Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable Sentry Mode before updating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any input whether sentry mode should be disabled before doing a firmware update? Or even going as far as removing the drive from the USB port. Our 2020 X became a paperweight after supposedly the SD card that the vehicle using for nav data was corrupted and they were blaming sentry mode.

Thanks for the advice.

If you go through the Tesla App, it will not let you update unless you turn off Sentry Mode.

It has been like that from day 1 for me, just turn it off from the app, and do your update.

I agree - you MUST disable Sentry in order to update. The real question is... "WHY"??? I never understood why Tesla insists manual input to disable sentry and then update. Why can't they ask "Would you like us to disable Sentry and apply updates?" and then re-enable Sentry once the update is done? I always forget to re-enable it as the updates usually happen overnight. And what's worse is that it sometimes means I'll go for days with the icon indicating it wants to do an update, but by the time I see the icon, I need to drive and can't be down for 30-60 minutes. It's really annoying. Just do it as a part of the update!