Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed by 20" Michelin PS4 S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model 3 Performance originally equipped with stock 9" x 20" ET34 Uberturbine and Pirelli PZero.
Not amazed by this combo I changed rims with Lightweight 8.5" X20 rims. I continued with Pirelli PZero and the handling was way better than before.
When finished the outer side of the Pirelli (to little camber ) I changed (finally) to PS4S .
ARE Michelin Pilot Sport 4S known as tires with "soft" shoulder? I mean not rigid enough?
With fast changes of direction I feel a "disconnected feeling" like if the shoulder of the tire is flexing , resulting in a "pudding" sensation.

With with Pirelli Pzero I was with some slippery traslated controlled sensation of the rear.
With PS4S I feel it glued to asphalt during the turn, but in the change of direction I feel that the shoulders are flexing ( a sensation like if tires are not inflated enough).

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Big disclaimers: I haven't used the PS4S or any Michelin summer tire since the PS2.

If memory serves, Michelin max performance summer tires (~ 300 TW), like the PS2, are generally known for having somewhat soft sidewalls, relative to their category. That's not to say super squishy like a non-performance tire, just softer than the stiffest, sharpest feeling tires in the category. The upside is the Michelins tended to ride better than those extra stiff tires, and were still among the very best for grip, just softer and less immediate in feel.

I'd heard the PSS (Pilot Super Sport) was an exception (I never used it), with notably stiffer sidewalls, but when the PS4S came out early reports were the sidewalls felt softer again, more like the PS2. (Again, not lacking grip for the category, just softer sidewalls than some.)

Last edited:
If you're looking for a very sturdy, responsive tire in this category, with more grip than the PZ4, I can recommend the Bridgestone Potenza Sport. Very responsive with sturdy feeling sidewalls even in the 245/45R18 size I'm using. Significantly more grip dry and wet than the OE PZ4, and much less squealing in hard cornering than the PZ4.

I cannot say how the Potenza Sport comes to the PS4S though, but if I had to guess, I would bet the Potenza Sport has somewhat sturdier sidewalls and sharper responses, at the cost of ride quality. (But in my 245/45R18 size still rides well of course. ;))

Big disclaimers: I haven't used the PS4S or any Michelin summer tire since the PS2.

If memory serves, Michelin max performance summer tires (~ 300 TW), like the PS2, are generally known for having somewhat soft sidewalls, relative to their category. That's not to say super squishy like a non-performance tire, just softer than the stiffest, sharpest feeling tires in the category. The upside is the Michelins tended to ride better than those extra stiff tires, and were still among the very best for grip, just softer and less immediate in feel.

I'd heard the PSS (Pilot Super Sport) was an exception (I never used it), with notably stiffer sidewalls, but when the PS4S came out early reports were the sidewalls felt softer again, more like the PS2. (Again, not lacking grip for the category, just softer sidewalls than some.)
Thanks, I used 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sport (old tires DOT 2016) just before to install the PS4S .
They were with better feeling (stiffer sidewall feeling) but obviously they were a bit slippery due to age. Definitively I preferred the Pilot Super Sport, but in the wet they were very dangerous.