Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Upgraded Audio System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paltry 8" subwoofer and two 3" speakers. That is the only difference. And it's not worth it for $2500, to be sure.

I requested that a 10 band EQ and EQ presets be added in a future media player update though. My 15 year old Empeg has 20 band parametric that can be configured L + R / 10 or FL + FR + RL + RR / 5..... now that thing was advanced even by today's standards and Tesla's with regards to media playing capability.

Yep, imagine how bad the base audio is.
Precisely why I didn't spend the extra $2500. $2500 gets you a fairly decent aftermarket audio system.

I've read a few threads here saying people are disappointed with the sound system. I don't have a Mark Levingston or Harman Kardon vehicle to compare against.

But if compared to a Lexus GS JBL, Toyota Camry JBL, or Honda Accord Alpine system, how would you rate the standard deliver sound system and the upgraded sound system against that?

I have a Lexus GS 350 and a bit disappointed in their sound system. The demo drive I had with Tesla, it was a bit impressive, but then again it was to the music they had chosen so I couldn't really compare.

Come to think of it, Tesla's interiors in general - audio, headliner, seats, leather, dash - are all substandard.
Tesla has tried to cut corners and save $ on everything they could to create a pricepoint that wasn't $200K.
Most of the cost is battery. But ... battery prices have fallen, and Tesla's profit per car has risen.
And they need that profit to pour into gigafactory, as a result the company itself is still mostly in red.
It makes sense for Tesla to run in red though, profit will be taxed, and Tesla needs the investment to get ahead of other car manufacturers who are trying very hard to encroach on Tesla's turf.

So it is not surprising that the audio system is terrible. My guess is, that $2500 audio system, is really a $250 audio system.
Best to spend $2500 aftermarket if you want value for $.

So it is not surprising that the audio system is terrible. My guess is, that $2500 audio system, is really a $250 audio system.
Best to spend $2500 aftermarket if you want value for $.

I wish a company would work with Tesla to create a factory controlled better sounding solution. (no physical bass knob) I reached out to tesla to see if they had any suggestions or a fix to the sound quality. I didnt get much back.

Email Sent to Tesla..
My car has the standard sound system, over the course of the last few months of ownership I have been disappointed in the sound quality especially with the lack of bass. Is there an upgrade that tesla offers to upgrade the standard sound? If not is there a recommendation as to what to look for in the aftermarket?
Tesla Motors - Annual Report
"... Other customers have changed wheels and tires, while others have installed large speaker systems that may impact the electrical systems of the vehicle. We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. In addition, customer use of improper external cabling or unsafe charging outlets can expose our customers to injury from high voltage electricity. Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results"[/SIZE]

Response

Hello Mr. Majerus,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors technical support. We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your factory stereo system. Unfortunately at this time Tesla does not offer an upgradeable stereo after you have taken delivery of the vehicle.

I wish a company would work with Tesla to create a factory controlled better sounding solution. (no physical bass knob) I reached out to tesla to see if they had any suggestions or a fix to the sound quality. I didnt get much back.

[snip]

Response

Hello Mr. Majerus,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors technical support. We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your factory stereo system. Unfortunately at this time Tesla does not offer an upgradeable stereo after you have taken delivery of the vehicle.

The quality of that response is certainly less than impressive.

I am not sure If I ever listened to an S with the standard audio. The Upgrade does at least change the door speaker sizes + adds the 8" (which should be a 10" !!! especially since the fronts are 8"s already)
I also don't think Tesla used terrible quality speakers and paper cones actually have pretty decent sound characteristics compared to cheap poly cones.
The audio codec(s) have been changed quite a bit over the years and my 'sound studio' sounds much better now than when it was new.
When I first had the car I did the 'fade to rear' think but now I have the balance and fader at '0'

So, I recently put in the NVX 10" kit and WOW. Much, much, better.

I am writing a review of it on Teslarati
it should be up next week....check it out!

also to compare just the NVX speaker&box I had it side by side with a JL 10" TW3 powerwedge JL - the NVX has a better overall range while JL is punchier and seems to have more resonance to it
also the JL speaker is around 25% more $ (without boxes)

oh, and if you tap a front and a rear for sub source then your Dolby D bass level will be much better - I listen to almost everything with DD on now and it sounds way better than off

Negative, door speakers are unchanged. 8" sub and rear hatch speakers are only hardware differences.

I am not sure If I ever listened to an S with the standard audio. The Upgrade does at least change the door speaker sizes + adds the 8" (which should be a 10" !!! especially since the fronts are 8"s already)
I also don't think Tesla used terrible quality speakers and paper cones actually have pretty decent sound characteristics compared to cheap poly cones.
The audio codec(s) have been changed quite a bit over the years and my 'sound studio' sounds much better now than when it was new.
When I first had the car I did the 'fade to rear' think but now I have the balance and fader at '0'

So, I recently put in the NVX 10" kit and WOW. Much, much, better.

I am writing a review of it on Teslarati
it should be up next week....check it out!

also to compare just the NVX speaker&box I had it side by side with a JL 10" TW3 powerwedge JL - the NVX has a better overall range while JL is punchier and seems to have more resonance to it
also the JL speaker is around 25% more $ (without boxes)

oh, and if you tap a front and a rear for sub source then your Dolby D bass level will be much better - I listen to almost everything with DD on now and it sounds way better than off

Negative, door speakers are unchanged. 8" sub and rear hatch speakers are only hardware differences.
negatory on the negative
This is /was wrong. When I walked through the assembly area in 2013, when the tours let you to pretty much get in the way of final assembly workers, I took time to look at how all of the trim pieces were fitting together and the differences between the cars etc. There was clearly different sized speaker mounting shrouds in some cars.

*the standard has 6" front door speakers vs 8" and the upgrade also adds a pair of 3" A pillar speakers

$5,000 for a Reus upgrade? I bet they're laughing all the way to the bank!

Upgraded factory audio is fantastic, you just need quality source material.

If you believe the upgraded audio is fantastic, then you are in the listening demographic that doesn't recognize the gigantic improvement of the Reus upgrade ($4K when I installed it about 4 months ago) over the upgraded sound.

That's fine, but to say that the quality of the source material is what is degrading the upgraded sound is absolutely incorrect.

I lived with the upgraded sound for 1.5 years (35,000 miles), the base sound package for about 4 months (about 6,000 miles), and the Reus upgrade for 4 months (8,000 miles).

I paid $4k for my Reus upgrade, and I don't regret a single penny. I listened to 96 kHz lossless FLACs on all three systems. In fact, I listened to that high quality source material on at least 4 different cars with premium audio, and they all had the same defects in sound quality--buzzing in the speakers at certain lower frequencies, among others. These defects are absolutely gone with the Reus system. In fact, 128 kbps MP3s on the Reus system sound far better than 96 kHz FLACs did on the upgraded sound.

It's not the quality of the source material (although that contributes some to the degredation). By far the major driver is limitation in the speaker system itself, and the filters used to limit frequencies going to each speaker. It's a good audio system, but not a great one--and hopefully someday Tesla acknowledges that and makes improvements. (No driver for them to do this right now, given supply constraints).

And this from a gigantic Tesla cheerleader and large shareholder.

The Bose system in my Volt is way better than premium Tesla system - more centered sound, more bass, cleaner overall. having said this my wife spoiled me and got me the upgraded audio in the Tesla.

I completely disagree with this, my upgraded Bose volt system was awful. Completely dropped off and the speakers distorted even close to full bass.

I think the tesla premium system is ok, I can still rock out. Upgrading a few speakers and adding the additional NVX sub would probably make it killer.

What equipment does Reuss use?

I completely disagree with this, my upgraded Bose volt system was awful. Completely dropped off and the speakers distorted even close to full bass.

I think the tesla premium system is ok, I can still rock out. Upgrading a few speakers and adding the additional NVX sub would probably make it killer.

What equipment does Reuss use?

+1 'Premium' Volt sound system is the first I've owned where I can turn it all the way up, and look for more. The door speakers are very poorly baffled, which muddies the bass. But the frequency response is, at least, evenly inaccurate :tongue:. For a short time, I have an MS w/Sound and one w/o. The sub is definitely worth something, but I would lump both Tesla and Volt in the same "OE grade" category. I don't know how many people, having gone through aftermarket systems, would point to a stock automobile and go "Now, that sounds better".