TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Disable your key with your phone

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by David99, May 23, 2015.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

I found myself walking up tot he car a few times and the handles didn't come out. At first I couldn't figure out what it was as it only happened here and there. I finally realized I was holding the key fob and my phone pushed together in one hand. It seems the key and the NFC chip/antenna in the phone don't get along or maybe they even talk to each other. Whatever is happening, the car won't open. Moving the key from the phone will instantly bring everything back to normal.

2. Tabarnouche

Tabarnouche Member

That happens to me a lot with both my MS and my ICE. Tesla actually put something in the owners manual about it: "Radio equipment on a similar frequency canaffect the key. If this happens, move the keyat least one foot (30 cm) away from otherelectronic devices (phone, laptop, etc). "

3. wonko

wonko Member

I have my Samsung Note 3 and my Tesla key in the same front pants pocket. Moving the key next to the phone instead of on top of the phone is enough to make the key work.

4. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

#4 Patrick W, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Not exactly the same thing but related.

I find that when I'm listening to podcasts on my iPhone certain functions of the car like opening the rear trunk shuts off the podcast.

Another first world problem. :)

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Fob in pants pocket, phone in shirt pocket. Works every time.

6. davecolene0606

THIS is what the "watch pocket" on Levi's jeans (right side 505's and others) is made for! Who knew ole Levi and Strauss had such futuristic foresight!

7. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

right pocket and left pocket... no issues...
    Do use the "watch pocket" when wearing levi's

8. garygid

garygid Member

I think that there is a "feature" that turns the audio volume down substantially
    whenever any "door" is opened, to avoid annoying nearby people.

9. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I don't know if it is a selectable feature (but then there is so much I still have to learn about the car). But every time I open the door with the radio on the volume drops considerably.