Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with Intentional Performance Reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because a cheaper motor doesn't spin as fast, draw as much current, and require as much expensive wiring, and this brings down the cost of the entire car.

Nah. They don't have capacity for current model 3 orders. Why make it any faster?

Canablize S sales, multiply manf problems, or tank TSLA stock.

Intentionally slower is one of the only things that makes sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lunarx
There are real costs to the motor, it's not a $100 piece of kit. The more current you want it to be able to handle, the more torque you want it to have to produce, the more copper you're going to be including it. Same with the inverter - power electronics are expensive. All of the cabling, same issue.

If you don't want to shell out the big bucks for a premium car, don't complain that your performance matches your budget. Actually, exceeds your budget, these are excellent performance figures for the price range. You might get a better performance buy on a Type R, but that won't come with nearly as many nifty features (and of course is not electric)...

5.6s is plenty plenty. What are people planning to do? Go to the race track with a mass-market sedan every weekend?

Based on all the videos online of people taking a $175,000 Premium Tesla to the race track all the time, I'd say there are a million more that would gladly take a car half that price to the race track!!! But at 5.1 0-60, it won't have that appeal to the younger crowd. At least until the performance version comes out, whenever that is.

Based on all the videos online of people taking a $175,000 Premium Tesla to the race track all the time, I'd say there are a million more that would gladly take a car half that price to the race track!!! But at 5.1 0-60, it won't have that appeal to the younger crowd. At least until the performance version comes out, whenever that is.

As if the younger crowd could afford the performance version. The non AWD bigger battery comes close to 60k, when fully equipped, I doubt the performance version will start way lower.

There are real costs to the motor, it's not a $100 piece of kit. The more current you want it to be able to handle, the more torque you want it to have to produce, the more copper you're going to be including it. Same with the inverter - power electronics are expensive. All of the cabling, same issue.

If you don't want to shell out the big bucks for a premium car, don't complain that your performance matches your budget. Actually, exceeds your budget, these are excellent performance figures for the price range. You might get a better performance buy on a Type R, but that won't come with nearly as many nifty features (and of course is not electric)...
This is correct. The 3 likely has a different motor as the S/X. S/X motors are made in Fremont. 3 motors are made in Sparks. Makes sense fiscally to manufacture a cheaper, smaller motor.

On a related note, I'm continually amazed with the pipe dreams of many 3 reservation holders. $35k car won't be the $100k MS/MX... not in performance, luxury, status, etc. Sorry. I'm waiting for the shock of the delusional when they realize the "wood" panel on the 3's dash isn't real wood! The horror!

Sorry. I'm waiting for the shock of the delusional when they realize the "wood" panel on the 3's dash isn't real wood! The horror!

WHAT?!?!?!? What do you mean it's not real wood? They call it "wood"!!!

And as I have told you all several times (and it seems to be ignored), the 3 and the S are using THE EXACT SAME MOTOR. It is in the controller where the performance differences lie. It is programmed to flow less amps to slow the car down.

• Helpful
I'm totally happy with the performance numbers. My current car is a Chevy Cruze with a 1.4L engine and a 6 speed manual. I can get to 60 in about 7 seconds, but it's a miserable experience of 5-6000 RPM shifts and useless noise. I'd love to just mash the accelerator and silently be to 60 in 5.1 seconds.

Also, knowing Tesla, 5.1 seconds is quite possibly closer to 4.5.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx and Alketi
Nothing is free.

There are two key cost elements:
- Battery power: it's easier to make cells cheaper if you can lower power density. It's a chemistry trade-off.
- Motor power: it's not just the motor, it's the power electronics. Higher power also needs additional cooling.

Dual motor is expected beginning of 2018. Performance to follow middle of 2018. If you want extra performance, you'll need to wait for the Performance model.

• Helpful
Dual motor is expected beginning of 2018. Performance to follow middle of 2018. If you want extra performance, you'll need to wait for the Performance model.

I'd love to agree with that, but the current numbers on their delivery estimator page are pretty brutal if you're an East Coast/non-owner/who wants AWD or P........

But if everyone going all "woe is me" in these disappointment threads follows through, I should move up the line pretty quickly..... :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSqB
I'd love to agree with that, but the current numbers on their delivery estimator page are pretty brutal if you're an East Coast/non-owner/who wants AWD or P........

But if everyone going all "woe is me" in these disappointment threads follows through, I should move up the line pretty quickly..... :cool:

Exactly, I love the "woe is me" people. Keep encouraging them to buy a Bolt instead, for both our sakes! ;)

Reactions: AlanSqB
There may be some hidden performance in there that we may get "unlocked" for free for for some $$ after the cars have been out and about for a bit. Fun future Elon tweet "You wanted a P? You had a P all along! Just put your CC number in the screen." :p

However, I think 5.1 is still plenty. It's about 8 seconds faster than my LEAF.

• Funny
Reactions: CTreast

I think they ought to just combine all the "Disappointed" threads into one big bag of sad. We could post the reservation cancellation link right at the top.