Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed [sold my model 3p after 16 months as it wasnt for me]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I purchased my 2020 3P, I spent a lot of time on various websites, to see if this car would be a good fit for me. I wanted to track it, but mainly I liked the 0-60 times. I could not find any negatives on any of the Tesla forums/various websites, so I bought one. 2 months later I had 2 tires blow out on right side from road debris, and then I discovered 235/35/20 tires have a load rating of 1350, so the car is 4100 Lbs, which means without anyone in the car there is 250 Lbs per wheel to absorb potholes/road debris, etc. I quickly bought a set of 19 wheels and put on 245/40/19's and had no further issues. Then the bombs dropped: if you track your Tesla, then your warranty is null and void. AND Elon Musk PUBLICLY came out in Dec 2020 and said if you want a great paint job, do not purchase a Tesla 3 now, as they must meet production goals so they would shortchange the paint line. My 2020 3P black exterior, looked worse in 1 year than my 2 other 10 year old black cars! AND if you enjoy high speed driving, the range penalty is severe compared to an ice car with a 7 speed or 10 speed tranny. I sold my 3P just 16 months after I bought it, and purchased a 2018 C7 Z06, and I am happy again. It was nice I received $6000 more than my purchase price of my 3P, so that made up for the sales taxes, etc. So to be clear, The Tesla 3P has many nice things about it, BUT it seems no one wants to discuss any negatives with it.

I spent a lot of time on various websites, to see if this car would be a good fit for me..
dr-evil-right.gif

I feel that plenty of negatives are discussed here. The performance model has the same inherent issues of broken auto wipers and high beams. It's pretty common knowledge the paint is ultra-soft and thin. Also 20" wheels with rubber band tires tend to not be as durable on less than perfect roads, just as Civic Type R owners.

Reactions: Mash
Before I purchased my 2020 3P, I spent a lot of time on various websites, to see if this car would be a good fit for me. I wanted to track it, but mainly I liked the 0-60 times. I could not find any negatives on any of the Tesla forums/various websites, so I bought one. 2 months later I had 2 tires blow out on right side from road debris, and then I discovered 235/35/20 tires have a load rating of 1350, so the car is 4100 Lbs, which means without anyone in the car there is 250 Lbs per wheel to absorb potholes/road debris, etc. I quickly bought a set of 19 wheels and put on 245/40/19's and had no further issues. Then the bombs dropped: if you track your Tesla, then your warranty is null and void. AND Elon Musk PUBLICLY came out in Dec 2020 and said if you want a great paint job, do not purchase a Tesla 3 now, as they must meet production goals so they would shortchange the paint line. My 2020 3P black exterior, looked worse in 1 year than my 2 other 10 year old black cars! AND if you enjoy high speed driving, the range penalty is severe compared to an ice car with a 7 speed or 10 speed tranny. I sold my 3P just 16 months after I bought it, and purchased a 2018 C7 Z06, and I am happy again. It was nice I received $6000 more than my purchase price of my 3P, so that made up for the sales taxes, etc. So to be clear, The Tesla 3P has many nice things about it, BUT it seems no one wants to discuss any negatives with it.
1. I can think of many other cars that are vastly better for track use than the M3P. And that isn't a secret either.
2. Hitting road debris is your problem, not the load rating of the tire. Rubber-band sidewalls contribute but are not unique to Tesla.
3. Elon probably said that thinking he could cause a reduction in orders so they could catch up (cause he's a tool). Poor paint quality on a Tesla is not bombshell news.
4. And lol about range vs an ICE car. duh - there are numerous tests of real-world range of Teslas out there.

A Z06 Vette is light years different than an M3P - can't see how someone would cross-shop those, but OK.

It is also fun to change ~24 months of ownership into 16 months for the post title....or if it was 16 months, to wait ~8 months after selling the car to make this post.

Im the one that edited the thread title, as it was originally just "disappointed", and I really (really really really really really REALLLLY) haaaaaaattttteeee thread titles that do not talk about what the thread is about. They feel like clickbait to me which I can not stand with the passion of a 1000 white hot suns.

It was a bit difficult to read the OPs post but I saw this line in the middle:

I sold my 3P just 16 months after I bought it

So added that to the thread title.

On a side note, I do see this thread for what it probably is, but it isnt breaking any rules.

Reactions: tm1v2 and XPsionic
I have but one thing to say to someone who has literally no posts, but makes a thread complaining about a car and wanting to sell or has sold it... BUH BYE
Don't be mean. He clearly had alot of problems with it and it seems as though some posterx here agree it's not a great car. Perhaps his experience will help others who read this.

Reactions: italian bread
Don't be mean. He clearly had alot of problems with it and it seems as though some posterx here agree it's not a great car. Perhaps his experience will help others who read this.

Reading through the first post, a summary of the problems this OP had:

1. (2) Flat tires from hitting potholes on the factory 20 inch tires
2. Finding out that if they track the car, parts of the warranty could be impacted
3. Unhappy with Paint job
4. "I dont get rated range when I drive fast"

I mean, some may consider this "a lot" of problems, but it doesnt look like that to me. It looks like being unlucky with flat tires (and maybe not even that since the OP admits to driving fast). There isnt anything here that is in the least bit new for anyone who had " spent a lot of time on websites to see if this car is for me".

They also admit to selling the car in the height of the used car market spike, making $6,000 on the sale of their car more than they paid for it, so they cant even talk about losing money on the transaction like in most "I had a car for a couple years" purchases.

They state "no one wants to talk about the negatives" but as someone who is around TMC all the time, I find that comment about TMC ... "inaccurate" as there is plenty of feedback here that is not all "glowing" lets say.

I have said before that I think that no car is right for everyone, and I also am not a tree hugger, nor am I an environmentalist or someone who thinks all ICE vehicles need to go, so I I think its great when people get what they want, and if this car or any other isnt it, then the best thing to do is move on and get something you do want.

Someone whose last post before this one was almost 2 years ago, came back here to post about a couple of blown tires, and that range is impacted when you drive fast, is not telling us something new.

He didn't like his car, that's fine. I get it, I've had cars I didn't end up liking. I sold them, moved on found something I preferred better. But going on posting all your gripes after the fact that's ridiculous.

I can appreciate an owner that didn't end up enjoying their car yet didn't litter the forums constantly complaining during his ownership. This poster clearly had his issues with the vehicle and rather than complaining in the forums over 16 months he kept quiet and did what was best for him. I don't see any problem with coming back to explain why it wasn't for him. If anything some of the responses have been kind of petty IMO.

Reactions: 4est
OP hasn't posted in 2 years, and hasn't returned to TMC since dropping this post, so yeah, this kinda reads like an "I'm taking my ball and going home" sort of post.

Also, OP has at least 2 other Z06's in addition to the Z06 he bought to replace this. He seems to know exactly what he likes, sometimes.

Lastly, pinch flats and other pothole damage have nothing to do with tire load ratings. They have to do with the design and dimensions of the sidewall relative to the weight of the car. There's lots of cross-correlation of course, but it's absurd to simplify it all down to load rating - car weight and then claim that "they designed it wrong".