Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed by Poor Interior Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fully recognizing the troll for what he is, he has raised a concern that I'm hoping you guys who actually have the car will alleviate for me: a real person with a real vin number and a real order of a P85D who really did buy the car sight unseen. Is there any validity to the concern about the arm rest being a bit far back? I'll probably add the center console later, but on advice read here, want to try things with the open space first, and may be stuck console-less for some time, as I definitely do want my console to match my interior, so I am on the waiting list for the obeche-matte console. I know that I like to rest my right arm on my current console. In the main picture of the interior on the tesla site, there is an image that shows the center armrest and cup holders. Does the leather portion slide forward to cover those cup holders if you're not using them? If so, I expect I have nothing to worry about. If not, is resting your arm on unevenly on the leather and the empty cup holders uncomfortable?

Thanks!

Edit: I just searched for photos, and found some that look like the cupholders must be covered. Assuming so, the question then remains, is the armrest comfortable, and set forward enough?

Fully recognizing the troll for what he is, he has raised a concern that I'm hoping you guys who actually have the car will alleviate for me: a real person with a real vin number and a real order of a P85D who really did buy the car sight unseen. Is there any validity to the concern about the arm rest being a bit far back? I'll probably add the center console later, but on advice read here, want to try things with the open space first, and may be stuck console-less for some time, as I definitely do want my console to match my interior, so I am on the waiting list for the obeche-matte console. I know that I like to rest my right arm on my current console. In the main picture of the interior on the tesla site, there is an image that shows the center armrest and cup holders. Does the leather portion slide forward to cover those cup holders if you're not using them? If so, I expect I have nothing to worry about. If not, is resting your arm on unevenly on the leather and the empty cup holders uncomfortable?

Thanks!

Edit: I just searched for photos, and found some that look like the cupholders must be covered. Assuming so, the question then remains, is the armrest comfortable, and set forward enough?

Yes, the center armrests slide forward to cover the cup holders when they are not being used. I find the center armrest comfortable, albeit a little further back than previous ICE sedans.

Thanks!

As has been said many times, if you drive with both hands on the steering wheel you really do not use the arm rest. Having said that I do find myself resting my right arm down some times but usually not while driving. The cup holders are covered, and if you really use cup holders those are not placed very well, so the center consol would be a good thing to have.

They do slide forward, and this is the first time after being on this forum for two years that I've seen anyone, real or imaginary, complain about the armrest.

And we complain a lot here. ;)

Actually, I do believe there has been a lot of complaints about the armrest (here's one: The center armrest is too far back!!). "Hands at 10 and 2" is hardly a valid excuse either, because well, what do we have armrests for then?

The the question, for me, the armrests are awkward in that if you use the cupholders then it becomes uncomfortable to rest your arm. With them slid closed though, I find them perfectly acceptable, even if a bit far back.

The arm rest is there, but it's so far back it's more like an elbow rest. I have never been in a car with such a poor armrest!

* some of you took this quite personally… perhaps I hit a nerve and you don't want to acknowledge the facts?
People tend to respond poorly to lying trolls.

Yes, I took the pictures at Columbus Circle in NYC. Not because I don't have the car, but because I was traveling and there it was.

I honestly have better things to do with my time, and taking the photos of the car in a well lit area (vs. my garage) was just more convenient.

I will try to get out of the car and get something else.
Traveling for business no doubt, you must tell me where you buy your business sweat-pants busyman. I know I probably won't have the time to pull my phone out of my pocket and take some pictures of the actual car I own to share with friends/family when it arrives. Who can be bothered for such things... you've got an internet to troll!

There really is no real innovation in this car at all.
It uses off the shelf batteries with a conventional steel/aluminum structure.
Yeah, notice how they get the exact same range and performance as every other electric car? They really dropped the ball on that battery. And as far as I can tell, they didn't invent a single new alloy or element to be used in the construction of this vehicle? What kind of lazy car company are they?

The 17" screen is an iPad knockoff, with latency and a slow internet connection.
Aside from it having a touch screen, which nearly ever device does these days... how is it anything like an iPad?

And I'd rather have some buttons to give feedback. It's dangerous to be looking at this screen while doing 100 mph.
Then maybe you should look at a car that has buttons. And what exactly is safe about going 100mph on public roads in the first place?

I fell for the hype and bought is sight unseen. Big mistake.
Then the problem is with you, not with the car.

I'm posting here to tell potential buyers to really evaluate the car and look at things like interior material quality, rather than assume it's in the league of the Germans/Japanese; because it's clearly not.
Most people (except you it seems) know to do research on a purchase of this magnitude before buying.

If you want to post legitimate concerns, you can do that... but you come in here posting pictures of a car that isn't yours, and making ludicrous claims like you cannot be bothered to take pictures of your own car, or that you bought it fully loaded sight unseen and everyone is going to assume you're a liar and a troll.

There are plenty of threads here where people are having legitimate discussions about what they feel are issues with this car. Not everyone loves the interior it is true. But it seems you're not interested in legitimate discussion, just lies and trolling.

Yes there are some people who bought the car sight unseen. And I'm sure they did plenty of research. Hell if I couldn't do a test drive in my home state I would've taken a weekend trip down to LA or some area where I could've. If you can afford to buy the car sight unseen, you can afford a quick weekender to a place where they're available to test drive.

I'm disappointed by the trolling, but more disappointed by the snide and non relevant nature of some of the replies. I do appreciate digging into more info on the event and truth of what the poster is claiming, but factual vs. supposition or just attacks on appearance, age, etc.

Stupid, moronic troll people come here all the time and try to make outlandish and completely false claims about this car. I appreciate the vetting that takes place here and at TM forums. It's nice to know that idiot trolls will be brought down by the community.

- - - Updated - - -

100% agreed, and those posts went off to snippiness. Troll or not, we can disagree or pick apart someone's post without stooping to personal digs.

My response went to snippiness but I made no "personal digs" other than to ask questions about the OP's motives. I think we may be getting a little overly sensitive around here. Yet no posts that actually called the OP a "troll" - arguably a personal attack - went to snippiness. Double standard?

EDIT - never mind, I got confused with another thread. Need more coffee.

Last edited:
My response went to snippiness but I made no "personal digs" other than to ask questions about the OP's motives. I think we may be getting a little overly sensitive around here. Yet no posts that actually called the OP a "troll" - arguably a personal attack - went to snippiness. Double standard?

Which response is that? I moved 3 posts, none of which were by "AmpedRealtor" unless you post under multiple names?

It's what happens when a lot of people are passionate about something.

Obviously the majority of this community are fans of the product, but I think overall people pretty good about weighing things equally, the good & the bad. You just gotta have a logical argument, and if you come in trying to flame or rile up emotion, it's going to backfire in your face.

Too many holes in this guys story.
- Cropped the crowd out of the photo along the funk (or is it just that white?) to hide that he was at an event
- Setup the photos as if they were his own car
- Has been too busy to get photos of his car (seriously, who buys a new car [any car, not just Tesla] and doesn't immediately snap some pics on their smartphone to share with out of town friends/family?)
- Only admitted the photos were not his car when he got caught
- Only posts on the whole forum are in this thread
- The absurd claims that he didn't know what he was getting into when he bought a "fully loaded" $100k car...

The last one is the worse. If his story is true, then its just about the dumbest thing I've heard someone do.

Ultimately, there's been plenty of healthy discussion about the interior and how some people don't feel it "lives up" to the price of the car, and other's who like it. It's not like its a taboo topic which people are going to flame him just for bringing it up. It's all about how you craft the message sometimes. He did poorly in that regard.