Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in the movement of Supercharging Threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all have different opinions. I personally am on the side of PhilBa on this one. Just not willing to do the extra work necessary to get the information. I used to follow all those threads closely but no more.

Do you click on any other forums like Model S or use the what's new feature? Is the link Doug provided not providing the same list of all Supercharger threads?

As the number of sites grows the charging subform would just be one giant collection of Supercharger threads so anything else would get crowded out.

Do you click on any other forums like Model S or use the what's new feature? Is the link Doug provided not providing the same list of all Supercharger threads?

As the number of sites grows the charging subform would just be one giant collection of Supercharger threads so anything else would get crowded out.

Yes I do use some but not the what's new feature. I have specific things I want to look at and that is it. I believe that is why so many people are wanting them all in one place. And we suggested a subforum so that other things would not get crowded out. I thought that was a nice compromise. The current solution just chooses to leave some of us in the dark.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to read S3X and Super Charger info but now I just read S3X and what is left on SC info.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see why it is so hard to understand why Superchargers threads should go in "Charging Standards and INFRASTRUCTURE" They are infrastructure afterall.

Edit: Correction I do not read S3X I read Future, 3 and X

Last edited:
We all have different opinions. I personally am on the side of PhilBa on this one. Just not willing to do the extra work necessary to get the information. I used to follow all those threads closely but no more.

I agree. There is also a wide chasm between spending less time and "having no value." There is something about convenience that encourages more use. The more you have to search and work, the less you are going to use it unless you are really motivated for a particular reason.

Links are pretty browser-centric.
"What do you mean, Rick? This IS a Web forum..."
60% of the time my interface with the forum is Tapatalk app on smartphone (like, when I'm charging and want to read the forum in my car). The best-crafted search link still throws me onto the app's Browser View where zoom-and-squint is the order of the day. Thanks but no thanks.
I've given the change a fair trial before commenting, I think. But moving the SC update threads out of the one forum where I used to find them, has had the same impact as PhilBa reports.

Last edited:
This recent forum change has cost Tesla two sales. Congrads on making it more difficult to find information about the infrastructure support for Tesla's cars.

The facts are as follows:

A family member in Idaho had a reservation for a car, and a friend in Utah was contemplating putting down a reservation. Both parties are concerned about the infrastructure development for charging the car. I had previously told them that they can follow the Supercharger deployment on this site. They both contacted me to say that that they could not find anything. I told them that unfortunately, the moderators made a decision to remove said information and instead place the information is each respective state forum.

Today I found out the family member had canceled the reservation and bought an Audi A8. When I asked why he canceled the reservation of the Tesla, he said the infrastructure development was important to him, and the way the forum is set up, it is just too difficult and time consuming to obtain the information. I heard similar sentiments from the friend in Utah.

I too am in the dark about new developments pertaining to the Supercharger network since this change was made. I do not use the New Posts link (gives me way too much "garbage", as I am only interested in a few things) and the link provided in the sticky is not good for me either. So now I just rely on supercharge.info, which only provides info once a permit has been issued. I no longer can read about suggested/potential sites for Supercharger locations, etc.

This sub-forum was the first (and many times only) sub-forum I would read on TMC, and would check out numerous (probably 4 plus) times a day. I do read the Model S sub-forum, but only certain parts of it, mainly directed to the front camera mod, rear lighted T and rear lighted applique work I have been involved in with Rick, and no where near as often as this sub-forum. I do not read any of the financial discussions (even though I own stock in Tesla), the vehicle order sub-forum, etc.

I strongly believe that this change has done a dis-service to existing Tesla owners, and prospective Tesla owners. The moderators should reverse course and put all the posts back here. Alternatively, delete the "Infrastructure" in the title of this sub-forum, create a new sub-forum specificlly for Superchargers and put all the past, present and future posts there.

I'm sorry to say this, but the relevancy (value) of TMC is rapidly approaching that of Tesla's own forum (which I have not visited since way before the dual motor cars were announced). Please make TMC valuable again by reversing course.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say this, but the relevancy (value) of TMC is rapidly approaching that of Tesla's own forum (which I have not visited since way before the dual motor cars were announced). Please make TMC valuable again by reversing course.

I did not even know that Tesla ran their own forum. Clearly this is the pre-eminant destination for all things Tesla. Too bad this change has made it so much harder to have a big picture view of the infrastructure buildout

I wish your family member had visited the Tesla Motors website and looked at the Supercharger map there, which shows existing sites and sites coming this year and in 2016.

If the inherent features of the Model S were not compelling enough to convince them to buy one, and the Tesla Motors site map was not enough information to show them the rapid and extensive buildout of the charging network, then maybe their choice of an Audi was the right decision for them.

Blaming a minor organizational change at TMC for the loss of some Model S sales seems unreasonable to me.

^It is (unreasonable)...the unrelenting bitching after the dust has settled is a bit perplexing to me. Just bookmark the search query, and all the latest supercharger site developments will be at your fingertips (just found updates on Perry, Effingham, Weatherford, and a new entry for Price).

Last edited:
Just bookmark the search query, and all the latest supercharger site developments will be at your fingertips (just found updates on Perry, Effingham, Weatherford, and a new entry for Price).

Search query bookmark does not work well for me and is pretty useless on my phone.

As far as looking at Tesla's map (suggested by ecarfan), it has been a joke in the past. I've been a Tesla supporter since they announced the car (I was reservation holder 259). According to Tesla's original maps I40 and I10, for example, were initially stated to be complete for east to west travel in 2014 (it also projected over 200 SC locations in the US by the end of 2014, while the result was about 147). Neither route is complete to date. As much as I like Tesla, one can not rely on the Tesla maps as being accurate. It is more of a wish for what they hope to accomplish. The most accurate information (until now) was from this forum.

Much ado about nothing. If you're interested in a region, you know to look in that region. Or you can search. Or you can scan quickly down the list of new posts. For someone to not buy the car because they couldn't find a post about a particular supercharger site says they weren't going to buy the car and were looking for an excuse.

This recent forum change has cost Tesla two sales. Congrads on making it more difficult to find information about the infrastructure support for Tesla's cars.

The facts are as follows:

A family member in Idaho had a reservation for a car, and a friend in Utah was contemplating putting down a reservation. Both parties are concerned about the infrastructure development for charging the car. I had previously told them that they can follow the Supercharger deployment on this site. They both contacted me to say that that they could not find anything. I told them that unfortunately, the moderators made a decision to remove said information and instead place the information is each respective state forum.

Today I found out the family member had canceled the reservation and bought an Audi A8. When I asked why he canceled the reservation of the Tesla, he said the infrastructure development was important to him, and the way the forum is set up, it is just too difficult and time consuming to obtain the information. I heard similar sentiments from the friend in Utah.

I too am in the dark about new developments pertaining to the Supercharger network since this change was made. I do not use the New Posts link (gives me way too much "garbage", as I am only interested in a few things) and the link provided in the sticky is not good for me either. So now I just rely on supercharge.info, which only provides info once a permit has been issued. I no longer can read about suggested/potential sites for Supercharger locations, etc.

This sub-forum was the first (and many times only) sub-forum I would read on TMC, and would check out numerous (probably 4 plus) times a day. I do read the Model S sub-forum, but only certain parts of it, mainly directed to the front camera mod, rear lighted T and rear lighted applique work I have been involved in with Rick, and no where near as often as this sub-forum. I do not read any of the financial discussions (even though I own stock in Tesla), the vehicle order sub-forum, etc.

I strongly believe that this change has done a dis-service to existing Tesla owners, and prospective Tesla owners. The moderators should reverse course and put all the posts back here. Alternatively, delete the "Infrastructure" in the title of this sub-forum, create a new sub-forum specificlly for Superchargers and put all the past, present and future posts there.

Really? So clicking on two or three 'regional' forums was so difficult they had to cancel? I don't get this. The Supercharger threads give you maybe a few months notice prior to it appearing on Tesla's 'coming soon' map. Are you saying there are Supercharger threads that are predicting locations in 2016 that someone might need to plan for a family trip across the U.S. next year for example? This is being blown way out of proportion.

Of course you can still read about suggested or permitted Supercharger locations. No one is stopping you from clicking your mouse on the regional forums. If you live in California and are dying to know when a permit is issued in Maine then you should have the motivation to click on that regional forum once a month or so and see what's new.

Also, could bookmark 'Supercharger' as a tag in advanced search. As long as people tag their threads and mods will try you won't miss anything.
Advanced search for Supercharger tag

Last edited: