Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Tesla's pricing on paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Op already he owns a Model 3. Crying the whole time about how Elon forced him to wait in line. Forced him to confirm the order and forced him to sign the paperwork.

I bet he’s still resentful the Model 3 is not a literal spaceship and read too much into Elon’s tweeting.
Along with crying that his phone doesn’t fit in his pockets...

I certainly hope he’s more pleasant in real life.

See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.
If you don’t like the price, get something else. It’s written clear as day how much each item costs, pay or don’t, it'syour choice.

Reactions: Skione65
I already have my white 3. This isn't about Tesla getting more money from me, this is about Tesla taking more money from everyone who has not or can not order yet. Just because of economies of scale, you'd think that since they are building more cars now, they can buy more paint at a cheaper price.

But we are essentially being forced to pay this extra money, due to the fact that there is only one free color. Anyone who doesn't like black is getting hit up for even more money now. And yeah, some of you are saying "it's business". But there comes a time when "it's business" is not enough, and it becomes a case of right and wrong. And holding people hostage with only one ugly color and demanding more to paint it another color is wrong.

It costs "X" to paint a car black. Now if you are going to paint it a different color, you'd naturally remove that black paint cost because no black is going on the car, and add the cost of another color. Did all the other colors suddenly get more expensive to make? And even if they did, is it suddenly $500 to $1000 more expensive for whatever amount of paint goes on each car? Almost certainly not. This is the proof that Tesla is grabbing your money any way they can.

I understand why they want to do it, but that doesn't make it right.

I agree with the OP over the paint pricing. $1500 and $2k for paint options is pretty far outside the norm for the mainstream car manufacturers. C-Class has a White option that's $1515, Red OPtion for $1080 and the remaining preimium colors for $720.
When I hear about poor/ missed paint on the panels, this really has me scratching my head.
SImilarly, the C-Class has a $995 destination fee.

Two things I'm thinking:
- They are about to reduce the EAP cost and need to cover the cost reduction without upsetting the customers who already ordered
- They are about to release SR orders and the margins needed some help

Reactions: RBowen and xav-
Yawn, its all perspective - how about $10,000 for a paint color - like BMW: Bloody Money Wasted

Would You Pay $10K For This Silver Paint Job?

Most of the other paints offered by BMW’s personalization division (aptly named “Individual”) cost between $2,000-$5,000, but none of those have special effects pigments with aluminum flakes.

this is literally untrue. most competitors only charge between 500-1000 for paint. The A4 for example only charges 575$ for most colors. the BMW 3 series only charges 525$ for multi coat paint options.

you and others on this forum dont have to defend tesla for every single thing, fact is that 1500 for paint is roughly triple what competitors are charging. frankly i think this is something temporary because Tesla is desperate to turn a consistent profit and the pricing is ridiculous otherwise.
Yikes! BMW’s Most Expensive Paint, Pure Metal Silver, Costs $10,000

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.

Easy workaround: don't buy a Tesla or buy black.

Trying not to die != being greedy. If this were a profitable company squeezing customers for more profits I could agree. It isn't. This is a loss-making company finding any way it can to improve margins and become profitable.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
And holding people hostage with only one ugly color and demanding more to paint it another color is wrong.
I am shocked, shocked to discover that that hundreds of thousands of people have paid Tesla money for a car they have never even driven and most of them have never even seen in person, have waited many months to be allowed to pay more money to configure their car and decide what paint color they want, and then forcing them to pay $500 more now for other paint colors. It is a crime against humanity that these people have no choice but to buy a car from Tesla.

Oh wait...

But we are essentially being forced to pay this extra money, due to the fact that there is only one free color.
No one is being forced to do anything. Most of the other car companies only have one or two free colors, are people being forced to buy the other colors?

Anyone who doesn't like black is getting hit up for even more money now.
And yeah, some of you are saying "it's business". But there comes a time when "it's business" is not enough, and it becomes a case of right and wrong. And holding people hostage with only one ugly color and demanding more to paint it another color is wrong.
Just like anyone who doesn't like whatever color is standard at any other car company. Or the standard sized value meal at your favorite fast food place, or basic membership package at your gym. So, yes, it is just business, Tesla has determined that they can charge more for certain things and they're pretty sure the market will bear those costs - that's how business works. You may not like it, or even understand it, but that's how it works.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler