TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Disabling TPMS in EU TMS?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by leifarneb, Aug 14, 2013.

1. leifarneb

leifarneb New Member

Greetings and salutations the North Pole! (close enough... Norway)
    I´m due to receive my TMS (together with a load of other norwegians) in sept/oct here in Norway, and I am curious to understand whether one can disable the tire pressure monitoring sensor/system in the Tesla Model S?
    I´ve heard some rumours that its not possible due to US legislation/regulation, but i cannot see how this can be when all other brands sold in the US have the possibility to disable TPMS (for example Porsche).
    The reason why I´m asking is that I need to order separate studded winter tires, and I do not particulary fancy the 19" rims from Tesla nor the tires or price that they come at. OEM sensors etc makes the whole ordeal a lot more expensive than it needs to be so I thought i would just disable TPMS when using the winter tire set.
    In my BMW 2011 5-series disabling TPMS was a straight forward operation involving to buttons on the iDrive.... and the TPMS would switch off.
    Can anybody with Model S shed some light on this issue?
    Best wishes,
    Leif Arne B.
    Norway

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The answer is currently "no", TPMS cannot be switched off. For the first month of my car's life, it had the warning up constantly due to bad tire sensors. I didn't like it but I ignored them..

3. William13

William13 Member

I have had the tire pressure warning on twice for multiple months. No problem ignoring the warning.

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I didn't put TPMS in my winter tires. As William said it's rather easy to ignore the warning.

5. Bigbit

Bigbit Member

Maybe Calling Tesla about it and ask them to disable them would be an option? I heard they are quite helpful in situations like this

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

In the US, TPMS is a requirement and it may have never been designed to allow ignoring its warnings. In the EU, it's a requirement from next year onwards. I would imagine Tesla would configure the ability to reprogram the TPMS for different sensors before they'd allow it to be switched off.