Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Tesla's pricing on paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I suppose some never either bought or walked away from a "traditional" car dealer who refused to budge at selling over sticker price for a hot new car. It happens. Either fork over the money (sometimes a LOT of money) for the car that you just can't live without, or walk.

Tesla simply does not purchase in the same volume other manufacturers do, and are probably not enjoying the same level of discounts because of it. Titanium Dioxide price and availability, used in white paint, is becoming more expensive. Not having contract pricing with volume discounts is most likely the reason for the increase.

$2,000 for the best and only true color on a 3? little odd.

Now that only encourages people to get more bland greyscale colored 3's. Hopefully people will wrap their cars unique colors and not just the typical matte black, matte grey. YAWN.

Guy at my work saw a silver 3 with aero rims and said it was ugly.

Showed him a pic of a red 3 with 19's and he asked if it was the same car because it was such a aesthetic difference. He loved it.

Tesla needs more colors.

Black, white, silver, grey and a blue that looks black are not colors.

Reactions: StaceyR
I have no issue with those prices for premium paint. They are cheap compared to competitor's paint options. I DO have a major problem with them offering 1 basic "free" color, that's a total joke and is unheard of across the industry.

Pretty sure that Henry Ford was first: ‘Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black.’ Reportedly because it dried the fastest.

I see these price machinations as nothing so much as fine-tuning based on the order levels. Now that the US line waiting reservation holders are pretty much cleared out (or at least invited to configure), the orders from the general public are coming in pretty strong. Increasing the price points at specific trim levels can tweak the PM and SHOULD be used. It rewards line waiters and messages that further increases can come to those considering ordering now. I have no problem with this (but then again my garage is already occupied).

True, but the hyperbole and histrionics are immature at best.
True. It's not a scam or some great injustice. But pricing of options does impact configuration.

For example, I've been waiting for my quarterly stock vest to order. I was going with AWD with 19" rims, red. Now I'll just get RWD with Aeros.

Tesla in the end isn't going to get $1500 more out of me with this hike. They are going to get $5000 less out of me.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and brianman
True. It's not a scam or some great injustice. But pricing of options does impact configuration.

For example, I've been waiting for my quarterly stock vest to order. I was going with AWD with 19" rims, red. Now I'll just get RWD with Aeros.

Tesla in the end isn't going to get $1500 more out of me with this hike. They are going to get $5000 less out of me.

And I'm sure there are others that will do the same as you. Presumably, their analysis is that another set of buyers will move up to P now that the delta is smaller. Finally, those that haven't test driven or ordered yet will see a new price and it will become part of their decision to purchase or not. With RW option, it's not as if this is a make-or-break decision on whether to buy the car for most people.

Remember all the bumpers that have to be repainted to match the pearl-white body. Just know Tesla doesn't do things for free and somehow get customer back one way or the other. Frankly , $2000 is a bit too much for pearl-white/red.

Base price of AWD has also risen from 53,000 to 54,000.

The base price of gas just went up too, lets hope that global warming doesn't damage the refining facilities in the gulf or we are really screwed.

upload_2018-8-3_18-42-54.jpeg

Pain at the pump: Gas prices hit three-year high and are expected to keep rising

• Funny
Reactions: cizUK
$2,000 for the best and only true color on a 3? little odd.

Now that only encourages people to get more bland greyscale colored 3's. Hopefully people will wrap their cars unique colors and not just the typical matte black, matte grey. YAWN.

Guy at my work saw a silver 3 with aero rims and said it was ugly.

Showed him a pic of a red 3 with 19's and he asked if it was the same car because it was such a aesthetic difference. He loved it.

Tesla needs more colors.

Black, white, silver, grey and a blue that looks black are not colors.

I second that! Sure am glad I picked up my MC red Model 3 "way" back in June. Now mine has gone up in value by $1K and there won't be quite as many red M3's flooding the streets here in So Cal.

DSC00025a.jpg

Reactions: Msjulie