Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed by Poor Interior Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always felt the interior was beautiful. It reflects a style that is truly modern in a "form follows function" way. Unfortunately, it's not a style that appeals to the masses...the vast majority of whom would be miserable in a Frank Lloyd Wright home. I hope Tesla resists the temptation to turn this fine modern interior into some sort of gentleman's pub/cigar lounge/Lazy Boy showroom.

Er, as much as I am a HUGE fan of FLLW, actually those quotes would be attributed to Ludwig Mies van der Rohe: "Less is More" and "God is in the Details"

Agree with the sentiments however.

Hmm... Seems impossible to explain quality issues vs design.,, give up...

I get you. But think about it: without design change, if Tesla would just change the surface feel, texture and thickness in the door panels for example to a "richer", thicker and more luscious leather would this nit be a step towards the cigar room/men's room sofa feel that fits in a Jag or MB but nit in a modern vehicle like the Model S?

I said this before to unhappy Tesla owners and I'll say it again.
If you don't like your Tesla, you could just gave it to me.

We love 'em. We just want them to be all they can be. A better version of itself. Also, if you beat your oponents on 9/10 important variables why be satisfied and not try to beat them on the 10 variable as well (interior quality)???

Hmm... Seems impossible to explain quality issues vs design.,, give up...
I don't have my car yet (but SOON). However, whenever i looked for a car in the past, one of the first things i would do is open and close the doors. If one felt a solid "thunk" vs a tinny "slap", this was, to me, an indication of quality. This is totally aside from the appearance or brand. It is much the same with furniture for me. I will always open a drawer to see if it is put together with dovetail joints or otherwise cheaply tacked together. Another indication of quality over simply design.
Does this help your definition?

I don't have my car yet (but SOON). However, whenever i looked for a car in the past, one of the first things i would do is open and close the doors. If one felt a solid "thunk" vs a tinny "slap", this was, to me, an indication of quality. This is totally aside from the appearance or brand. It is much the same with furniture for me. I will always open a drawer to see if it is put together with dovetail joints or otherwise cheaply tacked together. Another indication of quality over simply design.
Does this help your definition?

I understand your definition well, and agree with you. But you can't separate design from quality. Did you know many of the big car manufacturers use hundreds of hours on designing door that give that big, solid, thight thunk we like? They get the best thunk by both ways of design as well as quality.

Maybe, but who cares since it's the best car.
Well, after the first month or two, most people are not thinking about which specific wheel design they got, rather what they see and interact with on a daily basis, which is the interior. Yes all the tech side is wonderful, but when you put your foot down in your turbocharged ICE, do you think about the turbocharger and how it is working or do you simply accept the fact that you have increased power and can accelerate faster? Personally, my annoyance with my current Mercedes is that while it has electric seats, there is no seat memory, so when another family member drives it, it is a pain in the tush to get it back the way i want it. On a daily basis, that is more important to me than the the underlying tech, which is quite good.
So, Yes, while i cannot personally comment on the Model S yet, If indeed there is a materials used quality issue, then, at the price point of the vehicle, people have a right to be annoyed. (I know all about the wonderful tech and the fabulous driving experience - i have had my reservation in now for 3 3/4 years, and have been on the forums all that time!!)

I normally don't respond to trolls, but do I try to keep both hands on the steering wheel when I drive, don't you? The arm rest is thus superfluous, even tough it does exist. Did you miss it?

The arm rest is there, but it's so far back it's more like an elbow rest. I have never been in a car with such a poor armrest!

* some of you took this quite personally… perhaps I hit a nerve and you don't want to acknowledge the facts?

Yes, I took the pictures at Columbus Circle in NYC. Not because I don't have the car, but because I was traveling and there it was.

I honestly have better things to do with my time, and taking the photos of the car in a well lit area (vs. my garage) was just more convenient.

I will try to get out of the car and get something else.

There really is no real innovation in this car at all.
It uses off the shelf batteries with a conventional steel/aluminum structure.

The 17" screen is an iPad knockoff, with latency and a slow internet connection. And I'd rather have some buttons to give feedback. It's dangerous to be looking at this screen while doing 100 mph.

I fell for the hype and bought is sight unseen. Big mistake.

I'm posting here to tell potential buyers to really evaluate the car and look at things like interior material quality, rather than assume it's in the league of the Germans/Japanese; because it's clearly not.

The arm rest is there, but it's so far back it's more like an elbow rest. I have never been in a car with such a poor armrest!

* some of you took this quite personally… perhaps I hit a nerve and you don't want to acknowledge the facts?

Yes, I took the pictures at Columbus Circle in NYC. Not because I don't have the car, but because I was traveling and there it was.

I honestly have better things to do with my time, and taking the photos of the car in a well lit area (vs. my garage) was just more convenient.

The 17" screen is an iPad knockoff, with latency and a slow internet connection. And I'd rather have some buttons to give feedback. It's dangerous to be looking at this screen while doing 100 mph.

I'm posting here to tell potential buyers to really evaluate the car and look at things like interior material quality, rather than assume it's in the league of the Germans/Japanese; because it's clearly not.

First you complained about the interior. Now the battery technology is not innovative? The screen is an iPad knockoff? Your garage is too dark to take pictures? You bought site unseen? But the first time you had a chance to take pictures of your disappointment in the car is at a Tesla event? You are full of BS, Tech Co CEO. Give us your VIN and prove us wrong. Otherwise take your trolling elsewhere.

I get you. But think about it: without design change, if Tesla would just change the surface feel, texture and thickness in the door panels for example to a "richer", thicker and more luscious leather would this nit be a step towards the cigar room/men's room sofa feel that fits in a Jag or MB but nit in a modern vehicle like the Model S?

There are two schools of thought about this. People have told me they like the leather on there because it's not as coarse as other cars. So it's a matter of taste rather than quality.

I am sure that with so much disappointment you have decided to sell your car. Perhaps you could post a link to your listing on cars.com / ebay / craiglist / Tesla forum. We could then direct interested buyers your way:wink:

What kind of person is driving 100mph regularly, and on top of that dumb enough to fiddle with controls while doing that speed?

Last edited:
Er, as much as I am a HUGE fan of FLLW, actually those quotes would be attributed to Ludwig Mies van der Rohe: "Less is More" and "God is in the Details"

Agree with the sentiments however.
Me too, study architecture and he was so forward thinking and clean design. We have a county civic center he designed in the 60's that fits into the hills and was thought to be very controversial in the day. Still looks futuristic and one of the most beautiful buildings in the area. Similar to the interior of the Model S.