Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappearing software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I think that this has happened at least twice now... Yesterday when I got home from work, I noticed it was downloading a new software update. Checked out the version and its the one with Disney+. I got the notice on my cell thru the Tesla app too. I thought cool, I'll let it update tomorrow in the parking lot while I am at work. Today, there is no option to install the update. I check the app on my phone, nothing there either. How can I get the update back?

Same thing happened to one of my Teslas yesterday as well. It's set to standard, not advanced updates, so if they really pulled because it had issues, it seems late to pull it (or not many people use advanced updates so the version didn't get much testing).

I believe an important part of the recent updates (particularly the minor bug fixes) are driven by data collection for FSD training. Tesla asks cars for videos of specific cases to train the Neural Network. This is why there has been an increase in “Minor Bug Fixes” releases recently as they fine tune FSD Beta. Tesla targets certain cars/areas with their updates based on what they need, i.e. if you mostly drive in rural and they need city streets you won’t be prioritized to get the update.

Also if they get enough cases then they may withdraw/slowdown updates to focus on other releases with items they need. Which is why your install ‘disappeared” or was deprioritized.

So I actually created a service appointment for this. Got a call later this afternoon about it from Tesla, and they said the update was pulled. Maybe there was something wrong with it, or maybe I don't drive on the right roads. But the tech said there was no issue. I'm pretty sure I got this same update with Disney+ pushed and cancelled about a week ago too...