Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disagree with Elon, 400 EPA miles is NOT enough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Op here. Well real world is backing up my original statement, but a proposed SC location for next year will change alot.

First, On a cold weather drive to where there is a SC, it used at a rate that gets 226 miles from a 371 mile rated X. My car has 20,000 miles and is down 4% on range already as I get 320 or 321 at 90%. So that's a best of 355 miles now down from 371 in 20k (real bad considering I have charged to 100 % about 3 times and never under 10%. Try to avoid SC as bad for battery also(Scan My Tesla shows 16% SC usage). Normally charge to 60 to 90% daily depending on what doing. 60% for 20 mile days and 90 for trips. Try to stay around 50% for the used range as 20-80% best for battery. Not liking the degradation getting on H battery).

So degradation bad even though trying to be nice to battery. Back to range. That 226 is total range I would get in the cold, with preheating at 2-9 deg f outside going between 55 and 65 on open road. That's 442 watt/MI VS summer getting close to the rated 279. That range isn't enough. Charge to 90%, don't Stop below 10% and get more like 180 mile total usable range to not hurt battery. Cold range is like 50% EPA Rating.

Other things. Spend night at son's place. End of a trip so got there at 23% Charged on his L2 3kw charger at -15f and got to 51% after 15 hrs charging. Getting 2kw/hr as battery warming taking the rest. Didn't preheat as battery not charging fast enough to warm cabin. Home 60 miles later at 4deg f with 17%. So about 30 kw for 60 miles or 500watt/mile. 80% of usage is closer to 160 miles only at that rate. Ouch and not even close to 371 EPA miles.

Other thing realized, ICE cars only go 300 miles about before need refill. But there are gas stations in every little town 20 miles apart here. L2 is pretty useless in the cold when on the road, look at son's use above, so L3 SC it is. Those are not 20 miles apart. If every gas station had 4 it would be SO differernt. But instead beholden to where Tesla puts the SC. On that note, one is now planned 60 miles from home, right on path to cabin. So if goes in next year that cuts longest leg to 155 miles. Still a bit scary if very cold and snowy as 180 is real range, but doable.

Until then, we have used original option 5 to go to cabin. Take ICE Caddy and burn gas. It sucks to have to do that, but we get there this way.
I will say SC isn’t bad for the battery at all, in fact, I feel it’s good for it. It’s free for me so I use it even when I don’t have too. What I do try to do is avoid charging battery at SC if I know the battery is likely hot to start with. I’ve never heard the roar of high speed cooling happening during SC. I also DON’T let the car precondition for SC.

I don’t think 100% SOC hurts either and also occasionally good for it. As long as you drive it promptly. I drive it immediately after 100% charge.

I think what hits most people on degradation is charging daily to 90%. I leave the car daily at 80%. I’ll bump it up to 90% if it makes things more convenient or cheaper.

I also never extrapolate my 100% charge range. It may be better range than you think and better for the battery than you think.

I also don’t let any apps run on it.