Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable lost key card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still a developing situation, but hoping to be prepared for either outcome:

Car is at a detail shop having tint issues resolved. One of the employees has lost the key card. We're able to unlock and start the car so that they can move it as needed (having some separate detail work done), but if this card doesn't turn up I would like to be able to disable it just in case. I can't find anything about disabling a missing card. Anyone know if this can be done without a trip to a SC? My wife has her paired phone for pickup so no issue there. And obviously if the card turns up in the meantime then we won't have to do anything.

Still a developing situation, but hoping to be prepared for either outcome:

Car is at a detail shop having tint issues resolved. One of the employees has lost the key card. We're able to unlock and start the car so that they can move it as needed (having some separate detail work done), but if this card doesn't turn up I would like to be able to disable it just in case. I can't find anything about disabling a missing card. Anyone know if this can be done without a trip to a SC? My wife has her paired phone for pickup so no issue there. And obviously if the card turns up in the meantime then we won't have to do anything.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Pages 10-11

Removing a key: When you no longer want a key to access your Model 3 (for example, you lost your phone or key card, etc.), you can remove the key.

1. On the touchscreen, touch Controls >Locks.
2. Find the key that you would like to delete in the key list, then touch the key’s associated trash icon.
3. When prompted, scan an already-authenticated key card or key fob on the key reader behind the cup holders on the top of the center console to confirm the deletion. When complete, the key list no longer includes the deleted key.

Note: Model 3 requires at least one authenticated key card or key fob at all times. If only one key card is included on the key list, this key cannot be deleted.

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt and dhrivnak
Guess I'll be finding a FedEx location later tonight

For me personally, the risk of having that last key card go missing would exceed the risk of the few days it might take for me to get back to the car to delete the now invalid key card. There is a little risk I guess that someone could seek out your car and take it, but it seems fairly low risk. But depends on your situation of course.

In addition, I agree that the way it is written it seems you need the second key card. You could try doing the deletion with a phone key present, but yes, it probably won't let you.

Getting another key card from the service center doesn't look like it will help because it appears that for any key card operation you need another key card. You should probably get that anyway, though, if the existing key card is confirmed lost! There seems to be some variability/dispute on the price. Tesla Store says $25, but there are (old) reports that your first replacement is free, and that some service centers sell them for less than $10. What the actual situation is, who knows.

For me personally, the risk of having that last key card go missing would exceed the risk of the few days it might take for me to get back to the car to delete the now invalid key card. There is a little risk I guess that someone could seek out your car and take it, but it seems fairly low risk. But depends on your situation of course.

In addition, I agree that the way it is written it seems you need the second key card. You could try doing the deletion with a phone key present, but yes, it probably won't let you.

Getting another key card from the service center doesn't look like it will help because it appears that for any key card operation you need another key card. You should probably get that anyway, though, if the existing key card is confirmed lost! There seems to be some variability/dispute on the price. Tesla Store says $25, but there are (old) reports that your first replacement is free, and that some service centers sell them for less than $10. What the actual situation is, who knows.

Good point. I'm not overly concerned about it, but it's made my wife nervous. She parks in our garage, so no one will be able to get to it when she's home. I doubt they're following her around waiting for her to park at work etc.

I'm just going to leave it alone for now. It'll be something to test when I'm back, if her phone could have unpaired the lost key - it's the key that her phone is paired to so I'd hate for it to work to remove the key but then disable her phone too before I'm back. It seems unlikely that would happen but better not to push it.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life