TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Directional WiFi antenna?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Tdreamer, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

Has anyone else notice a huge difference in WiFi reception when retracting your outside mirrors? With my mirrors extended, I typically get one bar, maybe two of WiFi signal strength displayed on the CID. If I retract them, the signal strength shoots up immediate to four bars. Retracting them drops the signal strength back down. I wouldn't' have thought this would make any difference in signal strength. It does not seem to affect LTE strength indication when I have WiFi disabled in the same location - one bar LTE with mirrors extended and closed.

I am aware that the WiFi and cellular antennas are located within the right side mirror (passenger side mirror for LHD Teslas).

This is with my X in the garage - my WiFi router is in the basement on the same level as the garage, about 25-30ft away.

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Yeah, the wifi antenna is very sensitive to direction, and retracting/extending could significantly affect wifi signal strength. LTE tends to be at lower frequencies (or at least there are bands at lower frequencies that the baseband will automagically switch to) so it's less sensitive to blockage.

3. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

Nice to know - been wondering until yesterday why sometimes I had WiFi coverage in my garage, and sometimes not. I go back and forth between having auto-retract enabled....

Sounds like a feature request: WiFi signal optimized mirror mode, where it slowly homes in on best signal strength, and stays in that position while the car is in park.

• Like x 1
  4. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I notice that I lose a marginal LTE signal as I turn a corner so I definitely think the antenna is very directional.