Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in HOV lane without sticker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me the reason to not put the stickers on is they are ugly. California should come up with a smaller decal that could fit on the license plates or something similar. Since I rarely need to use the carpool lane, my thinking is to simply attach them with tape to the windows of my car when I am on a trip that I expect to need to use the carpool lane. Technically CHP could pull me over since they are not in the right location, but I think they would have higher priorities than that. Just like I notice many cars, including many Teslas, driving around without a front license plate.
The way I see it is you have a choice, put the ugly stickers on and drive in the carpool lane, or don't put the ugly stickers on and don't drive in the carpool lane. There are instructions to where the stickers are supposed to be placed and they are made, like your registration to be permanent until they expire or you don't want to use them anymore and remove them.
There's a big difference between a $500 carpool violation ticket and a $25 front plate fix-it ticket. So the incentive for the CHP to enforce carpool violations is obviously greater from a revenue standpoint. But, HOV lanes have Federal mandates for minimum speeds that must be maintained. If the State doesn't meet the minimum requirements they can lose Federal funding. So there's millions of dollars at risk giving CA incentive to enforce carpool rules vs your lack of a front plate.

Some stickers expired before. You risk getting pulled over if not correct stickers.
I got pulled over in model 3 and got ticket for not having sticker outside. I had stickers before but when I got my car wrapped I removed the stickers and put inside glove box cuz they won’t stick anymore. I showed my stickers to cops and told him they won’t stick. He still gave me ticket.

So the HOV sticker gets free bridge tolls too?
50% off within certain hours.
Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 1.18.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 1.19.02 PM.png

What happens if you have both a LEV and a HEV IE: 2 people in a Tesla. Do you get the 3 or more deal or well nothing because you can't double up?

BTW I thought the title of the thread at first was Dining in the HOV lane!
You can't double up on the discount, it charges $3.50 when you're within the time frame going through the HOV lane on the bridge. Fastrak toll booth will only scan your license plate or your tag to charge you. Technically when you drive through the the bridge HOVs with or without the stickers within that time frame, it'll only charge you $3.50, doesn't matter what car you drive through with. Those toll booths don't scan for CAV stickers or how many people you have. The cops are the only ones that can enforce the number of occupants and/or if the cars have the CAV stickers. That's why some people risk going through the HOV lanes hoping a cop won't notice and catch them.

If you're eligible, you can get a Fastrak Flex tag, About FasTrak - FasTrak, which is only for cars with the CAV stickers. The tag allows you to select the amount of occupants you have in your car. 3 people or more gets you free toll in most HOVs/Express Lanes around the bay besides the bridge tolls. I have one...and I just keep mine at 3 people because free toll and I get to drive HOV during rush hour.
Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 2.44.46 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: aspushkin
You can't double up on the discount, it charges $3.50 when you're within the time frame going through the HOV lane on the bridge. Fastrak toll booth will only scan your license plate or your tag to charge you. Technically when you drive through the the bridge HOVs with or without the stickers within that time frame, it'll only charge you $3.50, doesn't matter what car you drive through with. Those toll booths don't scan for CAV stickers or how many people you have. The cops are the only ones that can enforce the number of occupants and/or if the cars have the CAV stickers. That's why some people risk going through the HOV lanes hoping a cop won't notice and catch them.

If you're eligible, you can get a Fastrak Flex tag, About FasTrak - FasTrak, which is only for cars with the CAV stickers. The tag allows you to select the amount of occupants you have in your car. 3 people or more gets you free toll in most HOVs/Express Lanes around the bay besides the bridge tolls. I have one...and I just keep mine at 3 people because free toll and I get to drive HOV during rush hour. View attachment 791117

I have a flex but really have not used it yet since I have been retired and the pandemic had cut traffic dramatically.
now that traffic is picking up I have thought about but boy are tolls expensive for a long drive. Also you make me kind of wonder about how many people effectively cheat with those. Do the cameras try to count people in the car.

If you're eligible, you can get a Fastrak Flex tag, About FasTrak - FasTrak, which is only for cars with the CAV stickers. The tag allows you to select the amount of occupants you have in your car. 3 people or more gets you free toll in most HOVs/Express Lanes around the bay besides the bridge tolls. I have one...and I just keep mine at 3 people because free toll and I get to drive HOV during rush hour.
So the text you cited state that you can't use the flex pass set to 3, that you need the CAV one. But I'd hate to swap and then find myself in a rental car where I do need that passenger setting.

So the text you cited state that you can't use the flex pass set to 3, that you need the CAV one. But I'd hate to swap and then find myself in a rental car where I do need that passenger setting.
I think that’s a mistype as anybody can get a fastrak flex. The switch defines who you are. A single getting charged full, 2 people getting a discount, or 3 people getting by free.

The CAV tags it sounds like give a single person justification to set the flex for 2 people discount mode.

If you're eligible, you can get a Fastrak Flex tag, About FasTrak - FasTrak, which is only for cars with the CAV stickers. The tag allows you to select the amount of occupants you have in your car. 3 people or more gets you free toll in most HOVs/Express Lanes around the bay besides the bridge tolls. I have one...and I just keep mine at 3 people because free toll and I get to drive HOV during rush hour. View attachment 791117
By setting FasTrak CAV to 3 passengers while driving solo, you are basically doing what you said some people do? ("some people risk going through the HOV lanes hoping a cop won't notice and catch them").

I think that’s a mistype as anybody can get a fastrak flex. The switch defines who you are. A single getting charged full, 2 people getting a discount, or 3 people getting by free.

The CAV tags it sounds like give a single person justification to set the flex for 2 people discount mode.
No it doesn't give a single person that justification. If you want CAV discount, you need FasTrak CAV.

So FUGLY I won't consider spoiling the MY's aerodynamic chassis by putting such a archaic looking badge on it. Got my HOV sticker in the glovebox along with a PPF kit. Haven't had occasion to put it on and off yet but do occasionally weave in and out of HOV lane.

• Funny
By setting FasTrak CAV to 3 passengers while driving solo, you are basically doing what you said some people do? ("some people risk going through the HOV lanes hoping a cop won't notice and catch them").
That’s true.

My main commute is through the bay bridge from the east bay M-F which I’m not violating any rules there. IMO, I think the CHP pays more attention about an ICE car driving in the HOV without two/three people (Easier to catch and fine) than an EV with CAV stickers that’s solo riding with 3 toggle on a CAV tag. Is the cop going to stop me and check that my toggle is set to 1? Has that happened to anyone?
I think the CAV one looks just like the flex with a CAV sticker on the tag. You just need to send a scan of your CAV registration for verification and swap. If you have a rental car, you can just temporary add the rental car license plate to your fastrak account for during the rental period and it’ll be billed accordingly to your fastrak account. I’ve done that a few times. Just double check when you return the rental car that it’s removed from your account once you’re done with the car rental.

That’s true.

My main commute is through the bay bridge from the east bay M-F which I’m not violating any rules there. IMO, I think the CHP pays more attention about an ICE car driving in the HOV without two/three people (Easier to catch and fine) than an EV with CAV stickers that’s solo riding with 3 toggle on a CAV tag. Is the cop going to stop me and check that my toggle is set to 1? Has that happened to anyone?

I think the CAV one looks just like the flex with a CAV sticker on the tag. You just need to send a scan of your CAV registration for verification and swap. If you have a rental car, you can just temporary add the rental car license plate to your fastrak account for during the rental period and it’ll be billed accordingly to your fastrak account. I’ve done that a few times. Just double check when you return the rental car that it’s removed from your account once you’re done with the car rental.
Did you have a regular flex at one point t and switch to CAV. If so did they make you turn in the old one.