Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

disappointed after M3 handover event? please consider this...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteveG3

Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2012
US
Entry Level Model S

2013 .................................................... Today

Price*...........................................$69,500 ................................................ $69,500

EPA Range ..................................218 miles ..............................................249 miles
0-60 mph* ...................................5.5 seconds ..........................................4.3 seconds
Smart Air Suspension ............... option ($thousands) ............................ Included

Power Liftgate .............................option package items ......................... Included
Ambient Interior Lighting ........... part of a total package**
Nav w/real time traffic ............... cost ~$4.5K
HomeLink

Center Console ............................option ~$1K ........................................ Included

Active Safety Tech
Collision Avoidance ........................all............................................................all
Auto. Emergency Braking ..........unavailable........................................... Included
other a.s.t.

Side Mirrors
Power folding .................................all ..........................................................all
auto dimming ........................... unavailable ........................................... Included
heated

LED turning lights ..................... available (?) ......................................... Included

LED Fog Lights ......................... option.................................................... Included

Here's my point, limits to my TMC chart-making skills notwithstanding,

I was hoping for more range on the base model myself, but, I don't see Tesla's strategy as trying to game the public by offering as little as possible for as much as possible. Consider all the value added to the entry Model S over the past 4 years was without ANY competing long range EVs reaching the market in the Model S' class to date. That is, Tesla enhanced value by adding many many features, battery size, and improving performance for the same price, not because the market place required them to, but because with the passage of time, Tesla was able to add more capability to the Model S for less cost.

Similarly, in time, with the GF and Fremont reaching volume production (which means markedly lower costs for Tesla to produce the Model 3), it is all but certain that Tesla will offer more value because they will be able to. Producing an affordable EV that is compelling to as much of the market as possible is an ongoing process, and the tax incentives are there to help accelerate the process (yes, I realize not everyone qualifies for them, they are not perfect).

As I said, I was hoping myself for something like 240 miles of range for $35K, so I "feel that pain" some myself. If these specs are a deal breaker for anyone, that's their own call. Maybe you buy another car, or maybe you wait to see what kind of value Tesla will offer you in a couple of years. That said, I strongly sense that this is simply about the path to producing compelling mass market EVs being challenging, rather than Tesla trying to offer as little as possible for as much as possible.

* a few of these numbers on the 2013 Model S 60 are based off memory and may be slightly off.

** I'm not sure if all the parts of the original total package are now all included in the base vehicle.