Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with sound system...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your musical tastes run to hiphop, house or any other music that goes thump a lot, you'd likely be happier with an aftermarket upgrade than either of the Tesla systems. The UHF system is very well tuned for more natural sounding music (jazz, classical, acoustic, pop, rock). It does benefit from a 3-6db bass boost for most modern music and the Dolby is just a very odd sounding effect to my ears.

I listened to both systems before ordering and thought the base system is fine for non-demanding listening and that the UHF system was a worthwhile upgrade.

I come from a musician/ sound engineering background and enjoy tube amps on Martin Logan electrostatics for reference.

If your musical tastes run to hiphop, house or any other music that goes thump a lot, you'd likely be happier with an aftermarket upgrade than either of the Tesla systems. The UHF system is very well tuned for more natural sounding music (jazz, classical, acoustic, pop, rock). It does benefit from a 3-6db bass boost for most modern music and the Dolby is just a very odd sounding effect to my ears.

I listened to both systems before ordering and thought the base system is fine for non-demanding listening and that the UHF system was a worthwhile upgrade.

I come from a musician/ sound engineering background and enjoy tube amps on Martin Logan electrostatics for reference.

Tube amps, Martin Logan, huh? Well, you certainly aren't a starving musician/sound engineer! Congratulations.

So I decided to try turning on Dolby again after having it off for the past nearly two years and I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised that it was much better than how it used to work. The sound stage is pushed forward - perhaps a bit too much, but in general it actually sounded good. I'll have to do some comparisons to see which one I like better, but I'll admit there have been significant improvements.

The tube amps and Martin Logans I've had since forever ... Certainly not claiming audiophile status(!), just mentioned them to qualify the comment about sound quality. The ML's have a big sound stage and are fairly neutral. I find the Tesla UHF similar in nature, that is to say, not a kick ass system, but quite good in other respects. Audio is like art - very personal and subjective.

I decided against the UHFS, I could not hear any bass extension in the demo car. The bass slider was adjusting 120-130Hz (which is NOT bass), so it sounded pretty bad. Is this perhaps because Dolby surround was on? No that doesn't even make sense. I double checked 3 times if I was in the right car. It had more speakers, for sure. The stock sound system sounded OK at 4b 0m 1t.

Last edited:
I decided against the UHFS, I could not hear any bass extension in the demo car. The bass slider was adjusting 120-130Hz (which is NOT bass), so it sounded pretty bad. Is this perhaps because Dolby surround was on? No that doesn't even make sense. I double checked 3 times if I was in the right car. It had more speakers, for sure. The stock sound system sounded OK at 4b 0m 1t.

Oh nice, I see you ordered your P90DL yesterday! Congrats

I'd be interested to hear a newer Model S without UHFS because I'm really happy with UHFS and not sure I understand how standard could sound close to it. The bass in my car is actually really good and much better than the premium audio in my Mercedes. Dolby does change the depth of the bass, but highs can sound worse. Dolby also varies from song to song. I had an audiophile friend play with it and we had to keep flipping it back and forth depending on song.

Oh nice, I see you ordered your P90DL yesterday! Congrats

I'd be interested to hear a newer Model S without UHFS because I'm really happy with UHFS and not sure I understand how standard could sound close to it. The bass in my car is actually really good and much better than the premium audio in my Mercedes. Dolby does change the depth of the bass, but highs can sound worse. Dolby also varies from song to song. I had an audiophile friend play with it and we had to keep flipping it back and forth depending on song.

Thanks!

This wasn't just the depth of bass, there was part of the sound that was missing, regardless of what track or source I tried. Like somebody unplugged the subwoofer. Even more mysterious was the bass slider was totally adjusting the wrong band.

What happens in your car if you turn bass up to max? It should be very deep sound, 25-60 Hz.

Thanks!

This wasn't just the depth of bass, there was part of the sound that was missing, regardless of what track or source I tried. Like somebody unplugged the subwoofer. Even more mysterious was the bass slider was totally adjusting the wrong band.

What happens in your car if you turn bass up to max? It should be very deep sound, 25-60 Hz.

When you were in the demo car, was this a new car? That makes a lot of difference. When picked up my car the sound is crap, it really really is. No bass, sounds flat, etc. Adjust the bass, play music normally and suffer, and after the speakers flex for a few days to a week it will sounds way way better. I'd say come visit, but it is kinda far to listen to a sound system haha.

There some songs certain bands are weaker than the headphones I use, but I attribute that to the handling of other ranges better and the sub not being a high end aftermarket one. That is strange that it adjusted the wrong band. When I adjust mine the bass is definitely being adjusted... I keep mine at 6. I haven't tried 10, but I can when I go out later.

When my audiophile friend checked it out he asked me to play "Why So Serious" from the Dark Knight soundtrack to see what kind of range it has. That song will have an entire section that sounds quiet if you have no low range bass. We could hear it and feel the bass, but he said on his home system it is better.

My view on UHFS is that at the very least having the extra speakers installed cleanly by the factory, and that they are larger speakers is worth the 2500. Maybe it is over paying for "installation", but having someone increase speaker size and count by cutting, running wires, building housings, etc gets expensive.

When you were in the demo car, was this a new car? That makes a lot of difference. When picked up my car the sound is crap, it really really is. No bass, sounds flat, etc. Adjust the bass, play music normally and suffer, and after the speakers flex for a few days to a week it will sounds way way better. I'd say come visit, but it is kinda far to listen to a sound system haha.
It was their test drive car. No amount of break-in was going to fix that sound.

- - - Updated - - -

My view on UHFS is that at the very least having the extra speakers installed cleanly by the factory, and that they are larger speakers is worth the 2500. Maybe it is over paying for "installation", but having someone increase speaker size and count by cutting, running wires, building housings, etc gets expensive.
The highs were better placed for sure. I was looking for the specs for the non-premium audio, nowhere to be found.

It was their test drive car. No amount of break-in was going to fix that sound.

- - - Updated - - -

The highs were better placed for sure. I was looking for the specs for the non-premium audio, nowhere to be found.

Audio Enhancements | TeslaTap

Company that designed it (AFAIK)
http://www.s1nn.de/system/uploads/attachment/file/548ed54bbfc4384f1f00000b/Tesla-TechnischeInformationen_deutsch_englisch.pdf

The sound system hardware in the Model S will impress even the most discerning music
lover. The basic version of the sound system generates 200 watts, with 40-watt
speakers (160 mm) incorporated in all four doors and two passive tweeters (30 mm) in
the A-pillar. A mid-range speaker (80 mm) located centrally on the dashboard adds a
further 40 watts. In the premium version – which around 70 percent of Tesla customers
opt for after listening to demo systems – the sound system has an output of 560 watts.
Two tweeters (30 mm) in the A-pillar each deliver up to 20 watts and two mid-range
speakers (80 mm) each add a further 40 watts. Two 80-watt woofers (200 mm) are fitted
in the front doors and two 40-watt speakers (160 mm) in the rear doors. Three 40-watt
mid-range speakers (80 mm) complete the surround sound system. One special feature
is the 80-watt bass box. Comparable models have boxes with a volume of eight to
twelve liters, but the Tesla Model S has a 25-liter bass box for a particularly impressive
depth of sound.

I wasn't thrilled with the sound either. But then I played some high quality recording of off USB and it wasn't that bad. Could use more base so might get sub woofer (NVX?).
But something is missing on some songs. More like mid range than bass missing or "odd". Compared to computer -> O2 DAC/AMP -> HD800 (perhaps not a fair comparison).
I like listening to The Flaming Lips' "At War with the Mystics" because it is so well recorded and covers the full spectrum of frequencies.

Cheers
coder

I wasn't thrilled with the sound either. But then I played some high quality recording of off USB and it wasn't that bad. Could use more base so might get sub woofer (NVX?).
But something is missing on some songs. More like mid range than bass missing or "odd". Compared to computer -> O2 DAC/AMP -> HD800 (perhaps not a fair comparison).
I like listening to The Flaming Lips' "At War with the Mystics" because it is so well recorded and covers the full spectrum of frequencies.

Cheers
coder

Standard or UHFS?

My car has more bass than any stock system I've listened to before, but I haven't ridden in every car or had control over the music in every car.

Standard or UHFS?

My car has more bass than any stock system I've listened to before, but I haven't ridden in every car or had control over the music in every car.

I tested out another car with UHFS. This one seemed to actually have bass. Used a tone generator app to see how low the bass went. It was mostly flat to 25Hz the fell off to nothing by 20 Hz. Small hump somewhere around 100hz (not what I'd expect for $2500). Dolby on or off didn't matter. I think some of these cars are just duds... The Tesla store people seem to be somewhat opinionless, for lack of better words.

+1 You should find someone local who has the NVX sub and spend some time listening to your own music on it. I was planning on getting the NVX until I did, and I discovered that it was not the solution (to the general lack of low end) I was hoping for.

Cheers
coder

I've actually been pleased with the sound quality. However, it's very much a garbage in, garbage out system. It plays very cleanly, but doesn't disguise recording flaws (many recordings are not particularly high quality, and the Tesla system shows the flaws).