Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with "safety score"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I side loaded the Tesla app to get the safety score and am very disappointed with my score.
I currently have a score of 82 and i dont feel it is correct.
I've had a single "forward collision" warning, but it was unwarranted. I was changing lanes in heavy traffic, and I was driving in a manner entirely consistent with that.
Other than that, "heavy braking" and "cornering" was cited.
I was not driving aggressively in any way.
This concerns me because I have Tesla insurance more so than because I hope to get the FSD beta.
Makes me wonder if it is even possible in CA to get a better score.
And yeah, I know, everyone in prison says they're innocent...the analogy for a low safety score.
Anyone else have this issue?

Perhaps ask in this 217 page (not post, page) thread in the autopilot / FSD subforum that is specifically on Safety Scores?

Reactions: MikeR99
Well, I side loaded the Tesla app to get the safety score and am very disappointed with my score.
I've had a single "forward collision" warning, but it was unwarranted. I was changing lanes in heavy traffic, and I was driving in a manner entirely consistent with that.
This concerns me because I have Tesla insurance more so than because I hope to get the FSD beta.
And yeah, I know, everyone in prison says they're innocent...the analogy for a low safety score.
Same problem I got a forward collision warning. There was a car in front of me and the car in front of him turned red and gave the warning and there was no danger. I also got the aggressive braking hit I have got it down some by slowing down way early. The best score I have been able to get is 92.

I really feel like the system was originally designed to ask a single question: Are you above 60 or below 60? (Or some number significantly below 100) To use this system as a criteria for who gets a feature and who doesn't and the differentiation is a single digit in the high 90s is absurd.

I consider myself a responsible driver, as a retirement gig I’m substitute school bus driver. With all the rules of driving a school bus, this carries over to my personal driving habits. But I struggle with getting better then the mid 90’s. Don’t ask people to do something that you wouldn’t do. Hay Elon, what’s your score? If you can’t get 99 or 100, no code for you!
Stepping off my podium!

Reactions: DDSTEVE and MikeR99
Same problem I got a forward collision warning. There was a car in front of me and the car in front of him turned red and gave the warning and there was no danger. I also got the aggressive braking hit I have got it down some by slowing down way early. The best score I have been able to get is 92.
Well, You're WAY ahead of me. I'm driving like grandma Moses and only just got my score up to 84! I just got a ding today for "aggressive cornering", but I didn't even hit a corner. Much less do I hit a corner at high speed...looks like I'm screwed :(
I've never had an accident in my entire life...even as an obnoxious kid. Nor do I piss other people off. I'm bummed.

Reactions: DDSTEVE
The Safety Score is far from perfect and not a great proxy for measuring driving behavior (e.g. a person with a 75 may be no less safe than someone with a much higher score). It is, however, a gatekeeper, and they need one for this beta. I have no better suggestions, but as I said, it's far from perfect. I logged1,500 miles on during October and scored a 99. Had I commuted in stop-and-go traffic every day that would have been, IMHO, impossible. Checking the score after every drive and adapting your driving style to game the system is only (in my view) to achieve near-perfect scores in real-world driving situations.

I commute 160 miles a day.

I drive at 4 AM and usually score 100 on a 80 mile trip because there are less cars to follow, brake hard, turn sharply for and just need to stay awake to not get booted out of AP.

The return trip during 4PM rush hour traffic in San Diego and Temecula CA is a different story - score is usually 96 or worse.

Logged in 2K plus miles with an average 96 - in short, no FSD beta for me.

So, I reset my Safety Score (opt out on Thursday night and opt back in after a few hours, and reset the car) before the Friday AM trip. The idea is to log at least 100 miles, get the best score and hope to get FSD Beta the following Friday's version release.

I used Auto Pilot whenever possible - since miles counted but not any AP "unsafe" behavior.

I scored 99 over 180 miles on the first 3 days AND THEN avoided driving the car until after the next version release.

I got the FSD Beta 10 days after the reset.

Last edited:
One tip: nothing that happens while using Autosteer/FSD. Turn it on immediately and don't turn it off. Do not hit the brake during a hard stop. Go on a nice long interstate drive. You will get your score lower.
Clarification - Something does happen when you are using Autopilot...

Autopilot does count toward the overall Safety Score’s “mileage weighted average.” So if you do manage to get a high score on a very long drive – even if you are mostly in Autopilot – this can help to quickly bring your overall score up. Also, miles driven on Autopilot count toward the “Front Collision Warning” score as that is based on how many FCWs you get per 1,000 miles driven.

I used Autopilot on a 400 mile day trip when the program first started last month and saw this behavior.

The Safety Score is far from perfect and not a great proxy for measuring driving behavior (e.g. a person with a 75 may be no less safe than someone with a much higher score). It is, however, a gatekeeper, and they need one for this beta. I have no better suggestions, but as I said, it's far from perfect. I logged1,500 miles on during October and scored a 99. Had I commuted in stop-and-go traffic every day that would have been, IMHO, impossible. Checking the score after every drive and adapting your driving style to game the system is only (in my view) to achieve near-perfect scores in real-world driving situations.
All my driving is in town and I can't control other drivers. Even when keeping good distance you will have some one decide to turn at the last minute. It is also hard to keep flow with traffic and not make some fairly aggressive braking for lights. I feel I slow down sooner than and less harsh than autopilot yet I get dinged for aggressive breaking. Frustrating!!!

Hard braking kills your score...

You should view the safety score as not just an assessment of how skilled you are as a driver, but also how safe it would be for FSD to be active in the areas you drive.

If other drivers are constantly cutting you off and slamming on the brakes or the computer cannot understand your surroundings enough to avoid false positive forward collision warnings, it is quite reasonable for Tesla to feel that FSD is not a good fit for the situations you are driving in.

I get forward collision warnings every morning in two locations near my house. There are never any obstructions or vehicles within sight. Just a strait, empty bits of road and the car freaks at the same spots every time. I have no idea what the car thinks it is seeing, but clearly FSD is not a good fit for my neighborhood at this time.

Reactions: Ciaopec
If you live in the Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Sacramento area (basically most of California lol), your safety score isn't going to be great. Folks cutting in and out of traffic, short braking, changing without signals, cutting you off, etc., is a way of life here. I don't care how good of a driver you are. This is the environment you're in. I've had a total of 3 small accidents in my 42 years of driving, none of which were my fault. In each case I was hit by another vehicle (two of whom backed into me). But that still hurts your insurance rates because the environment you're in is less safe.

Reactions: Nolakai and alexcue
I do not think the bit about Autopilot not counting against Safety Score (except the miles) is true. Last night I had to drop a package off at a friend's. Basically a 45 mile round trip, 85% on a limited access highway. Since I would be in AP all this time, I was not concerned that it was late rush hour. I had the distance set for 6 and the speed set for 65 on a 65 limit. Because of the gap, I did have frequent people passing and moving back over too close, such that AP backed off a few mph. When I did my nightly check, I saw that I got dinged for 42% "too close" and in the red for that trip. This lowered my monthly score by another point, which was already going down by by the normal, but safe, hard braking and aggressive turning that I occasionally get. According to Tesla Safety score calculator, I need 500 miles plus to get back to 100. If you can't count on AP to help with this, I don't see a way out.

Reactions: thesmokingman