Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable Drive for Car Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm registering my Model S in a Car Show to support Honor Flight for Veterans. I would like to be able to have the car be "On" but not be able to be put into "Drive" while it's on display. Having a charge cable plugged in would achieve this, but I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

Any suggestions?

I'm registering my Model S in a Car Show to support Honor Flight for Veterans. I would like to be able to have the car be "On" but not be able to be put into "Drive" while it's on display. Having a charge cable plugged in would achieve this, but I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

Any suggestions?

I’ve used the charge cable method multiple times at car shows. I just leave the rest of the cable under the car or in the trunk. Simple, foolproof, and creates a discussion point for people who might otherwise not realize it’s electric.

I asked this very question last week to Tesla sales person at my local Tesla Store location. He said Hold down the Tesla logo for several seconds at the top of the display and you will get a popup field asking for an "access code". Type "showroom" and it will disable driving but allow other features to be demoed. It is what is used in the showrooms.
WAHHHHH???

Thats crazy! also awesome if true

I asked this very question last week to Tesla sales person at my local Tesla Store location. He said Hold down the Tesla logo for several seconds at the top of the display and you will get a popup field asking for an "access code". Type "showroom" and it will disable driving but allow other features to be demoed. It is what is used in the showrooms.

And how do you then get it out of showroom mode to drive home?

When showing the car, I usually leave the drivers door just barely latched and not fully shut. That keeps the screens on for about 30 minutes if there is no activity. The door handles remain extended so that is a drawback if you'd rather have them flush. But at least you can keep the key out of the car and it can stay on without the ability to shift into gear.

Something else I do at shows is keep the parking lights on. That has become more difficult with a recent software update and now requires getting out of the car first, then reaching back in through the window to turn them on. They do make the car look nice, though.

I've known about and used the showroom code for a couple years, but vowed to my OA that I would never spread it all over the internet. This is a horrible thing to blast out to the masses. I implore you to remove the post from here. It could have simply been sent in a PM.

Once some smart@ss gets wind of this, they can go into a showroom and turn-off the showroom mode on all the cars. Then, customers can blast the radio to 11, lay on the horn, spray other customers with washer-fluid, fill the showroom floor with water from the A/C creating a slip/fall hazard, and (if the key is close enough nearby) run over other customers.

If this code gets leaked-out, Tesla will remove (change) the code for the safety of the people in the showrooms, and the few of us who use it legitimately will be without.