TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dirty front rims on S85 RWD

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by EVChris, Jun 24, 2018.

1. EVChris

EVChris Member

Standard 19" aluminum rims. Car mostly garaged.
    Yes, it wipes off but is this sludge normal? Or is it a symptom?
    This is a rear wheel drive car and so the front wheels' friction brakes will be used more.

[​IMG]

2. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Yes, i have that also. It comes from cheap pads.
    I am going to change my front pads soon.
    Oh, they are 2015 corvette z06 pads. My buddy at NAPA sais exact same part number. His computer crossed them. Should take about 30 minutes to change.

3. EVChris

EVChris Member

Thanks. This is a 2015 S85 that I bought Used from Tesla. It had 6700 miles on it delivered and now has 9000.
    So I'm pretty sure I have stock pads. You're saying cheap stock pads.

Just to be clear, you're switching TO 2015 corvette z06 pads?

4. EVChris

EVChris Member

The original post wouldn't let me post a photo.

rim.jpeg

5. SSedan

SSedan Member

Have you adapted to "one pedal driving" if the rims are getting dirty you are likely using the friction brakes a lot and if you have only owned a Tesla for 2300miles I could see you still adapting, do you switch vehicles frequently and are intermixing your driving in an ICE hindering your personal adaptation to using the regen more?

Performance brakes dust, ceramic brakes have less visible dust.

Brake dust can be a symptom of crappy pads but it can also be a symptom of an aggressive pad capable of slowing 5000lbs with driver quickly, ZO6 is nearly a ton lighter but probably driven harder. I wouldn't pick pads based solely on what else they fit.

Some performance pads actually work poorly when cold and need some heat and abuse before they really work well, not a great characteristic for daily driving but great for hard use.