Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Tesla's pricing on paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.

Oh, I get it, you're being sarcastic, I almost fell for it. Good one!

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.

Your title says "Tesla rips us off AGAIN..."

Can you explain the "AGAIN" part please.

Thanks!

Op already he owns a Model 3. Crying the whole time about how Elon forced him to wait in line. Forced him to confirm the order and forced him to sign the paperwork.

I bet he’s still resentful the Model 3 is not a literal spaceship and read too much into Elon’s tweeting.
I’m disappointed mine doesn’t actually fart rainbows...

Reactions: MXWing
I agree with the OP over the paint pricing. $1500 and $2k for paint options is pretty far outside the norm for the mainstream car manufacturers. C-Class has a White option that's $1515, Red OPtion for $1080 and the remaining preimium colors for $720.
When I hear about poor/ missed paint on the panels, this really has me scratching my head.
SImilarly, the C-Class has a $995 destination fee.

Two things I'm thinking:
- They are about to reduce the EAP cost and need to cover the cost reduction without upsetting the customers who already ordered
- They are about to release SR orders and the margins needed some help
It’s supply and demand. Next time you’re in the shaving aisle look at bic razors. Pink ones are more expensive than blue ones. At the end of the day businesses will and do adjust prices based on market conditions and the cost of the product.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Whose idea was that stupid supply and demand theory anyway?

Capitalist pigs!!

The same people who managed to make the planet uninhabitable to humans in less than a few hundred years. But, hey. At least we don't have to stand in line for bread.

Anyways, more seriously. What I don't like is the lack of stability in Tesla's prices. Buying a car isn't an easy decision to make.

I don't mind price increases, and adjusting to demand over the long term. What I don't like is the constant "lever" pulling that Tesla does.

How long did I have to make the decision to get a P3D with free unlimited supercharging? A few hours. No one even noticed it until July 31st, and it expired (at least without a referral) on August 1st.

I've bought a lot of cars in my life, and I've never experienced another manufacture pull as many levers as fast as Tesla does.

The only experience that resembles it is buying plane tickets.

I am really curious about the rationality for the $5K AWD. When AWD was initially available to order the package was $5K (like it is today), but then it went down to $4K.

Why did it go down, and then back up? What's true then that isn't true now?

I highly doubt that demand changed. There was a ton of us like myself waiting for the AWD option.

Instead I think Elon felt pressured to make good on a twitter promise that it would be less than $5K. So they changed it to $4K just appease the people who complained, and then they raised it back up thinking no one would care now.

Last edited:
Tesla paint prices are well beyond and above what others charge for metallic based paints. Quick search shows that BMW 530i charges $550 for metallic paint, Porsche Panamera is $830, Audi A6 $575, Lexus GS is included, Lamborghini was higher at $2500. Glad I got my pearl white and reduced doc fee. I guess that extra $1200 in savings ($1000 paint + $200 doc fee) and the mini diecast Model 3 was Elons "something special." Feel for those who were about to order white/red and AWD and have to pay an extra $6500 for those options which were previously $5000. End of the day I still think people will continue to pay whatever price Tesla sets, they want the car and they will pay premiums to get it. I personally would get black at these prices and get a full 3m satin wrap for $2500. Would look more unique and protect car more.