Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable auto high beam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my area, I rarely get Navigate on Autopilot (Single Blue Line) unless I am on the Interstate. Sometimes a very major road will show NOA. I think that is normal. I don't think your auto high beams are working normally though. They shoud not automatically switch from low beams to high beams when you have dimmed your lights manually, ever.

Also, you can always manually dim the lights by pulling back the light stalk to normal lights, and then press it forward to high beams when needed -- even with auto headlights enabled. You can always manually control the lights. It takes a second when you switch back to high beams for it to check if everything is OK if auto high beams is enabled.
When the auto headlights enabled you can't manually dim the lights by pulling back the light stalk to normal lights. To turn on the drive lights you have to do that manually

When the auto headlights enabled you can't manually dim the lights by pulling back the light stalk to normal lights. To turn on the drive lights you have to do that manually
I believe that is not the way it is supposed to work. I think there is either an error in the programming, or there is something broken. You must be able to manually dim the headlights when they are blinding oncoming traffic in auto mode. If this is the way the 2021s work, you should report this as a safety defect to NHTSA and Tesla.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I don't think your auto high beams are working normally though. They shoud not automatically switch from low beams to high beams when you have dimmed your lights manually, ever.
That's not true. If you look in the settings it even says, whenever auto steer is engaged that auto high beams must be engaged. So even if you manually turn them off, they will come back on when in autopilot or FSD beta autopilot for city streets.

Also discovered that whenever autosteer is on auto high beams is on by default. Funny though that it never turned high beams on so frequently before I got the FSD beta rewrite. At this point auto high beams just annoys other drivers at this point, Tesla needs to fix it soon.

Not sure what you mean by manually dimming the to get to the drive lights, because using the stalk is how you do it. But I think he meant that's how you dim the lights to normal. Although he had it backwards, you don't pull back on the stalk in auto high beam, you have to push forward on the stalk then the high beams switch to normal and the auto high beam icon goes away.

Even when auto high beams is on, you can always dim the lights manually. When you want high beams, switch them on again. It takes a second for the auto high beams to make sure everything is OK, and then the high beams come on. If you then encounter a time the high beams are not working correctly dim them manually. I tested this last night and it works on my car with the advanced FSD beta. If your car doesn't work like this, it is broken.
You have no idea what you’re talking about. Everything you say is absolutely 100% incorrect. You should test these things before you tell people on a forum how to do something when none of it works.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Everything you say is absolutely 100% incorrect. You should test these things before you tell people on a forum how to do something when none of it works.
Works for me 100% of the time. You just have different model that doesn't have a simple light switch stalk you can pull back to low beams. It does not move my stalk forward to high beams, which is required for auto high beams to work. Sorry you have such an advanced car that you don't get these cool features. You, sir, don't know what you are talking about. Thanks for your confidence.

Not sure what you mean by manually dimming the to get to the drive lights, because using the stalk is how you do it. But I think he meant that's how you dim the lights to normal. Although he had it backwards, you don't pull back on the stalk in auto high beam, you have to push forward on the stalk then the high beams switch to normal and the auto high beam icon goes away.
Are 2022 model Y does the exact same thing and it is ridiculously annoying. You pretty much can’t drive on auto pilot at night without the high beams flashing everyone around you.

Reactions: steele and Resist
Works for me 100% of the time. You just have different model that doesn't have a simple light switch stalk you can pull back to low beams. It does not move my stalk forward to high beams, which is required for auto high beams to work. Sorry you have such an advanced car that you don't get these cool features. You, sir, don't know what you are talking about. Thanks for your confidence.
You sir, are obviously a man of wit and high intelligence and your verbal sharp edge has really put me in my place. I am defeated.

Nice poodle by the way

While I'm still not happy with the Auto High Beam feature and that it's on by default for Autopilot (Autosteer) and the FSD beta, because most of the time it waits too long to go into low beam which causes oncoming traffic to flash me, I have come to terms with it and use the stalk to turn it off at times when it gets crazy. Sometimes is stays off for a long time but it always turns itself back into the auto mode. I really wish the software would allow us to keep it off while in the Autopilot and FSD beta mode.

Last edited:
Are 2022 model Y does the exact same thing and it is ridiculously annoying. You pretty much can’t drive on auto pilot at night without the high beams flashing everyone around you.
I agree. Our 2022 Model 3 does the same thing. At night, I can't really use autopilot because the highbeams are on much of the time when they shouldn't be and there is no way to turn them off

Reactions: steele
@Resist I feel your pain. I recently received my MYP and I keep blinding people on the highway at night. Since I don't have FSD, autopilot will disengage when I do a lane change, at which point I turn it back on. There doesn't appear to be a way to disable auto-high beams as the autopilot controls them :( so annoying and dangerous when driving at night.

The work around is to turn auto high beams off every time right after you reengage AP. It’s a pain but at least it stops blinding oncoming motorists. On my Y I turn them off by pushing the left stalk forward. Not sure how the S works.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lonewulf45