TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Disabled Safety Features

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SnakesOnAPlane, Sep 11, 2019.

1. SnakesOnAPlane

Brand new, just got it yesterday. Going around the turnpike on ramp spirited (nothing crazy, just +5-10 over normal) and this comes up:

BCF282D1-8A57-4436-8237-A50D1E758FAC.jpeg

Took about 1hr15min to get Tesla on the phone. 15 min of attempts to resolve it thru various reboot methods. No dice. Have to take it in tomorrow. Man this car really drives like poo without these features.

2. SnakesOnAPlane

I managed to clear it all. Took 2 more resets past the 2 Tesla had me do, and driving it. Note, a reset to Tesla tech was Safety & Security > Power Off > Wait 3 min (don’t touch anything) > Tap Brake > Open Door. Earlier, he did have me try the steering wheel/brake display reboot method after the reset.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

There are only two ‘resets’. Reboot via the steering wheel and power down via the menu. So doing it several times actually cleared it? The Brake pedal does nothing.

Repeated reboots have been known to have an effect as well as the power down. You do need to wait a few minutes before opening a door to start the power up process.

Weird that a reboot/power down helped with errors like those but good to know!

4. SnakesOnAPlane

It’s done it again, just moments ago, unfortunately. I took off fairly fast from a stop light that was a right hand turn onto a main road. Both times this had happened it was while going around curves briskly. Currently going thru a reset.

5. SnakesOnAPlane

First reboot and then a drive around the parking lot got everything back but regen and traction. Will try another shortly after I’ve had my Starbucks.

6. ValleyGeek

ValleyGeek Member

My 2017 model X did the same thing this past weekend. I was also able to clear it with repeated uses of the power off method but it came back after about 50 miles. It really does completely change how the vehicle feels while driving and truly shows how heavy it really is. I was on the beach at the ocean the first time it happened, then on the highway in AP the second (that was a bit startling...).

I scheduled a visit to the service center and it's currently in now waiting on parts. My assumption is that a sensor that is part of the front drivetrain isn't performing properly - the only thing that explains disabling all those features. That's only a guess though. They are hoping to have it done mid-week and I can report back then with what they did.

• Like x 1
  7. ValleyGeek

ValleyGeek Member

Got my X back today and it was indeed a front wheel sensor causing my issue. I'm still under warranty so it was a pretty painless visit - they took care of a couple other issues so it was in for about a week total.

I've only driven about 15 miles since getting it back but no issues so far.

AP Failure Correction.jpg

• Like x 1