TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Disappointed in Tesla's pricing on paint

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by timk225, Aug 2, 2018.

1. timk225

timk225 Active Member

See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.

• Disagree x 74
    • Funny x 14
    • Like x 9
    • Love x 1
  2. m3tx

m3tx Member

gasp, why are you insulting my car?

btw, don't you have your car already? I don't think they plan on asking you for more money for the paint if you already have your car :)

• Like x 15
    • Funny x 13
    • Helpful x 1
  3. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

How is this a trick? Are buyers not shown the pricing when they order?

I think the word “trick” doesn’t mean what you think it means.

• Like x 18
    • Funny x 2
  4. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

What a trick! A company adjusting prices, it's never happened before and is so shady I'm cancelling my order right now. Damn businesses doing business!!!

• Funny x 12
  5. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

I have no issue with those prices for premium paint. They are cheap compared to competitor's paint options. I DO have a major problem with them offering 1 basic "free" color, that's a total joke and is unheard of across the industry.

• Like x 8
    • Disagree x 5
  6. azaz

azaz Member

this is literally untrue. most competitors only charge between 500-1000 for paint. The A4 for example only charges 575$ for most colors. the BMW 3 series only charges 525$ for multi coat paint options.

you and others on this forum dont have to defend tesla for every single thing, fact is that 1500 for paint is roughly triple what competitors are charging. frankly i think this is something temporary because Tesla is desperate to turn a consistent profit and the pricing is ridiculous otherwise.

• Like x 20
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Indeed. I'm not sure what's worse - having had 2 blacks and 2 whites, a general paucity of interesting colors, or now only having one non-upcharged color (ain't nothing free about a Tesla).

Not that I would own a cargo van white car any more than I would own livery black. The pearlescent white has grown on me, I have to say. The OCPP brings out a certain... depth - which is nice. It's not as interesting as the steel grey (renamed midnight silver) was, which had flecks of blue in the metallic - really nice in the sun.

I'd pay for a proper British racing green, something a little darker than the RIP titanium, or a really good blue (see Volvo or Porsche). Solely due to years of deprivation in the available palette otherwise :).

• Like x 1
  8. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    Tesla turning a profit and investing in new products (Semi, Pickup, Y, Roadster 2, etc.) depends, of course, on people being willing to pay lots of money for cars. I think most of us want Tesla to succeed and change the world for the better.

There's nothing really wrong with black as a car color. If someone wants a different color, that's really a "want" and not a "need". Tesla has no obligation to keep color prices at a given level.

$5000 for AWD seems reasonable when you consider that it also comes with significantly faster acceleration.

That said, I'm glad we already ordered our blue AWD Model 3! But these price increases won't be "make or break" for anyone who is really determined to order a Model 3 with AWD that's not black.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Look on the bright side, your non-black car just appreciated in value :p

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  10. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Tesla doesn’t even offer a transparent paint option probably so we can’t see through their lies ....

dammit I’m cancelling....

I’m cancelling my order.

• Funny x 19
    • Like x 5
  11. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Tesla can charge whatever they want. It's up to you whether or not you want to pay for it.

• Like x 15
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Member

Other manufacturers also charge more for Pearl White than other premium colors. Probably safe to say some paints cost more to apply or cost more in material. As Elon starts to have better understanding of his costs, you may see some fluctuations in the car costs.

He reduced the costs of the dual motor option and the performance model. Why didn’t you go ape crazy on this consumer cost saving “trick”?

I also heard a rumor that Elon is looking to make Tesla profitable instead of going bankrupt

• Like x 7
  13. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

I can see being pissed off if you're in the UK still waiting to configure or holding out for the SR version whilst watching the car options getting increasingly expensive.

I'm not excited for my turn on the wrong side of the Tesla price fluctuations when on January 1st Elon announces that all the cars are $3000 cheaper and air suspension is standard.

14. NathanielHrnblwr

I'm going to cancel my order and get a used Hummer in protest.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  15. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

There a great graphic showing Model 3 July sales greater than combination of BMW 3, Audi A4, Mercedes C and Lexus IS.

Marketplace is telling them Ok to price a little higher.

Your call on whether to pay for it...:.

• Like x 6
  16. DanH

DanH Member

It’s definitely not fair to those who haven’t got a chance to configure yet. Definitely more black 3s will be spotted.

• Funny x 2
  17. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

My friends: so uhh why did you get a Bolt? Weren’t you talking some big game about the Model 3 being sex on wheels? It’s a big rush, tech lovers dream, go anywhere supercharger network bla bla bla

Me: Tesla raised the price of paint by $500.

• Funny x 17
    • Like x 3
  18. JTesmod3

JTesmod3 Member

Are you buying one? Not sure why your so angry, its a little strange that your on a tesla forum to complain about pricing adjustments if your not planning to buy one

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  19. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Fine. Tesla should just raise th base price from $35,000 to $37,000

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  20. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Op already he owns a Model 3. Crying the whole time about how Elon forced him to wait in line. Forced him to confirm the order and forced him to sign the paperwork.

I bet he’s still resentful the Model 3 is not a literal spaceship and read too much into Elon’s tweeting.

• Love x 6
    • Funny x 1