Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable traction control and all nannies with dyno mode [no longer works]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, yes.
AWD + completely open axle diffs are VERY unpredictable. I suspect EVs of similar setup require extreme finesse to control. I suggest anyone playing in the snow with this mode one allow for ample run-off room.
I guess I've got to get a set of wheels for autocross and try it out to see what you guys are talking about. My experience with an open diff in a RWD car is that it's impossible to get any power down out of a corner due to inside wheel spin.
The AWD Model 3 seems like it would be quite a bit different than an open diff ICE car since there is no center differential.

Thanks for sharing my reddit post. Haha :(

yeah I’ve done my share of performance driving with RWD and awd cars before. Nothing like this has ever happened to me. Totally different beast. I’m glad the only real damage is the lower control arm in the rear. Bad one is out and new one is shipping tomorrow ($150 from eBay). I’ll leave my rims rashed as a reminder that I’m an idiot.

your instinct when losing traction is to lift. With regen braking, it clearly made everything worse. I’m pretty confident I will not be turning on this mode ever again.

Damn...i was hoping this was my solution for better snow driving with the awd. From what I read here it's not. What do we have to do to get a "sportier" snow driving mode without disabling everything?
I'm hoping Tesla sees everyone doing this and understands we just want more control on the level of traction control and stability

Damn...i was hoping this was my solution for better snow driving with the awd. From what I read here it's not. What do we have to do to get a "sportier" snow driving mode without disabling everything?
I'm hoping Tesla sees everyone doing this and understands we just want more control on the level of traction control and stability
yeah, exactly this. I wanted to be able to get the car a bit squirrly, like any normal high performance gas car. But this was much different. From what I've heard through the grapevine, even experienced drivers who have been able to drive this mode have issues occasionally.
How do you then turn it off?
get out of the car and let it turn “off”. Once you get back in and press the brake to turn it back on, it’s back to normal

Reactions: docdeb27
There’s a great Motor Trend article which details how much of a dangerous mess Track Mode originally was, and how much work went into getting it functional and controllable.

Turning off all the nannies in these things seems an excellent way to wreck your car in a most remarkable way.

You guys have really got me intrigued. I just can't understand how a vehicle that doesn't even have enough torque to do a burnout, 50/50 weight balance, and has super precise throttle control could be hard to drive without traction and stability control. When I'm ready for new tires I'll definitely try it out at autocross...

You guys have really got me intrigued. I just can't understand how a vehicle that doesn't even have enough torque to do a burnout, 50/50 weight balance, and has super precise throttle control could be hard to drive without traction and stability control. When I'm ready for new tires I'll definitely try it out at autocross...

There's insufficient torque to do a burnout because it's software limited/controlled. THe way I've read it makes it sound like dyno mode removes that control, and just allows max torque application, regardless of the amount of wheel spin. Thus, people getting themselves in trouble for trying this on public streets.

Let me know when you're heading to Qualcomm to try this out. I'd love to spectate...

Reactions: JGard
There's insufficient torque to do a burnout because it's software limited/controlled. THe way I've read it makes it sound like dyno mode removes that control, and just allows max torque application, regardless of the amount of wheel spin. Thus, people getting themselves in trouble for trying this on public streets.

Let me know when you're heading to Qualcomm to try this out. I'd love to spectate...
Dyno mode has exactly the same amount of torque from what I've read, 0-60 is the same. I'm trying to get @AlanSubie4Life to get a set of wheels and RE-71Rs for his Performance that I can borrow. It sounds like dyno mode uses the default torque split which starts as RWD and goes to AWD at high throttle inputs. Seems like a recipe for understeer but I'm no expert.

Dyno mode has exactly the same amount of torque from what I've read, 0-60 is the same. I'm trying to get @AlanSubie4Life to get a set of wheels and RE-71Rs for his Performance that I can borrow. It sounds like dyno mode uses the default torque split which starts as RWD and goes to AWD at high throttle inputs. Seems like a recipe for understeer but I'm no expert.

Same total/max torque, sure. But I'm speculating (because I don't know, obviously) that when that max torque is available is much sooner and more immediate during dyno mode, and it does not consider/care about the wheel spin.

Tell him to hurry up! :p I've got a track set of RE71R, but I don't want to waste them... Will wait unti they need replacing.

Is it really harder to control than a Mustang at cars and coffee? :p

Absolutely. That's why I covered my post with warnings (and sure enough within hours someone got into an accident). It's why I haven't posted details on the CAN traction disable I've been working on the last few weeks. And I really did start calling it Mustang Mode a while ago....

Josh Wardell on Twitter

...and that's because I nearly completely lost it myself rounding a corner at 10mph. Seriously, RWD and a little dampness goes straight for the sidewalks.