Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable drive-train when on a (car) show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
Hi,

I was asked to show my Model S on a local conference/exhibition in two weeks and I said I was only willing to do so if I could disable the drive-train.

I'd like the car to be open so people can see how awesome it is, but I want to avoid anybody getting near it with the keyfob and starting the car.

Does anybody know about any fuse I could pull to disable the drive train but keep the rest of the car operating?

Just unlock the car, but store the keyfob elsewhere?
When I was driving a demo at the Eindhoven store, I could play with the car, screen, etc. but not drive it until the brought the keyfob.

Wouldn't that work? Probably need to disable 'lock-when-I-walk-away'

Just unlock the car, but store the keyfob elsewhere?
When I was driving a demo at the Eindhoven store, I could play with the car, screen, etc. but not drive it until the brought the keyfob.

Wouldn't that work? Probably need to disable 'lock-when-I-walk-away'
Hmm, that would work I guess.

I just want to prevent the keyfob going near the car. That's up to me.

You could plug the mobile connector into the car.
It doesn't need to be plugged into an outlet, and will not allow the car to turn on while it is connected to he car.
Ah, good one! That might be the best solution.

It's from a local energy company which wants to show off their charging system. We will simply keep the charging cable in the charging socket and the keyfob away from the car.

Put the fob in the Frunk. It won't be detected in there. When the time comes to drive the car, pop the frunk from the touchscreen. Just be sure to have the auto-lock turned off, and keep your smartphone handy in case you forget!

Plug the car in. Even a 110 outlet will do. That's what they do with the demo cars in the TMC stores/galleries. The car will refuse to move if plugged in but you can sit in it and play with the touchscreen and non-drive controls. And since it is plugged, you won't have to worry about vampire drain on the battery. And if you're going to be hanging around anyway, just keep the fob in your pocket.

Plug the car in. Even a 110 outlet will do. That's what they do with the demo cars in the TMC stores/galleries. The car will refuse to move if plugged in but you can sit in it and play with the touchscreen and non-drive controls. And since it is plugged, you won't have to worry about vampire drain on the battery. And if you're going to be hanging around anyway, just keep the fob in your pocket.
And for outdoor car shows?

I went to one show in a grassy field with huge trees sprinkled around; got a spot next one of the trees... plugged the UMC into the car, then ran the other end over to the tree.

When people asked, I said I was running on green power! :tongue:

In all seriousness, I'd recommend using the cable plugged-in method to ensure the car stays disabled. Have done that for multiple shows and it isn't a big deal to unplug & grab it when getting ready to hit the road. Usually I'll just spool the rest of the cable and plug into the nylon bag and slip that under the car below the charge port.

I like to think I originated this technique. I wonder if anyone was doing it before May

Top 10 tips for showing your model s in public - Page 3

Last summer (2012), when I visited the showroom in NYC, it was not "plugged in", but rather it was set to "limp mode" which was displayed in the console. Limp mode disables the accelerator so you couldn't drive away with it but everything else worked. I'm guessing that's only available to set through their service screen.