Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

directional wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many cars were shipped with the same type of wheel on both sides, so one side "faces forward" and the other "faces backwards".
Only a subset of Roadsters came with 2 of one orientation and 2 of the other.

The "cardinal sin" is to mix up the two types on the same side. But otherwise, I think it doesn't really matter much.

Personally, I think the VDS screen gives some idea of the preferred orientation "chopping into the wind"...
vds-wheels1.png

Same in later owner's guide:
guide1.png

• Helpful
Reactions: lmore
I don't think the wheel direction has much (if any) effect on the way the car drives, so it is really a cosmetic choice.
I think having different orientations on the same side looks funky though.
Assuming that the other side was similarly mis-matched, one could swap a left and a right wheel to get the preferred directions on both sides.

Thanks for pointing this out. I thought I had a sense of details, but obvously not. The tires on the rear wheels are Nokian Hakka Blue, and they don't seem to be marked for direction so I guess the easiest would be to swap those. Then I end up with backwards wheels. The front wheels were purchased directly from Tesla so I guess they put the tires on backwards.

Yeah, many people don't pay attention, even when the cars came from the factory. I saw Roadsters with mis-oriented wheels straight from the factory, or after service.
It all boils down to the attentiveness and understanding of the person putting the wheels onto the car.

The be clear, I think on the later 2.5s most of the "pinwheel" wheels are mounted from the factory in the "backwards" direction, so it became "the new normal".
So the "square bladed" forged wheels were normally mounted like it shows on the VDS & Manual, but the 2.5s with the rounded off blades were normally mounted the other direction.
But there are so many exceptions, like cars that were shipped with all 4 wheels the same orientation, so one side will always be "backward" (or both sides will be mis-matched.)

It is interesting that your VDS sas "NL VIN". I didn't realize that they programmed into the car that it was intended for Netherlands. I always thought it was just North America or Europe ( / Asia ).

The rims are also stamped on the inside that indicate which side they need to be on, such as RH and LH. Also the 2.5 sport/forged rims are in theory functional to help cool down the rotors if mounted correctly. But in reality most people won't be driving hard enough to drive up the heat anyways unless they're very spirited or on the track.

But there are so many exceptions, like cars that were shipped with all 4 wheels the same orientation, so one side will always be "backward" (or both sides will be mis-matched.)
I had not heard before that this happened. It certainly would represent a deterioration from the original plans.

I remember when Martin Eberhard showed me EP1 shortly before the unveiling in 2006. He commented that since the wheels (the original square-bladed forged ones) were individually machined it did not cost any more for them all to be different, allowing the slanted spoke design.

the 2.5 sport/forged rims are in theory functional to help cool down the rotors if mounted correctly...

If those "fan blades" have any real impact, it seems it could work either way --- either blowing air towards the rotor, or sucking air from behind the rotor and blowing it out...
I guess it depends on how much positive (or negative) pressure might be developing around the wheel anyways from the wheel well airflow as you drive forwards.

I believe what the wheels are trying to accomplish is to pull the hot air out of the rotor, not into the rotor. Although the proper way to route the air is to pull it from the front sides and behind the rotor, then have the wheel pull the air (hot) out of the rotor and out though the outside of the wheel. The 2.5's have non-functional louvers / vents on the front side of the nose from what I've seen, if those were opened up you'd have more positive air flow behind the rotor if they directed the air behind the wheel. Would be interesting to compare the forged 2.5 directional against say the cast star wheels, hit the rotors with a temp gun and see if there's any difference. I think you're right that its just marginal the way they are designed with the Roadster.

One thing when you're messing around with different air pressures under the car is that you actually can create lift under the front of the car which isn't good at all for that you have less traction cornering and also if very high speeds are reached possibly cause the car to get airborne. Some people play with wheel well arch vents which produce more downforce on at the track, but its not good on the street since rocks and debris can be kicked up and exit out of these vents.

Brake cooling thru wheels - Automotive Engineering other topics - Eng-Tips

Aerodynamic flow in wheel arches and behind wheel - F1technical.net