Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappearing Destination Chargers? - Southwest Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

XHokie

Supporting Member
May 27, 2016
NoVA
I am planning a trip to the Blacksburg/Christiansburg, VA area and happened to look on Tesla's Charging Map to confirm which hotels at Destination Charging options. I know for sure there used to be at least 3 or 4, maybe more, in the NRV area. Now, the map only shows two remaining: the Holiday Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg and the Courtyard Blacksburg. There's also the Inn at Riverbend, but that's a little further out of town.

Tesla Charging Map - SWVA

Am I the only one that's noticed this or does anyone know what has caused the other Destination Chargers to disappear? I know Hotel Roanoke has one and I swear a couple of more in the Blacksburg area had them. Is something going with Tesla's Destination Charging program or are hotels finding these not to be cost effective and decommissioning them. I hope not, but maybe I missed some news/communication on this...

Hey fellow Hokie! I think the ones you mentioned are the only Tesla Destination Chargers that I've seen in the NRV area. Most of the others in Blacksburg are J1772 public chargers. I travel to Blacksburg pretty frequently and I either stay at the Courtyard with the Tesla Destination Chargers on-site or at the Residence Inn or Hyatt Place (which is closer to campus) and charge for free at the Kroger gas station a short walk away. The Residence Inn recently installed J1772s but you have to pay to use. The Inn at Virginia Tech also has J1772 chargers but you have to be a guest and activate it with your room key.

With regards to locations showing up on the Tesla website or car navigation, it's up to the business if they want to be listed or un-listed. One business owner I spoke to (that wasn't listed) ran into an issue with his utility (SMECO) where the way the chargers were hooked up to the meter caused him to get hit with a huge surge fee if two cars charged at once. So he asked Tesla to remove the listing but kept the chargers active. Others, like bed and breakfasts, may not want to be listed as to not attract passerbyers.

Hope this helps!

I'm heading down to the spring game next weekend. I'll charge up in Lexington before arriving at my in-laws Smith Mtn Lake house in Hardy Friday evening. Its gonna be close going from Lexington to Hardy to Blacksburg back to Hardy and then to Lexington again. There a chance I can make it with some 110 charging but I'd love to get a little bump in the burg. I'll have to check out plugshare or Kroger