Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with factory colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about a vinyl wrap as other threads talk about? then you can always change the color if you want

I'm looking into that, but from what I've seen, the life expectancy of any kind of wrap is about 4 years at most.

The crazy thing is that from what I hear, the aftermarket shop will basically have to break the windshield, pano glass, and much of the trim and then buy replacements. I get that Tesla can't do everything custom, but this does seem mighty wasteful, especially for such a green-friendly company.

Mercedes dealers around here sell 80% of their cars in black or white. Color is very personal but people often go safe even when they want a color. I will say that colors are a lot of work to keep clean. VW used to do the Passat in three versions of grey, (green, blue, and brown). I just finished my third 0* C hand car wash. This leads to cold hands. My cheaper old cars were well served by automatic washes. I suggest the grey color palate if you don't have a favorite in the colors offered.

It is interesting to me that the best colors for a given car can be influenced by the car's shape and volume. Even within a single product line, such as Ferrari, it is clear that certain colors do or don't belong on certain models. For example, the 1995 F355 looks great in Ferrari racing red, but the 456GT of the same year looks ridiculous in that color. Most 456GT's were delivered in blue or black. The 456GT has more volume than the F355, and it somehow looks right in a more conservative guise. I think the same could be said for the Model S vs. the Roadster. The Roadster looks appropriate in bright primary colors, but the Model S seems to want a more sober approach -- sunset red notwithstanding!

Last edited:
I think it's funny that no matter what color I mention[*], I hear that it's hard to keep clean from someone. the reasons vary--sometimes it is because swirls show up, sometimes because of dirt--but the conclusion is the same.

[*] one possible exception is red, because instead I hear that's a cop magnet.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the same could be said for the Model S vs. the Roadster. The Roadster looks appropriate in bright primary colors, but the Model S seems to want a more sober approach -- sunset red notwithstanding!

I am with you on this one. Obviously, I'm going with the sober executive car approach, but I'd do either a ridiculous red or canary yellow with a roadster. I would even consider the very orange.

I think it's funny that no matter what color I mention, I hear that it's hard to keep clean from someone
My interpretation: "cars are hard to keep clean".

- - - Updated - - -

one possible exception is red, because instead I hear that's a cop magnet.
There's a lot of web search hits on this one. Correct or incorrect, I found the Edmunds hit interesting:
7 .The "Red Car Bias" Myth #1: A commonly held misperception is that red cars tend to receive more speeding tickets than do cars of other colors because of their flashiness. There's also the supposed optical illusion created by their color that makes the cars appear to be going faster than they really are. These are both fascinating theories, but the fact is, according to Carolyn Gorman, vice president of the Insurance Information Institute and Insurance Trade Association, "there is no data to support the assertion that red cars receive more traffic tickets than cars of any other color." Still, the urban legend has been so widely accepted in American society that it has spawned the driving myth discussed below.

8. The "Red Car Bias" Myth #2: One can't help wonder how many car buyers have shied away from red cars because they believed owning one would cause higher insurance rates than those commanded by cars of other colors. However, even though some studies have suggested red cars are involved in a disproportionate number of accidents, according to Gorman, "there are no major insurance companies that consider car color when determining your rates." Basically, says Gorman, what it comes down to is "people with good driving records and who also drive safe vehicles typically have the lowest car insurance premiums."
http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/traffic-ticket-urban-legends.html

My interpretation: "cars are hard to keep clean".

There's a lot of web search hits on this one. Correct or incorrect, I found the Edmunds hit interesting:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/traffic-ticket-urban-legends.html

I have the same interpretation and having had black, light blue, dark grey, and magenta cars, I tend to subscribe to it. Cars are hard to keep clean. When I lived in NJ, every Monday after "pollen fall" there would be a line of cars wrapped around the block to get cleaned and they were all colors of the rainbow. I suspect the same would be true in Boston except no one could ever find a car wash because of the one way streets.

The discussion on red is kind of neat.

In the end, I went with black. I might have been persuaded by blue if I could have seen one in person. My favorite color ever is BMW's carbon black: it's a very rich dark blue that manages to look black with blue highlights in all but the lowest lighting. The highlights move with one's eyes. Gorgeous.

Perhaps the main thing about red is that there are quite a few red-colour-blind people out there. It doesn't mean that the red car is invisible to those folks, but it just doesn't look red. The other thing is that people drive towards where they are looking, which is why there are quite a few cases of people running into police and emergency vehicles that have their lights flashing. So having a bright coloured car that people look at increases your chances of being involved in an accident.

Perhaps the main thing about red is that there are quite a few red-colour-blind people out there. It doesn't mean that the red car is invisible to those folks, but it just doesn't look red. The other thing is that people drive towards where they are looking, which is why there are quite a few cases of people running into police and emergency vehicles that have their lights flashing. So having a bright coloured car that people look at increases your chances of being involved in an accident.

But by that logic having any sort of Model S increases your chance of accidents regardless of color. :wink: On topic, I liked the blue in the sample in the store, but when I saw the car I thought it was too dark. I'm getting the grey.