Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappearing Icons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Had some weirdness with my 17" screen today. As I pulled into the garage and went to tap the battery icon to set up my charging, I noticed several icons were gone from the screen. The little icons on the climate control bar that show the fan speed, recirculate status etc. were just gone. When I tapped the battery icon, others started to disappear, like the clock and temperature displays. They just vanished.

Oh well, I figured it was time to re-boot... so I did. Then more weirdness. When the 17" came back up, everything was there but the touch interface wouldn't work. Everything was running and I could control what you can from the steering scroll wheels, but the 17" itself would not respond at all. I re-booted a second time and it seemed to restore full functionality.

I've had some earlier weirdness with the 17" as well. One time I had to re-boot while driving to restore the 3G connection and it took about 15 minutes to restore, and caused the dash display to also shut off for about 5 minutes before everything finally came back.

I'm not sure if "normal" is the right word, but is it "normal" for this type of thing to happen from time to time on systems like this?

For something like this - call the Tesla Assistance line - and get their opinion. If you've rebooted and the problem goes away - and doesn't recur - then don't worry about it.

But if it comes back - get Tesla on the phone - and let them give you advice on what to do - and if you should have the local Service Center check the system for you.