Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappearing Maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving on the A272, from the A24 to Winchester on more than one occasion the map display simply disappeared.
Does this mean that the maps are not stored in the car computer, so it has to download maps?
Can anyone explain?

Thanks...

Not unusual in that part of the world in my experience, as the car loses signal. Always assumed it’s updating the satellite view panels as it needs them, I’d never thought of switching to the basic view to see if it made any difference.

Certainly as far as vector (non satellite) maps are concerned, I think a partial base map is downloaded, but detail seems to have to be downloaded - its quite likely cached thereafter. I think the download occurs ahead of time so its largely transparent. When detailed map is not pre loaded, you see a 'fuzzy' base map that when signal returns, becomes more detailed. None of this affects routing though, as that is all done offline by Tesla servers. Can be a problem if initiating a nav request when car is transitioning from wifi to lte, or no internet connection. You can't even find sat nav destinations in that case. Sometimes sending a destination from phone helps in that situation as whilst it may not initially help, it does allow destination to be safely entered whilst parked in time for when the car does pick up an internet connection and you may be driving.

I've seen this too, a loss of mobile signal and the map (the base map, not just satellite) vanishes and becomes a chequered pattern. When it happens I also get an E-Call error, obviously because of no signal.

I thought the base map would be cached, but seems not always as this was in a location I go to frequently.

I didn't have any navigation set, maybe this is a factor.

I’ve had this once in the past too. It doesn’t really makes sense though. Why were we all waiting for the 2021 map update if it only gets it with data connection? I’m confused 😐
The "map update" you're waiting on is the Navigation Data that's used internally by the car / sat nav to plan and navigate routes, it's not what you see displayed on the screen.

My maps also disappeared today but I had a strong 3G signal so not sure if it's the same issue as @Peter 224 reported?

I always use the satellite maps but today I entered an area and all I could see was the arrow indicating my location against a beige background with a grid. No satellite imagery, no roads.

When I've driven through areas of no signal before, I usually see a blurry satellite image but always see the roads. I think the roads are part of the maps download, even if the satellite image is not? Lasted a couple of miles then the maps returned. This was a busy intersection after exiting a motorway.

Yesterday I experienced a weird glitch where within the map a black rhombus appeared that had an unknown section of road within it, it certainly didn't represent a road I was near and it had traffic data showing that suggested it was really busy. It was basically a skewwhiff picture in picture, bottom left hand side of the map whilst the usual map and satellite view remained in focus. As I continued driving the black PIP slowly went out of frame.

I'm on the 2021 maps with 2021.4.18. Did the usual brake pedal reset after installing 4.18 and after noticing I'd received the new maps around 5-6 days ago.