Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with the Refreshed 2021 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was super excited for the Model X refresh. Now, I am seriously disappointed.
a) Range: I was seriously hoping for 450 Mile range. When Cybertruck can give us 500 mile range with 70 K, Tesla's flagship SUV can give us at least 450 miles for 90K. They actually decreased it to 360 from 371! Being the current owner of 2016 MX 90D, I absolutely need more miles. Even with the latest MX revisions(2020 with 371 miles and the new one at 3660 miles), the real world mileage is at least 20% short. This is my experience too on my MX (Confirmed here: More Questions Surface Over Tesla's EV Ranges)
b) No upgrades to seating comfort and luxury: Being a flagship SUV, I need to be transported in very comfortable seats. Teslas seats with basic adjustments and cutting cornets on width and depth do not meet this bar. For long drives, my dangling legs are a pain. Tesla needs to learn from Porsche, Audi and Benz here..
Apart from the above 2 major issues, everything else is good. Especially the 250 KW charge speed is cool! Although don't know the real world charge rates yet :)

* I had a '16 Sig X P90DL (RIP with deer).
* My travel with my used (service loaner) '17 X 100D has been very different.
Probably a combo of more superchargers and V2 version of them but it is way more 'comfortable' and even able to skip some chargers to get to the next one.

I wonder when they will come out with the equivalent Plaid+ (diff battery; more range)
______________________________________ __________________________ __________________________________
tfXvkFU.jpg

______________________________________ __________________________ __________________________________
wTCmp5J.jpg

I started a thread the morning after the announcement about the decrease in range. I have a feeling this first round does have advances in range. But it was so good compared to competition there is no reason to release it now. So they reduced the battery size only to increase it sometime later.

I’m not gonna guess kWh but I bet there is physical room for a 20-25% larger battery and this is basically an “SR”. I would not even think about this release until a “LR” is available. I want a Dual motor X with a plaid+ battery.

I have a Sept/2019 X and I’m happy with seats. Perhaps kids under age 12 their feet might “dangle” but certainly no adult dangles their feet.

I was super excited for the Model X refresh. Now, I am seriously disappointed.
a) Range: I was seriously hoping for 450 Mile range. When Cybertruck can give us 500 mile range with 70 K, Tesla's flagship SUV can give us at least 450 miles for 90K. They actually decreased it to 360 from 371! Being the current owner of 2016 MX 90D, I absolutely need more miles. Even with the latest MX revisions(2020 with 371 miles and the new one at 3660 miles), the real world mileage is at least 20% short. This is my experience too on my MX (Confirmed here: More Questions Surface Over Tesla's EV Ranges)
b) No upgrades to seating comfort and luxury: Being a flagship SUV, I need to be transported in very comfortable seats. Teslas seats with basic adjustments and cutting cornets on width and depth do not meet this bar. For long drives, my dangling legs are a pain. Tesla needs to learn from Porsche, Audi and Benz here..
Apart from the above 2 major issues, everything else is good. Especially the 250 KW charge speed is cool! Although don't know the real world charge rates yet :)
Regarding the Cybertruck's range - at this moment, it is ZERO. I wouldn't get too hung up on a projection that hasn't come to fruition yet. As far as the seats, my 2017 MX has the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a vehicle. I have no complaints there. I've read that the older MX seats weren't as good but I have to believe they only got better after my X was produced. As for "dangling feet", I'm also very satisfied with amount of height adjustment these seats offer. Was this different with the lower VINs?

Regarding the Cybertruck's range - at this moment, it is ZERO. I wouldn't get too hung up on a projection that hasn't come to fruition yet. As far as the seats, my 2017 MX has the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a vehicle. I have no complaints there. I've read that the older MX seats weren't as good but I have to believe they only got better after my X was produced. As for "dangling feet", I'm also very satisfied with amount of height adjustment these seats offer. Was this different with the lower VINs?

It is the not the height of the seats. It's the "width" and the "depth" of the seats (especially front row). Also, the lumbar support is not good. Not worthy of a luxury car.

Last edited:
It is the not the height of the seats. It's the "width" and the "depth" of the seats (especially front row). Also, the lumbar support is not good. Not worthy of a luxury car. Sedats are there
Unclear about your comments without your height and general weight.
Perhaps your just not in the 95th percentile. 95th percentile car design - Google Search

• Disagree
Reactions: ladysbff
Unclear about your comments without your height and general weight.
Perhaps your just not in the 95th percentile. 95th percentile car design - Google Search

That is the thing. I am 6.0 feet tall. My friends Benz GLE is much more comfortable to sit for long drives. Recently drove to Richmond VA in the GLE and it was a pleasure. I felt I was wrapped in a woolen warp and transported. I was the front passenger.

That is the thing. I am 6.0 feet tall. My friends Benz GLE is much more comfortable to sit for long drives. Recently drove to Richmond VA in the GLE and it was a pleasure. I felt I was wrapped in a woolen warp and transported. I was the front passenger.

Great, just buy a long range Mercedes EV then! Oh wait...

It is the not the height of the seats. It's the "width" and the "depth" of the seats (especially front row). Also, the lumbar support is not good. Not worthy of a luxury car.
I'm still confused. So do you have long legs and a 'healthy' backside? (not sure how to ask but you keep talking about width). And no I'm not perfectly proportioned and have adjusted my seat (i.e. on long 5000 roadtrips in the past couple years). I have a user profile for roadtrips :)

Last edited:
Great, just buy a long range Mercedes EV then! Oh wait...

Yeah, these are the comments I expect from Tesla fanboys. Tesla has the balls to charge 90K for substandard range and below par luxury and we hero worship. I am a Tesla shareholder and am pissed off. Some times, we need to give them back. Rivian's R1S will definitely east into Model X sales. Although, I believe Cybertruck will be the king in Pickup trucks.

I'm still confused. So do you have long legs and a 'healthy' backside? (not sure how to ask but you keep talking about width). And no I'm not perfectly proportioned and have adjusted my seat (i.e. on long 5000 roadtrips in the past couple years). I have a user profile for roadtrips :)

Yes, I have long legs. I prefer a "flatter" seat base. Not the protruding ones at the edges that MX has that kind of cocconns my hips with no wiggle room. I definitely need a a motorized seat extender.

Keep in mind that the Cybertruck isn't built yet. The expected range is based on new battery technology that they are developing that will be used in the cyber truck. The model x is using current battery technology. Once they develop the new batteries those inevitably going to the model x as well in the range will be more comparable to the cyber truck.

No seat is going to be perfect for everyone. For me, my X has the most comfortable seats I have ever enjoyed for long trips. Previous cars were Mercedes (hard) and Jeep Grand Cherokee (softer).

Perhaps it is the Tesla Autopilot that makes them feel so comfy. With Autopilot on I can move around from time to time and this seems to be a huge benefit on long stints.

Plaid+ is projected to offer 520 miles of EPA range. Most would find that to be a goodly amount.

I don’t really understand the OP’s post. If you don’t like it, don’t get it. Don’t be excited, etc. You’re right. Range should be more. But the tech for Cybertruck and the Roadster doesn’t actually exist yet, so that’s why they’re so much higher. As for comfort, my 2016 P90DX always gets compliments from others about comfort. So I think it’s just a matter of what you like.

I personally hate the seats and interior in Porsche Taycan, every Mercedes, etc. But I don’t go on their boards to complain as I am never going to buy one.

If there is ever legit competition, Tesla may have to up its game to luxury. But remember, they are “Premium” not luxury cars and for now, they can get by with the bare minimum because there is, literally, no competitor for the S or X, If you care about range, and range rules right now, because anyone coming from ICE to EV first has to get over range anxiety. Porsche with 200 miles and Audi Etron with 220 is pathetic. My 2016 X had 248, now 228 with use, etc. Range, range, range. Even at 360, the new X crushes others. Cut off 20% if you think it’s not “real” range and 288 is still a lot better than anywhere else...bottom line, we need real competition in the EV space and it is unlikely to come from the incumbents.

I am not a fanboy. My wife wanted the etron, until she saw the range...

No seat is going to be perfect for everyone. For me, my X has the most comfortable seats I have ever enjoyed for long trips. Previous cars were Mercedes (hard) and Jeep Grand Cherokee (softer).

Perhaps it is the Tesla Autopilot that makes them feel so comfy. With Autopilot on I can move around from time to time and this seems to be a huge benefit on long stints.

Plaid+ is projected to offer 520 miles of EPA range. Most would find that to be a goodly amount.

Plaid+ is only for Model S, not for Model X. I need the extra height of an SUV. Don't need 520. Even 450 miles is fine.

Seats changed in late 2017/2018. You might try a later model. I find my 2018 X seats to be very comfortable on trips. Definitely better than my neighbor's Taycan Turbo S.

Regarding range, does anyone know if they will put a heat pump as part of refresh? If they did and it works like in the Y and other EVs should help increase the cold weather range.

Last edited:
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Yeah, these are the comments I expect from Tesla fanboys. Tesla has the balls to charge 90K for substandard range and below par luxury and we hero worship. I am a Tesla shareholder and am pissed off. Some times, we need to give them back. Rivian's R1S will definitely east into Model X sales. Although, I believe Cybertruck will be the king in Pickup trucks.

Sigh, try to make a funny comment, get called names. Maybe this forum isn't for you if you don't like people that like Teslas?

If there is ever legit competition, Tesla may have to up its game to luxury. But remember, they are “Premium” not luxury cars and for now, they can get by with the bare minimum because there is, literally, no competitor for the S or X, ]

This. That's what I was trying to get at with my attempt at humor on buying a Mercedes EV. There is no competition in the EV space, so your choices are either to buy a luxury ICE or buy a Tesla.

Reactions: elguapo