TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Disable reverse safety feature in valet mode

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by daviddavidw, May 22, 2015.

1. daviddavidw

daviddavidw Member

I keep getting valets complaining that they had trouble putting car intro reverse - it turns out it is the safety feature where it will shift into park from reverse when the seat pressure is reduced and no seat belts are on. I wish Tesla would disable this feature in valet mode since valets rarely wear the seat belts.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

A definite problem.

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I think the reasoning is: In reverse, if you overdo it on the accelerator you'll get thrown out of your seat, toward the steering wheel, and more importantly your foot will tend to push harder on the accelerator, making things worse. I see this actually as a pretty good safety feature that you don't see in other cars.

Having said that, I thought this only applied when one of your doors is open. (I tested this about 2 years ago, and that's how I remember it behaving at that time).

4. David99

David99 Active Member

I would hope, and I will never try this out, that the car will not accelerate and go as fast in reverse as it goes forward.

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

It doesn't. I've tried :). I think it maxes around 20 mph. Doesn't accelerate as hard in reverse (fortunately), but enough to throw you out of your seat and cause a crash if you're not buckled in and careful.

6. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I'd ask about the circumstances in which you'd tried this, but I'm scared to know the answer...

7. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Hmm... not my experience. P85D will accelerate quickly in reverse. I semi-punched it a couple of times in reverse and was pretty surprised that it didn't feel limited at all. I havent tried any > 20 MPH reverse driving though.

8. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

My P85 is power limited in reverse and has a top speed of 20ish (from what I remember)

And I've had the car go into park at a light before just by taking lifting my butt off the seat. can't remember if it was with or without seat belt on, but the door was for sure closed.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I've definitely had at least one embarrassing skid to a stop while backing into a parking spot when the car apparently thought I bailed out while it was moving. Door closed, but no belt on so I could see into the blind spot.

10. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Hours and hours of side by side video with nineteen cameras, but THIS you somehow failed to make a video of? :)