Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Upgraded Audio System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different people are talking about different kinds of sound quality here. A traditional audiophile looks for clear, nuanced reproduction and flat frequency response. Lossless or very high bit rate source material is required for this "audiophile" listener. A more casual audio enthusiast may look for bright treble and tight, powerful bass without rattles. The Burmester system in the S600 Maybach is the best example of a thumpin' system I've heard to appease this enthusiast listener. Tesla seems to have aimed at the audiophile. It seems to me that the biggest issue with the Tesla stereo is equalization, not component quality. At higher volumes, the clarity and flat frequency response (if not the amplitude of bass thump) of the so-called ultra high fidelity system are impressive. But at low-volume—like you use for casual listening around town—high frequencies are over-reproduced and low frequencies are attenuated. With a program to the stereo that ensures balanced frequency response at all amplitudes, everyone would like the UHF system better.

Had the NVX sub woofer install today by the guys at NVX (Sonic Electronix) could not be happier. Perfect install by Brendan and great clean sound. Really made my standard sound system sound great. Highly recommended.
efe03e87f398ab870f7a6b952dc994f9.jpg
022a5367ef1fc4cfa7bb974d678ee25a.jpg
606ad84afc059801ad922cad570ea38b.jpg

The Bose system in my Volt is way better than premium Tesla system - more centered sound, more bass, cleaner overall. having said this my wife spoiled me and got me the upgraded audio in the Tesla.

Really ?!? I have the Bose in the Volt and the upgraded Tesla system, and I think the Tesla is much better. I will need to park the cars next to each other with the same source material and hop from one to the other to test your theory.

So the sub is in the rear cargo space. What happens when you have cargo?
Does the sound go to shate?

huh?
even if you have cargo up against the screen you will hear the bass almost the same. low frequencies travel well
The NVX is in a better place than the Tesla sub except for not being able to see the Tesla sub.

The Tesla sub sounded about the same to me with a full cargo space, I imagine thet NVX is even better with a full trunk. Less air space

Turn off Dolby, fade the sound to the back to about 6 seems to sound the best.

YES. Do this and bump some Kygo on Soundcloud at full quality and then you'll see what's up. :) The Premium Audio is great in this car, but definitely not as good as an aftermarket system. The front/back volume differential bothered me a lot at first too. But this audio setup is designed more as a stage-front experience than a 360 one.

Make sure your input is high quality tracks at max kbps. Turn up a bass-thumpin song. Roll windows down. I can hear you from here. :) I actually don't fade to the back as much as Majerus, but play with it and see what you like.

- K

Vey pleased with the premium auto. Messed with the equalizer and fader. I found best results by keeping the sound in the middle of the passenger compartment and mid-range bass emphasis. It really has depth to the sound. The subwoofer can be heard well even with cargo. I have had several passengers comment on the sound quality. So it is not just me. :smile:

Vey pleased with the premium auto. Messed with the equalizer and fader. I found best results by keeping the sound in the middle of the passenger compartment and mid-range bass emphasis. It really has depth to the sound. The subwoofer can be heard well even with cargo. I have had several passengers comment on the sound quality. So it is not just me. :smile:

I agree with you on premium audio, given a do over I would order it. I just did not spend enough time with it in the show room to get it to sound good. Also did not know the trick of turning Dolby off.

At $900 for the sound upgrade, I think it was worth it. Not sure how they justified increasing the price by over 150%? I asked Tesla and they said there was no difference from the 2013/2014 $900 Sound Studio package and the current 2014/2015 Ultra High Fidelity Sound System for $2,500.

I guess if you're one that's really into music and play it at a high level most of the time, maybe, just maybe the upgraded sound system is worth it to some, but if you're like most (including myself) and music is just there for background noise, based on my Dad's car without it and mine with it, I really don't notice a difference. The primary difference being that you don't get XM satellite radio with the base sound package. I purchased XM radio when it first came out and never used it. Haven't purchased it in another vehicle since. I like having the internet radio in the Tesla, which is available in both sound systems. I have XM capability in my car, but didn't sign up for it. When I upgrade, I'll more than likely pass on the $2,500 upgraded sound system. Would much rather have leather next Gen seats for the same price.

with Dolby off the rear door speakers are used more, with Dolby on the rear sound is mostly from the small rear deck speakers.

Here is an NVX review - http://www.teslarati.com/review-nvx-custom-tesla-model-s-subwoofer/

Great review. Thanks. I just ordered mine with the base audio as I don't frequently listen to loud music (though when I do, I like it to sound good). Wasn't worth $2500 to me. You mentioned in the review that the NVX sub could be installed with the base system. Do you think the system would sound adequate then? If I find the base lacking, this sounds like a good option.

Great review- just had mine installed Monday and really like it. Would you mind sharing the settings on the amp that you used. I am still trying to dial mine in.

I have the low pass set probably a touch too low still, I was trying to get it close to 25Hz (with the amp in the frunk and trying to play a sine tone and dial the amp in while crawling in the frunk is tricky)
high pass I think is a little over 100 Hz. but close to 80Hz Is usually my preference for subs.
I did put some bass boost at the lowest frequency but am thinking I might just turn the amp all the way up and drop the boost (thinking the boost might add some peak near 40Hz and pretty sure the amp has enough power without the boost)
how I have it set currently some music only needs the remote dial set at ~1/2 way. I have also been trying to listen to music without the amp on, dial in the factory bass, then turn the amp up - this usually leads to the factory bass level at +2.5 - 4.5 (or more on some older music w/ weaker bass)

Different people are talking about different kinds of sound quality here. A traditional audiophile looks for clear, nuanced reproduction and flat frequency response. Lossless or very high bit rate source material is required for this "audiophile" listener. A more casual audio enthusiast may look for bright treble and tight, powerful bass without rattles. The Burmester system in the S600 Maybach is the best example of a thumpin' system I've heard to appease this enthusiast listener. Tesla seems to have aimed at the audiophile. It seems to me that the biggest issue with the Tesla stereo is equalization, not component quality. At higher volumes, the clarity and flat frequency response (if not the amplitude of bass thump) of the so-called ultra high fidelity system are impressive. But at low-volume—like you use for casual listening around town—high frequencies are over-reproduced and low frequencies are attenuated. With a program to the stereo that ensures balanced frequency response at all amplitudes, everyone would like the UHF system better.

I agree with Mike. I have UHF sound, and I'm satisfied with it. Somehow it has two strange characteristics.

1. Dolby on sounds like over equalized and loses natural sound. Too much artificial effects and lacks frequency balance.
2. MP3 codec, including TuneIn, sounds terrible. Lossless FLAC good. Through MP3 codec, the audio sounds more compressed (i.e. less dynamic range), and sound separation worse.

So with UHF, dial the volume up and we'll be fine. I wish the bass could be tighter and clearer, but that may be a preference. Some non-audiophiles prefer bigger amount of bass, and tighter bass sometimes feels "less bass".