Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappearance of FM radio station logos on dash display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

berkeley_ecar

S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017
Jul 21, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I purchased the MCU2/HW3 upgrade for my 2017-vintage Model S over a year ago, and when the FM radio module became available, had that installed as well. I was happy to get back FM radio reception, but noticed that the colorful and informative station logos that appeared on the dash display with my original equipment were no longer displayed. There is some brief textual information displayed below the white "ghost logo" that is now displayed for each station, but only for very few stations. I believe the text and logo information is transmitted in some sort of digital sideband associated with stations (perhaps a more technically knowledgable "radio-head" can explain all of this more clearly). It's a very minor point, but nonetheless disappointing, that my new hardware/software is less capable in this regard than my original setup. I suspect this could be easily addressed in software? (Understanding that there are obviously higher priority items on the to-do list).

Reactions: mikeyg_ev
I note that several other members have mentioned problems with the non- or incorrect display of radio station logos. I was pleasantly surprised several weeks ago when one of the logos for a favorite FM station suddenly reappeared on my Model S dash display. However, it was alone, no other stations displayed a logo. Then that logo disappeared. After a week or so, multiple logos reappeared for half a day, then disappeared. I updated to firmware 2022.4 just today, and there are
now no logos (just a gray box with a musical note appearing within it), but some limited text information is displayed above and/or below the gray box for a few of the stations. The interface for operating the FM radio is completely brain-dead for FM -- who designed this!? It's shocking to see such shoddy UX design work in a relatively expensive vehicle. All of this was elegantly handled when I first drove away from the Fremont factory in 2017.