Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with sound system...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know old threads get lost in flotsam and jetsam of this forum, but spend a few minutes reading this thread regarding audio quality.

Here's my take at it. First, we had good, stereo audio. Then, as we got iPods, compression (MP3), and a myriad of digital tricks (e.g., Dolby) to make compressed audio sound better... we forgot what the true, uncompressed, original signal sounds like. Particularly in a car, which is a very hostile environment for fidelity. Most car systems are rear loaded, using back shelf to boost mid/lows... a sound we've gotten used to, but not really high fidelity.

Now, we are presented with a pretty accurate audio system that has a forward stage (like most traditional stereos) and prefers an uncompressed signal. And we think it sounds bad because we are so used to a compressed and then doctored signal.

I highly recommend anyone with the hi fi system to rip their CDs to FLAC (or at least a few to prove it to yourself) and put on memory stick or USB-powered drive. Then boost the bass as noted above. Then open your mind and listen for the separation and clarity you have been missing. Then go back and listen to that "great" system in your Benz, BMW, Lexus or whatever and see how muddy it is. Then you will appreciate that MS hi fi system is good.

I think we've all had the first reaction of the original poster on this thread.

I never turn Dolby on for anything.

It is amazing how many original recordings are bad and you don't really notice the difference until you hear it on a superior sound system. (I'm not saying the Premium System is superior.) The music I love the most sounds just pedestrian and flat when using basic Slacker or mp3. It is even worse with Bluetooth. I carry FLAC on USB and it helps.

I would still love to have a way to play music that deserves HDMI or music that was recorded as 5.1. I just leave that music at home for now and buy an extra recording in stereo.

I know old threads get lost in flotsam and jetsam of this forum, but spend a few minutes reading this thread regarding audio quality.

Here's my take at it. First, we had good, stereo audio. Then, as we got iPods, compression (MP3), and a myriad of digital tricks (e.g., Dolby) to make compressed audio sound better... we forgot what the true, uncompressed, original signal sounds like. Particularly in a car, which is a very hostile environment for fidelity. Most car systems are rear loaded, using back shelf to boost mid/lows... a sound we've gotten used to, but not really high fidelity.

Now, we are presented with a pretty accurate audio system that has a forward stage (like most traditional stereos) and prefers an uncompressed signal. And we think it sounds bad because we are so used to a compressed and then doctored signal.

I highly recommend anyone with the hi fi system to rip their CDs to FLAC (or at least a few to prove it to yourself) and put on memory stick or USB-powered drive. Then boost the bass as noted above. Then open your mind and listen for the separation and clarity you have been missing. Then go back and listen to that "great" system in your Benz, BMW, Lexus or whatever and see how muddy it is. Then you will appreciate that MS hi fi system is good.

I think we've all had the first reaction of the original poster on this thread.

I agree. I thought my mb hk was better and my wifes bmw hk system. But after 1 week of MS UHF going back to those, they seem very muddy and have no sound "seperation" like the MS85 UHF.

I use FLAC or 320 mp3 , 2014 nov build autopilot car.

I had read so many disparaging remarks about the sound that I thought the system was just something I would put up with.
I came out of a Porsche with the 4K Burmester upgrade so my Tesla expectations were pushed down maybe even a little more.
To my surprise and delight, I find the system really enjoyable. Mostly listen to Slacker (XM is too compressed but that is the case with every car), and am enjoying music more than on the Burmester (except for a few SACD's that really made the Burmester shine).
To my ears the Dolby must go off. It sounds pretty decent at low volume and of course better as the volume goes up. If you have a co-pilot with a good set of ears, almost every song can benefit from a little equalization tweaking.

If you are at all a critical listener, the difference is HUGE. I have a dear friend who designs some of the best audio equipment in the world, and he helped me "get it" in this regard.
But did you listen to high bitrate MP3s or did you compare FLAC to 128 kbps MP3s? It would be interesting to do this test with various bitrate MP3 as well as FLAC, the CD and also vinyl.

If I had to do it all again today I would rip to FLAC and then use a batch process to also convert to MP3. But I don't feel like reripping the 600 or so CDs that I have. Is it illegal to download the FLAC of a CD when you own the original CD? Like many of you I have lots of music that I bought three times (on vinyl, cassette and CD).

But did you listen to high bitrate MP3s or did you compare FLAC to 128 kbps MP3s? It would be interesting to do this test with various bitrate MP3 as well as FLAC, the CD and also vinyl.

If I had to do it all again today I would rip to FLAC and then use a batch process to also convert to MP3. But I don't feel like reripping the 600 or so CDs that I have. Is it illegal to download the FLAC of a CD when you own the original CD? Like many of you I have lots of music that I bought three times (on vinyl, cassette and CD).

No. You effectively own a perpetual license to the material. Downloading it in a different format is not illegal.

I received my P85+ on December 15th and was very happy, like a child get his new present.
however, like mentioned here, I was disappointed about the sound system. I also took the upgrade, but what upgrade.
My earlier Bose Sound System in my Porsche Cayenne was far more better.

how can we further upgrade this Sound system ?
I hope they enhance the sound system in future cars, this is not a TOP sound system

Is there much of a difference between the quality of FLAC vs high bitrate (320kbps or higher) MP3s. Lots of devices don't support FLAC.

There are other lossless formats, FLAC just happens to work with the Tesla system, Apple Lossless does not. And yes, there is a big difference if you are a critical listener just like Vger says (and often even if you are not).

- - - Updated - - -

I received my P85+ on December 15th and was very happy, like a child get his new present.
however, like mentioned here, I was disappointed about the sound system. I also took the upgrade, but what upgrade.
My earlier Bose Sound System in my Porsche Cayenne was far more better.

how can we further upgrade this Sound system ?
I hope they enhance the sound system in future cars, this is not a TOP sound system

1. Are you listening to lossless music? The Tesla audio system is a lot like a computer: garbage in, garbage out.

2. Reus is the upgrade installer of choice for improved sound. No doubt there are others, but Reus has a proven track record. You may be the very first Tesla for some other installer.

I agree with jerry33, I burn my cd's to iTunes and use MAC program to convert to FLAC then download to usb. Most of the time depending on where the cd came from they sound very good but once in a while they need pumping up with bass or volumn. I have one beatles album that came from Russia, do not know why that is purchased from Amazon but just not re-recorded very well.
FYI, Model S can play lossless AIFF files and iTunes can rip CDs to AIFF by default. That will save you the FLAC conversion step.

You really need to kick the bass up a moderate amount and the treble slightly in the EQ. I've found pushing the fade a bit towards the back of the car helps as well. There's a thread around here somewhere where people share their settings, but I think I use Bass +3.5, Mid 0, Treble +1.5, Fade -7.

System's not great but yes, this ought to improve it. I heard both standard and ultra high fidelity. It was not worth the C$2,800.

But the issue with lossless files is the size. What do you guys use to hold all of the files - a very large USB key, an SSD in a 2.5" external case, ordo you use 2.5" mechanical drives where you can get 2TB for about $100?

Yes I have done that but does not seem as good as FLAC, but that could be the cd quality. I will try it again using AIFF and see what the sound is like would be a bit easier.

It was probably the source. AIFF is uncompressed lossless, and FLAC is compressed lossless. The audio quality should be identical, with the only difference being the FLAC file sizes are smaller.

But the issue with lossless files is the size. What do you guys use to hold all of the files - a very large USB key, an SSD in a 2.5" external case, ordo you use 2.5" mechanical drives where you can get 2TB for about $100?

I have a tiny 64GB USB drive ( Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-064G-B35: Computers Accessories ). Depending on length, a FLAC album seems to be between 300MB and 500MB. So, very conservatively, you'd get at least 100 albums on there. Mine's a mix of FLAC and high-rate MP3/AAC.