Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappearing Miles (SHOCKED )!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeh my experience (in this particular car with no heat pump, etc.) has been that in the middle of winter, there is F-all squared heat that comes from the motors (relative to what is needed to raise battery temps from near freezing to 30C+) and pre-conditioning on the way just otherwise eats into the already limited winter range.

Preconditioning may be more sensible for the wider good of the 'fleet', shall we say, especially newer cars with heat pumps that are more efficient at recovering heat, and from the point of view of collectively better charging time, vehicle throughput/efficiency at the SC's but from a personal perspective (on this car) it otherwise just eats range and is needlessly spending on electrons. The penalty is charging time, but as this increases with age anyhow isn't vitally important.
The free supercharging is also likely to change what conditions you might want to supercharge in. As a refresh model 3 LR owner on a long run, a supercharge happens in the middle of (or more likely towards the end of) a long drive after a 100% charge is severely dwindling, typically after driving at motorway speed for 4 hours. Even if the waste heat from the motor isn't huge, it can build up over time and provide battery heating for the cost of running a coolant pump.
With free SC, you're more likely to want to charge on shorter trips.

M3 LR (2022 model 6k on the clock)

We visited several distant family members over Christmas which was only our second long journey since buying the car in March. I was SHOCKED at the loss of mileage. We had a few stops and starts and few short family plug-ins but here are two examples:

Journey out: Started with 345miles on the clock, drove 194 miles (<4 hours) arrived at destination with 68 miles on the clock (83 miles lost somewhere)?
Journey back (up to Hilton Park Services): Started with 184 miles on the clock, drove 108 miles (about 2 hours) arrived at destination with 40 miles on the clock (36 miles lost somewhere)?

The weather temps was plus 9 to 14 degrees.

I am in shock; is that normal; how the hell can I plan a journey with miles disappearing at that rate?
Please look at this quick video from today YouTube I probably should inflate my tires more (41PSI)

I kinda wish Tesla would just remove the miles option from the display. It’s a fictional number based on ideals that is unachievable in real life.
Also baffles me how many times you have to explain this to people and yet they still haven’t a clue and think their mileage is “disappearing “

FWIW today I’ve just completed an identical journey to that I did in September about a 400 mile round trip. In September the average temp was about 12 degrees and dry and the efficiency was 220Wh/mile. Today Wet with average Temp about 3 degrees the efficiency was 270Wh/mile so about 20% worse off seems about right for your figures.

Tesla have to provide an estimate. That can take into effect some aspects, temperature, weather, but it will always be an estimate.

"Lost miles" are due to physics, battery chemistry & probably sentry mode.

ICE cars are very inefficient & use brute force to make progress. Generally people don't notice their diesel is using loads of fuel when cold. EVs are more efficient & all sorts of things make a difference.

For anyone researching before buying a Tesla - plenty of youtube videos (Bjorn Nyland, Andrew Till, EV Man, R Symons) explaining this, I'm sure there are plenty of forum posts here, stickies here. Worth knowing how to get the best from any car.
  1. Weather
    1. Temperature
    2. Water in air (humidity, rain) & on road surface
    3. Air pressure
    4. High winds
  2. Heat - better to use seat heating rather than air (pretty minor)
  3. Sentry mode on - computer is on, uses energy
  4. Heating battery, stop, reheat might take a lot of energy depending on situation & length of stops
  5. Pre-heating for Supercharger - you can swap kWh for time by navigating to a nearby point (hotel, shop) rather than Supercharger, might take a little longer to charge, but saves some kWh/money
  6. Luggage - worth buying a towbar version & towbar luggage instead of roof box - I'm looking at YOU Andrew Till - top-box to Italy - pfft!
  7. ICE vs EV - acceleration in an ICE uses a LOT of fuel, EVs - not so much. High-cruising speed in EVs have a bigger effect because EVs are more efficient & air-resistance is a bigger factor.
  8. Drop 5mph can make a huge difference
  9. Tyre pressures (lower in cold as air pressure related to temperature, less range with low tyre pressures) - I prefer setting to higher end of range if I'm starting a long trip or series of them.
  10. Driving, smooth, one-pedal driving vs unnecessary use of brake
  11. Possible to have a sticky brake, check temperatures (hand, temperature gun - dunno)
  12. New energy graph/details worth investigating
    (first video, should be better ones)
    1. 3 tabs, Drive, park & Consumption - below is just from "Driving" tab
      1. Driving
      2. Climate
      3. battery Conditioning
      4. Elevation (up/down hills)
      5. Everything else
      6. Gren - good (better than car expected)
      7. Orange - worse than expected
View attachment 889173View attachment 889174
I think my Audi etron GT has a better system. When you step in the car it will adjust the mileage based on what you will do next.

Examples:
250 miles left.
you switch on AC: 235 miles left
you set car to sports mode: 245 miles left
you set destination in navigation system, most is down hill: 265 miles left.

In the mountains, going downhill it was always fun to see the miles left going up in the Tesla. In the Audi, when using navigation, it always goes down but increased the moment you set designation.

Think this is a much better way with less surprises.

I think my Audi etron GT has a better system. When you step in the car it will adjust the mileage based on what you will do next.

Examples:
250 miles left.
you switch on AC: 235 miles left
you set car to sports mode: 245 miles left
you set destination in navigation system, most is down hill: 265 miles left.

In the mountains, going downhill it was always fun to see the miles left going up in the Tesla. In the Audi, when using navigation, it always goes down but increased the moment you set designation.

Think this is a much better way with less surprises.
I think that is bit misleading from Audi’s part!

I think that is bit misleading from Audi’s part!
Not sure what you mean. If I drive over the mountains to Italy I do not have to calculate, like with my Tesla, that going down 50 km will give me more km‘s left Audi is doing this. It also is interesting what AC costs km wise etc. As said, it is all more predictable and during the 17k driven until now spot on.

Reactions: M1tch
My model s 75d is officially 305 miles range. Reality is its about 240. I've had 280 once.
In winter I'd say its about 120-140.
Ev manufactures need to start putting different ranges just like ice vehicles.
Max possible range
Average range summer/winter
Also take into account nightly drain

Tesla still have best average ranges of all ev IMO. When I see an Audi listed with their max range I shudder to think what the real range is
Audi probably has an EPA testing range algorithm and a real range, both developed by the DieselGate team.

This is normal. I have seen > 50% range loss in the worst case conditions (freezing weather, thick snow, heater blasting, high wind, hills, performance model, etc). Aka ive started out > 200 miles and drive 98 actual miles and arrive with 1-2 miles range left. Its happened a few times.