Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tuesday I found a 2014 P85D inventory car on the Ev-CPO site with 25K miles. It had a lease payment assigned by Tesla. I hit the buy button and filled out all of the lease info and got a confirmation email from Tesla that the car was reserved for me. I was so excited that I couldn't go to sleep until 3 am!! The next morning my sales guys calls and tells me that Tesla won't lease a 2014 car. I have a confirmation of my order in my hand and copy of the lease payment advertised. I called auto finance yesterday to see if they would honor their advertised price and was told they would be back to me by the end of the day No call came. My sales guy is trying to get me to get a 70D for the same lease payment. Does anyone know of anyone who can help me? Disappointed to say the least since I have been struggling for at least 10 days, scouring the ads trying to find the car I want within my budget. This one fit. Something seems fishy here. Oh and by the way, the store manager called and said he would do whatever he had to do to make it right and proceeded to send me all of the same 70Ds that anyone could configure from the site. Duh! I had already done a lot of research and informed him that I was looking for a deal to fit my budget. Any help would be appreciated. I am so disappointed.

No major car company leases used cars, so that's not a surprise. There's no need or reason to be disappointed. Dealerships frequently make errors in car listings... I have seen used Porsches for 10-15k less than what they are worth on the market. I got excited and call sales people and are told they made a mistake on their site and will change it to the correct value. Sure it kind of suck, but if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is not true... Why not buy the car? Tesla leases are pretty shitty; payment to buy shouldn't be that different from a lease.

Last edited:
I assume it was this one? I did think it was odd that they were advertising a lease option on that car being almost 2 years old. Sucks regardless, but I believe it was a mistake on their part. This is oldest inventory car I recall seeing, so probably wasn't flagged appropriately to prevent a lease option to be shown.

Silver Metallic/Black Leather/Carbon Fiber: 85 kWh Performance Model S P55129 | Tesla Motors

I can understand that car dealerships advertise incorrectly. What really bums me out is the fact that I got a confirmation of my order and a welcome to Tesla message. They should not have posted and let me order with confirmation of the sale.

I expect it's simply a listing error. Automated systems still depend on the initial data input being correct. GIGO.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
No major car company leases used cars, so that's not a surprise. There's no need or reason to be disappointed. Dealerships frequently make errors in car listings... I have seen used Porsches for 10-15k less than what they are worth on the market. I got excited and call sales people and are told they made a mistake on their site and will change it to the correct value. Sure it kind of suck, but if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is not true... Why not buy the car? Tesla leases are pretty shitty; payment to buy shouldn't be that different from a lease.
If it's the one I posted, technically it was not considered a used car, it was a showroom/demo "inventory" car, so it was still offered as "new". But I believe this was a unique situation in that is was much older than typical demo unit considered new.

I couldn't access the link to the car a couple hours ago when I tried and it doesn't exist now either. I assume it probably never really existed... It would be extremely rare to have a 2 year old new car. I haven't seen that at any dealership.
It was a showroom/demo model. The link doesn't work because the OP had tried to buy it (well, technically lease it). That was the original link from the preowned site that was posted in another thread. I'm sure the car existed, but because of the unique situation of being such an old demo model, it still was listed with the lease option. I'm sure the automated way the listing get added doesn't know. I wonder if it will be relisted at some point.

OP, not sure what your budget and options are, but there seem to be some other similar cars (with far fewer miles) for not much more money, even 90D or P85Ds.

They won't lease a 2014 car? I thought model years were not a consideration for Tesla? It probably comes down to the banks involved, but Tesla Finance can lease a car without using banks. They should honor the original OP situation rather than try to get him into a 70D. Buying the P85D includes applying the Federal ITC to yourself and maybe a state rebate, if available.

If the OP really needs the range *and* performance, then P85D is the choice. However, most people really "need" neither of those options.

Great News!! I am no longer disappointed in Tesla. My manager at the Raleigh store, Joe, was awesome and got me the lease on this car because they had already confirmed with me. Silver decked out P85D here I come!!!!

Gotta love accountability. Glad the tale had a happy ending.

What I'm disappointed in are the posts excusing the episode essentially because "these things happen". Irrevelant. Accountability still matters, and it's good that the Powers That Be recognized that the problem is with an internal process and, as such, should not in any way become *your* problem.

Reactions: newtman and BEEZR
It was a showroom/demo model. The link doesn't work because the OP had tried to buy it (well, technically lease it). That was the original link from the preowned site that was posted in another thread. I'm sure the car existed, but because of the unique situation of being such an old demo model, it still was listed with the lease option. I'm sure the automated way the listing get added doesn't know. I wonder if it will be relisted at some point.

OP, not sure what your budget and options are, but there seem to be some other similar cars (with far fewer miles) for not much more money, even 90D or P85Ds.

Can you share with me where you see the similar P85Ds and 90Ds for less miles? I am trying to keep my payment at 1,000 per month.