Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disabling explicit lyrics... doesn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was happy when Tesla introduced the option to disable explicit lyrics in streaming music in v9, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working. I've got a 2014 Model S.

I assumed it was an issue with Slacker not realizing the songs had explicit lyrics, but with one song I am aware of, the album cover shows the explicit lyrics warning, and right on the Slacker site it shows that it has explicit lyrics.

The worst part is that troubleshooting this takes forever: you have to either wait for a song to come on that you know has explicit lyrics, or wait until you feel you've gone through enough songs that it is skipping the ones with explicit lyrics.

I *assume* that Tesla's proprietary "on/off" switch in the "Explicit lyrics" settings is set up so that bright blue means that explicit lyrics are on/allowed, and that if it is the light background color explicit lyrics are off/disallowed.

Any ideas on why songs with explicit lyrics aren't being skipped?

I noticed the same thing taking my kids to school today. I thought maybe with one of the updates, maybe the "without explicit lyrics" button got turned off. But nope....it was still on. Wish it was a little more aggressive at filtering the adult language.

My issue isn't aggressiveness: the Tesla says explicit lyrics are disabled, but it is enabling them. As in no songs with explicit lyrics get blocked.

It's kind of like the difference between autopilot not working well on side roads (to be expected giving today's technology) versus turning it on on the highway and having it not move the steering wheel at all (broken feature).

Does this feature work for anyone? Do some people find that they do NOT get any songs with explicit lyrics with streaming?

On a related note, it would be nice if you could delete a streaming station from your recent list (could use a similar interface to how you delete an app from an iPhone - just press and hold for a while and then an X appears to let you delete). I've asked the car to play a song with a racy title and then that title is displayed in the recent list pretty much forever with no way to clear it. Not great for when the kids are in the car.

For faster "troubleshooting",
Choose a Weird Al song, like "White & Nerdy". Without "explicit lyrics disabled" 80% of the songs/tracks have explicit lyrics. With it disabled, well, pretty much the same.
I have a Weird Al station set, trouble is it is a comedy station and the next thing played might be Lewis Black or Dane Cook..... Kids are well trained though they point out what is coming on soon as the cover art comes up and I manually skip. I don't block it because I will listen to it when they aren't in the car.

On a related note, it would be nice if you could delete a streaming station from your recent list (could use a similar interface to how you delete an app from an iPhone - just press and hold for a while and then an X appears to let you delete). I've asked the car to play a song with a racy title and then that title is displayed in the recent list pretty much forever with no way to clear it. Not great for when the kids are in the car.

Commit to the longer term, search the band then use the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons to shape the channel, provided the band name isn't as bad as the song title.

I was happy when Tesla introduced the option to disable explicit lyrics in streaming music in v9, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working. I've got a 2014 Model S.

I assumed it was an issue with Slacker not realizing the songs had explicit lyrics, but with one song I am aware of, the album cover shows the explicit lyrics warning, and right on the Slacker site it shows that it has explicit lyrics.

The worst part is that troubleshooting this takes forever: you have to either wait for a song to come on that you know has explicit lyrics, or wait until you feel you've gone through enough songs that it is skipping the ones with explicit lyrics.

I *assume* that Tesla's proprietary "on/off" switch in the "Explicit lyrics" settings is set up so that bright blue means that explicit lyrics are on/allowed, and that if it is the light background color explicit lyrics are off/disallowed.

Any ideas on why songs with explicit lyrics aren't being skipped?

I can't even figure out how to display lyrics.. is there a settings to do that?

MCU 1 Model S 2017