Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in the media situation so far (No CD player in Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all I'd talk to the library and see if they have digital audio book loans. For example the New York Public Library does this:
The New York Public Library, eNYPL

Another option is to look at Audible:
Audible: Try it free. Audiobooks on your phone, tablet or computer. | Audible.com

Those are probably the most elegant solutions. Otherwise you might have to use something like this (no idea how well this works, just found it searching):
Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-BA01 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter (Not A Bluetooth Receiver) for 3.5mm Audio Devices (iPod, MP3/MP4, TV, Kindle Fire, Media Players...): Electronics

That combined with a portable battery powered CD player would do the trick. However as you pointed out that wouldn't work very well with bluetooth phone calls since it can't pause.

Thanks, Breser.

I'm hoping we'll be able to make things work with e-books and Overdrive or a similar app. Audible may be an option too, though it appears their highest volume option is two books per month for about $23 per month. I'm pretty sure my wife would typically go through more than two books in a month, but perhaps if she winds up exhausting the free options, Audible and the remaining free options may wind up being a solution.

- - - Updated - - -

What about streaming videos...at least in park mode

Just a thought

My need for the CD player was for my wife, who likes to listen to books while driving about two hours a day.

Just thought I would revive this again...because it's getting close to time to finally trade up my Volt for a Model S. I frequently listen to movies on my long drives for business, as I have a large collection of movies on DVD. My 2012 Volt had a DVD player built into the dash. Insert disk, start movie, and off I go (screen turns off but audio plays, which is fine). Hard to replicate this on a Model S. It's very difficult to rip DVDs, and I'm not sure if any of the old school DRM violating DVD ripping programs can convert it to a suitable audio format that can be put on USB. And it takes a long time to rip a DVD, especially since the DRM nazis made it so most newer DVD players cannot rip at over 2x speed. I can get a portable DVD player, but how do I get the audio into the car? Best bet I guess is to use one of those bluetooth transmitters, though I've heard some of those don't work with the Model S. Guess I'll just buy one after another until one of them works. And I assume it means I can't use my phone in the car if I do.

You know what would make the whole problem go away? Aux in port. My Volt has one of those too.