Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirty Headliner = Leaky Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about buying a used Model S online and paid for an independent inspection. The inspector identified a dirty headliner and provided the attached photos. I'm concerned this staining could be caused by a roof leak. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• head_liner_2.jpg
    head_liner_2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 73
  • head_liner_1.jpg
    head_liner_1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 57
yep. roof is leaking, Does it have a sun roof? If so the drains may be clogged
Thanks.

No sunroof on this 2017 100D. There appear to be leaks in two areas. On the passenger side center pillar in the "head liner 1" photo and the driver side screen pillar in the "head liner 2" photo so it might be both the glass roof and the windshield.

Since the car is out of warranty any idea on repair costs? Odds are I'll punt and just not buy it but it's in good shape otherwise and nicely priced.

Headliner 1 does look like water. My large dog sticks his big head between the headrest and the B pillar while I am driving to be close to me. I have a black headliner, but if I had a cream headliner, it would probably show dirt and water-drool marks in the same area as your photo. It still looks like water damage in your photo though. The A pillar damage looks like greasy fingerprints and not water damage to me.

Headliner 1 does look like water. My large dog sticks his big head between the headrest and the B pillar while I am driving to be close to me. I have a black headliner, but if I had a cream headliner, it would probably show dirt and water-drool marks in the same area as your photo. It still looks like water damage in your photo though. The A pillar damage looks like greasy fingerprints and not water damage to me.
Thanks. We have dogs and considered the same thing. The A-pillar dirt looks to be driver side so fingerprints would make sense. The B-pillar dirt is on the passenger side and oddly high so the dog idea seemed unlikely but certainly possible. Thanks for the replay and cute dog!

Reactions: DerbyDave