Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable traction control and all nannies with dyno mode [no longer works]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can report that the SR+ in dyno mode is a tail-happy, but mostly predictable little beast. Also can report that if you let regen kick-in whilst sliding, you better have fast hands/feet and lots o' room. Fun, but not OK for the street/daily, especially if one habitually drives like a jerk.

I believe this is the first car where I won't be disabling the nannies immediately upon entering it/starting it. Like cOoTeR, I read the input online about dyno mode and was prepared for 'super scary death time' when I tried it. It was not super scary death time*. The car's manners are actually pretty great for an unmodified open dif RWD vehicle with >300 lb. ft. of torque off 'idle'. (off null / null pedal?)

*= UNless, as pointed out by dsgrbc, the surface changed while hooning, then look out, its prolly gonna try and bite... e.g. Taking an aggressive left turn across a concrete drainage trough flanked by rough asphalt was exciting.

EDIT= Can haz spelling

Wait, are you getting regen in dyno mode? Our LR AWD had zero regen in dyno mode.

Wait, are you getting regen in dyno mode? Our LR AWD had zero regen in dyno mode.

I think Cooter answered a few posts earlier. The way I read it is if you are on a dyno and the wheels are moving but the car is not then the system disables regen. However, if you are in dyno mode and actually driving and moving as normal then regen is active. Is that your experience?

Good question! I feel like I remember seeing some normal regen when driving normal/gentle. I only assumed that the ‘tank slapper’ I had was a side effect of regen. Didn't have time to inspect the screen for a green bar, as lifting while already sliding a little caused it to go very sideways, very fast. Had to quickly get back in it and steer out of a couple decreasing-strength oscillations, as I wasn't in a smart place for that type of sideways. That rattled me enough that I don't trust my memory re: regen working normally in dyno mode.

I think Cooter answered a few posts earlier. The way I read it is if you are on a dyno and the wheels are moving but the car is not then the system disables regen. However, if you are in dyno mode and actually driving and moving as normal then regen is active. Is that your experience?

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking or not, but I was definitely stopped when I enabled dyno mode. And then I was certainly moving after, because I was driving on roads. Hmm.

Y'know I've had a lot of issues with how our Model 3 is behaving in Winter. If I'm an outlier here, I wonder if something is actually wrong with my stability/traction control systems, which might explain both the omission of regen in dyno mode as well as the shockingly bad behaviour on ice in some cases (which I've documented elsewhere -- feel free to read my post history if interested, just don't want to derail this thread too much).

Good question! I feel like I remember seeing some normal regen when driving normal/gentle. I only assumed that the ‘tank slapper’ I had was a side effect of regen. Didn't have time to inspect the screen for a green bar, as lifting while already sliding a little caused it to go very sideways, very fast. Had to quickly get back in it and steer out of a couple decreasing-strength oscillations, as I wasn't in a smart place for that type of sideways. That rattled me enough that I don't trust my memory re: regen working normally in dyno mode.

Well, you would have probably immediately noticed if you didn't have regen so your assumptions are probably correct. Model 3 is very obvious when regen is gone, even if you're used to the Low setting. Braking seems extraordinarily difficult in comparison and you become really aware of the weight of the car!

There's still something missing for us poor people that couldn't afford a performance model. A simpler one slider setup to control the level of traction and stability would work, or a simpler "fun" mode like my past wrx that uses a lower preset of nannies... Anything would be great. As always, to be used with caution.

There's still something missing for us poor people that couldn't afford a performance model. A simpler one slider setup to control the level of traction and stability would work, or a simpler "fun" mode like my past wrx that uses a lower preset of nannies... Anything would be great. As always, to be used with caution.

Slip start. It allows a bit more freedom without the out-of-control downsides of dyno mode.

I'll say that a better way. Slip start will reduce traction control and let the wheels spin a bit. As soon as you turn the steering wheel and the car thinks maybe you might turn a bit with wheels slipping, stability control cuts power. There is absolutely no way to even slightly drift the back end. Stability control is very aggressive (it plays very safe) on this car.