Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in HOV lane without sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ya, cop was in the wrong. Called CHP earlier to make sure I wasn’t crazy and they told me that they “hope” their officers understand that the CAV decals let you take the carpool lane. The person I talked to basically told me to dispute it in court or file a written declaration. I also printed out the DMV statement so I can present it to any officers that decide to pull me over like this again.

Reactions: jwuwu and alexcue
I want to use a magnet too... Where did you get yours?

There's nothing special about these magnets. They are just precut to the shape of the decal. But I was just lazy and wanted something turnkey. They work well, and have never come off the car at freeway speeds. I always take them off as soon as I arrive at my destination. So I keep them on only when I know I'm going to use the HOV lane.

I was in a carpool lane getting onto the freeway I-580 (non fastrak). I was by myself and I also have the CAV fastrak transponder. I showed the cop my CAV registration and he said it didnt matter because it the decals only work in fastrak. I emailed the clean air board and they told me that I’m allowed to use the carpool lanes by myself. Now im debating if I should even drive in the carpool lane going going forward. Hate dealing with this type of crap.
sigh....it's not like the toll lanes on 580 were recently implemented, like the stretch on the peninsula on 101. No CHP cop should be clueless at this point....or ever really. File the written dispute, complain to the local CHP office about this waste of everyone's time. Maybe throw a bone to the press too - they're good at pushing these items.

I got letter size magenet sheet from Amazon, applied all 4 decals to the sheets and cut them out by myself, saved at least $50.
In the end, when I need the decals, I put two large ones to the rear, and not putting the smaller ones to the front at all. So far 50+ commutes not a single issue.

For the front license plate, I strongly suggest to have it. And wrap/stricker license plate is now legel in CA. It's just unfortunate that the wrap vendor is in monopoly now in CA. I think it's called License Plate Wrap, costing us $100+

Reactions: LBM4
Anyone here has issue with apply HOV decal on top of ceramic coating? I've been told that ceramic coating will need be removed from the area that I want to place the HOV decal before I can either put on a PPF then the decal on top of the PPF (my car doesn't have full PPF) or just the decal (which I hesitate to do because CA HOV Decal is notoriously hard to remove).

Anyone here has issue with apply HOV decal on top of ceramic coating? I've been told that ceramic coating will need be removed from the area that I want to place the HOV decal before I can either put on a PPF then the decal on top of the PPF (my car doesn't have full PPF) or just the decal (which I hesitate to do because CA HOV Decal is notoriously hard to remove).
I installed These PPFs first and then the decals. my Car was ceramic coated.

Reactions: SN111