Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirt Roads and Salt Brine: Rusted 2 Y.O. Model Y Rear Brake Lines in New Hampshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Norway, road salt use is extreme, probably like some areas of Canada. A local company has developed a set of additional covers to install, that will cover this area, the big open rust trap area up front, and various other exposed places. They install it together with doing a treatment using Fluid Film products. It gets quite messy under the covers due to the Fluid Film, but *zero* corrosion issues. Re-treatment every two years to keep it effective. When that is done, they offer a lifetime warranty against rust damage. (not surface rust, which will at some points occur anyway)

Model 3/Y rust protection Check this here out to see what is done here. In Norwegian, but I guess you catch what it's about by watching the video anyway. :)
Thanks for the video. Very informative. I don't think we have those available out there yet, but I will keep an eye out for it. Thank you!

Wow, fascinating thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed to it. I got linked over from the 3 forum.
Image 26.jpeg

One question I had is why is the brake line corroded in one section and not the other? Is it touching the aluminum casting in the corroded section? Just wondering if maybe creating a little more space between the two would prevent that.
Image 25.jpeg

Here's the image from Quebec, which I flipped in order to get it in the same general perspective. The grit buildup seems to be greater in NH. Wondering if the grit builds up to match NH, will Quebec also have corrosion?
Image 10-16-23 at 11.15 AM.jpeg

Someone linked to that article in Minnesota, and I'm wondering if this is what is happening. Some areas are using Magnesium and Calcium which seem to be stickier or gunkier leading to far worse corrosion issues.

In general, where I live in rural Maine, they're not using the sprays, but the cheaper solid salts which they spread in a sand mix. I haven't seen this level of corrosion in my 5yr-old 3. Any thoughts?

I'm gonna go ahead and buy that fluid film and apply next week. Might as well get ahead of it. Thanks for sharing your story. Keep us posted of any new development. Thanks!!
All pads & rotors were corroded and both front calipers @ ~$1k each needed replacing bringing the total to just shy of $8000 including charges that they never got approval by us to make. Pads & rotors are really the only "normal" wear and tear item I've ever experienced.

Lack of parts available to my local mechanic through his suppliers meant that I had no choice except to use Tesla service at something like $200/hr (local is $60/hr). So on top of expensive OEM parts there was expensive OEM labor with no other option.

It's definitely changed our mind for our next purchase from a 100% a Tesla to "let's see what comes out with a NACS port next year".

I guess it brings a whole new meaning to YMMV.

Follow up - In the end, Tesla replaced both rear brake lines at no cost. The tech indicated he would be reporting the issue upward.
I now regularly power wash this area to prevent corrosive buildup, but if I didn’t, I’d be back in same situation…
Do you know who/how this was reported? I'd like to follow the same path if possible and see if they will at least cover the brake lines.

2023-10-27 13.19.59.jpg

Quick update on the repairs.

In case anyone is thinking of using the Peabody, Mass SC, you might ask how they plan to reattach the shield under the car. Apparently after charging $7500 in repairs using tiny zip ties is an approved method for reattaching the shield before returning the car to the customer. Not surprising the shield fell off while travelling at highway speeds. Tesla refused to pay to have the car towed and refused to even ship a new shield to us so we could install it ourselves. Instead they suggested we "stop by when it's convenient" to a SC that is 90+ miles away and not open on weekends. Thankfully we were able to limp over to my local mechanic and he helped reattach the shield properly.

Here in Norway, road salt use is extreme, probably like some areas of Canada. A local company has developed a set of additional covers to install, that will cover this area, the big open rust trap area up front, and various other exposed places. They install it together with doing a treatment using Fluid Film products. It gets quite messy under the covers due to the Fluid Film, but *zero* corrosion issues. Re-treatment every two years to keep it effective. When that is done, they offer a lifetime warranty against rust damage. (not surface rust, which will at some points occur anyway)

Model 3/Y rust protection Check this here out to see what is done here. In Norwegian, but I guess you catch what it's about by watching the video anyway. :)
Regularly applied Fluid Film is much better than cosmoline/tar type products. Salty water can't get trapped by the coating.

My Model 3 (2018) just started leaking brake fluid. I set up a visit with the Tesla SC. They said to get to the brake lines, then need to drop the battery, and it will cost $6220.70 for that repair!!! That is absolutely crazy.