Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirty Windshield at delivery - my cleaning of inside has only helped a little

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my 2022 MS LR on January 2 in the evening while dark. Over the next few days the weather was constantly rainy/cloudy. A few days ago the sun came out and i noticed while driving into the sun alot of whitish haze on the windshield. As tho the car had been driven thousands of miles without cleaning. but i had had only dirven about 25 miles! Never experienced this with my prior Teslas. Anyway, i did my usual cleaning of the outside of the windshield with a bucket of water and a squegee and Eagle brand Auto glass cleaner. That didnt help. Today, i used just Eagle glass cleaner and paper towels and cleaned on the inside in front of driver and on outside as well. then, when i drove into the sun i could see this section has less 'haze' but still not all gone. I suppose i could try to use other chemicals (alcohol?) and microfibre towels. But, not inclined to do so unless i am sure it will work. Do you all have any surefire solutions? OR should i just schedule a service visit? I suppose Mobile service could do it, AND they would be familiar with this problem and have the chemicals and cloths needed.

That stuff is indeed a pain in the butt to get off. I've had it on almost every car I've owned, and I've been told that it's from off-gassing of some of the adhesives and materials used in the dash. I've never found anything specific that works perfectly in getting it off, but ammonia based window cleaner seems to do the best. Since ammonia isn't good to leave on the windows, however, I usually start with that and then do another cleaning with a vinegar based solution. Usually I end up needing both anyway. Most of the cleaning seems to actually happen with the cloth, so use plenty to actually remove the stuff. The cleaning solution just loosens it and if you don't use lots of cloths it just smears around and looks even worse.

You're welcome to try to get mobile service to do the job for you, of course, but I doubt they will. It's not really Tesla's responsibility to clean cars. Might be able to get a one-time exception though since you could argue that it should have been delivered clean and you weren't able to inspect that part since deliver took place at night.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I tried to take a photo this morning, but couldnt park at the right angle to really show it! I saw it clearly on one section of street but couldnt park there! The idea that it is off gassing sure makes sense. From what i can tell from some paperwork i saw I think the official manufacture date was around Dec 29. So, i picked it up less than a week after manufacture. And, since it is coolish/humid wintertime here in Bay area have not had windows open much to air it out. I would add that i saw traces of chemicals on the wood trim and the silver trim next to it, and got that off with Car Guys multpurpose cleaner. So, yea, they may have left too much adhesive or whatever in various parts of the dash. I tried cleaning with microfibre towels this morning and that helped a little, but left strange new little spots with strange radiating things. wierd. So, i will try some of your suggestions, but will likely take it to a detailer soon. Even it Tesla woould clean it for me, i kinda doubt the quality of their work for this kind of thing! What is wierd that i took delivery of my M3 and MY this time of year, and never noticed this kind of thing with them. But they have a much simpler dash construction. Cant help but wonder if Fremont cuts corners the last week of a quarter.

Reactions: GeoG
BTW reason I ask for a picture is I think I might have the same or similar problem. I only see it when the windshield is wet or damp - goes away when dry. Maybe try putting on some water and spreading it around with a microfiber, see if you see anything off. For reference, some other folks (non-Teslas) having the same problem:

My problem is definitely there when totally dry. I looked at your photo, but couldnt tell exactly what i was looking at. can you explain what the objects are in the photo, so i can compare to mine?

OK - looking at your photo again. I see it is looking down thru the windshield to the steering wheel. I see some gunk on the windshield. is that on the inside?
Yes, but this isn't my car, just a random pic on the internet. I can try to take a pic later and show but I don't think we have the same problem anyway as mine only shows up when there's moisture on the windshield

The "fog" is from off-gassing of the various materials in the interior, as was mentioned above. Mine had it as well, and it came off easily with a bit of elbow grease using a microfiber cloth and Griot's Glass Cleaner. (Someone recommended ammonia above -- don't do it! It's terrible for the rubber windshield surround and anything else you get it on.)

Reactions: Wilber
The "fog" is from off-gassing of the various materials in the interior, as was mentioned above. Mine had it as well, and it came off easily with a bit of elbow grease using a microfiber cloth and Griot's Glass Cleaner. (Someone recommended ammonia above -- don't do it! It's terrible for the rubber windshield surround and anything else you get it on.)
Thanks for recommending Griots. Someone else already had, so I ordered it online and arrived about the time of your reply. Today, i used it on the inside of the windshield and worked great! A huge improvement! Life is worth living again!

Reactions: hazeleyes