Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with the Refreshed 2021 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you need to make up your mind. in previous post you said to "wait, don't get the car yet" and now "do get another car"?
If I get another car now - that means there are two choices originally outlined, and the third one you said exists - does not.

He is acting like a troll. Maybe we should ignore him until he starts posting intelligent and/or useful comments?

• Disagree
Reactions: DanCar
I don’t really understand the OP’s post. If you don’t like it, don’t get it. Don’t be excited, etc. You’re right. Range should be more. But the tech for Cybertruck and the Roadster doesn’t actually exist yet, so that’s why they’re so much higher. As for comfort, my 2016 P90DX always gets compliments from others about comfort. So I think it’s just a matter of what you like.

I personally hate the seats and interior in Porsche Taycan, every Mercedes, etc. But I don’t go on their boards to complain as I am never going to buy one.

If there is ever legit competition, Tesla may have to up its game to luxury. But remember, they are “Premium” not luxury cars and for now, they can get by with the bare minimum because there is, literally, no competitor for the S or X, If you care about range, and range rules right now, because anyone coming from ICE to EV first has to get over range anxiety. Porsche with 200 miles and Audi Etron with 220 is pathetic. My 2016 X had 248, now 228 with use, etc. Range, range, range. Even at 360, the new X crushes others. Cut off 20% if you think it’s not “real” range and 288 is still a lot better than anywhere else...bottom line, we need real competition in the EV space and it is unlikely to come from the incumbents.

I am not a fanboy. My wife wanted the etron, until she saw the range...

So - range is good - and Tesla has that market cornered (for now). That said - lots of people will never worry about that kind of range - or at least not have it be the deciding factor. My wife drove the X and Y, and a few other EVs - and got the e-Tron. It doesn't come close to Tesla's range - but she drives 3 miles each way to work with an occasional 30-mile round trip run to the hospital to deliver babies. For her - the superior interior (seat comfort, etc) was more important that range.

From a "luxury" perspective - Tesla finally does have competition. From a battery and range perspective - not so much. That, however, will change with time. If range isn't critical - the e-Tron is a great EV. I haven't look at the Jag or Porsche. I don't consider 220 mile range to be "pathetic" - but to each his own. I will also say that the Audi charges better than the Tesla - faster charge rate across the capacity spectrum.

I'm looking forward to the X refresh as I'm still in the market for an EV. I had a MY for an overnight last night and just don't like it. Too minimalist for me - it needs the small center display or HUD or something - and the road noise was really loud (in my opinion).

Anyway - I'm all for more EVs on the road, more competition leads to better products. That gets ICEs off the road.

YMMV.

So - range is good - and Tesla has that market cornered (for now). That said - lots of people will never worry about that kind of range - or at least not have it be the deciding factor. My wife drove the X and Y, and a few other EVs - and got the e-Tron. It doesn't come close to Tesla's range - but she drives 3 miles each way to work with an occasional 30-mile round trip run to the hospital to deliver babies. For her - the superior interior (seat comfort, etc) was more important that range.

From a "luxury" perspective - Tesla finally does have competition. From a battery and range perspective - not so much. That, however, will change with time. If range isn't critical - the e-Tron is a great EV. I haven't look at the Jag or Porsche. I don't consider 220 mile range to be "pathetic" - but to each his own. I will also say that the Audi charges better than the Tesla - faster charge rate across the capacity spectrum.

I'm looking forward to the X refresh as I'm still in the market for an EV. I had a MY for an overnight last night and just don't like it. Too minimalist for me - it needs the small center display or HUD or something - and the road noise was really loud (in my opinion).

Anyway - I'm all for more EVs on the road, more competition leads to better products. That gets ICEs off the road.

YMMV.
The e-tron also has a realistic price for what you get. The Taycan's price is too high, IMO vis a vis the X. All solid points you made. Look, if range doesn't matter at all, a used Nissan Leaf is a bargain. There's zero luxury, but it does the trick.

On the minimalist side, the dash on the X and S is definitely nice, but Tesla's overall design is very minimalist. When they get competition they may, or may not, decide to change.

Reactions: DMC-Orangeville
The e-tron also has a realistic price for what you get. The Taycan's price is too high, IMO vis a vis the X. All solid points you made. Look, if range doesn't matter at all, a used Nissan Leaf is a bargain. There's zero luxury, but it does the trick.

On the minimalist side, the dash on the X and S is definitely nice, but Tesla's overall design is very minimalist. When they get competition they may, or may not, decide to change.
Agree. But, I think the X should be getting more "luxurious,’ particularly with the price increase. I fear it’s headed the other way (cost savings). We’ll see. Tesla gets all the credit for moving the EV market.

Reactions: elguapo
Yeah, these are the comments I expect from Tesla fanboys. Tesla has the balls to charge 90K for substandard range and below par luxury and we hero worship. I am a Tesla shareholder and am pissed off. Some times, we need to give them back. Rivian's R1S will definitely east into Model X sales. Although, I believe Cybertruck will be the king in Pickup trucks.

I am a Tesla fan by and most likely had more Tesla's than anyone else on this site and 100% agree with you. For the price of the X it should be nicer with more range. Tesla needs to up it's game and quick. 340 range is lame for $90K+

Reactions: cusetownusa
a) Range: I was seriously hoping for 450 Mile range. When Cybertruck can give us 500 mile range with 70 K, Tesla's flagship SUV can give us at least 450 miles for 90K. They actually decreased it to 360 from 371! Being the current owner of 2016 MX 90D, I absolutely need more miles. Even with the latest MX revisions(2020 with 371 miles and the new one at 360 miles), the real world mileage is at least 20% short. This is my experience too on my MX (Confirmed here: More Questions Surface Over Tesla's EV Ranges)
Absolutely nailed it. The MX should have more range than the CT tri motor, not less

YMMV.
I'm also in the "Audi club" now....for the same reasons as your wife. I just ordered a Sportback. Lower range, but faster charging (150KW to 95%). See:
Also, free Charging at Electrify America/Canada for 2 years.

I really don't like the new X or S interior. Tesla is aiming at the minimalist market, and I'm not one of them. I want the comfort, style, and ride of a luxury car. The e-Tron gave it to me. The new X leaves me cold.

Disappointing, really. I've had my S for 6 years, and I'm giving it to my son to get him out of ICE. I've had a few issues with my S, but I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm currently a Director of the Ontario Tesla Owners' Club, and I'll be leaving it when I get my new ride. However, I'm staying on the "electric team".
A small note, in passing. The Audi e-Tron forum is packed full of former Tesla owners, that changed over for this, and quality/service issues. As other manufacturers introduce better EVs, Tesla better take note, and listen to those who leave, if they want to keep their dominance in the EV market.

I'm also in the "Audi club" now....for the same reasons as your wife. I just ordered a Sportback. Lower range, but faster charging (150KW to 95%). See:

I really don't like the new X or S interior. Tesla is aiming at the minimalist market, and I'm not one of them. I want the comfort, style, and ride of a luxury car. The e-Tron gave it to me. The new X leaves me cold.

Disappointing, really. I've had my S for 6 years, and I'm giving it to my son to get him out of ICE. I've had a few issues with my S, but I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm currently a Director of the Ontario Tesla Owners' Club, and I'll be leaving it when I get my new ride. However, I'm staying on the "electric team".
A small note, in passing. The Audi e-Tron forum is packed full of former Tesla owners, that changed over for this, and quality/service issues. As other manufacturers introduce better EVs, Tesla better take note, and listen to those who leave, if they want to keep their dominance in the EV market.
Does the Audi have a 6 seat version?

Nope. I don't need 6 or 7 seats.

Have fun with your e-tron. For me, I'll stick with the refreshed X because:

- longer range
- excellent autopilot (for long distance ski trips, this is a must!)
- better fast charging network (more locations, don't encounter broken stations as often)
- I LOVE the new steering wheel
- 6 seats

Have fun with your e-tron. For me, I'll stick with the refreshed X because:

- longer range
- excellent autopilot (for long distance ski trips, this is a must!)
- better fast charging network (more locations, don't encounter broken stations as often)
- I LOVE the new steering wheel
- 6 seats
I'm not going to dispute anything you wrote, here. All valid.
This decision was gut-wrenching. If you see my posts over the past 6 years, I've been, generally, very positive about Tesla, my S, service, and quality. You won't see me running Tesla down - just the opposite. But......Tesla's obsession with minimalism, the yoke steering wheel, getting rid of stalks, and re-orienting the screen, just doesn't appeal to me.

So, your X works perfectly for you - great! It works for a lot of people. I love the lines of it, the power, and the toys, too.
But....
I want a nicer quieter ride, and a great fit and finish. I don't need more than 4 seats. I don't want FSD or full autopilot. I won't use it, and both the Audi and Tesla offer great TACC and lane keeping. 95% of my driving will be trips under 120 miles. I do go to Ottawa and Montreal once or twice a year, and between Electrify Canada and Petro-Canada's new HVDC program ( Usually 4-6 CCS 150KW+ per station), I am easily covered.
But I really don't like the yoke steering wheel......
So the Audi works better for me. It's nice that there are some choices available now, for EVs.
You like chocolate ice cream, and I like banana ice cream. We both are happy

The question is, will they buy another vehicle from that same brand again. It makes sense to try something else but I do wonder how well the dealer support will be for those EVs. Just because dealerships have decades of experience supporting ICE doesn’t mean that automatically translates to EVs. A bit too early to know one way or the other.

Reactions: elguapo
I'm not going to dispute anything you wrote, here. All valid.
This decision was gut-wrenching. If you see my posts over the past 6 years, I've been, generally, very positive about Tesla, my S, service, and quality. You won't see me running Tesla down - just the opposite. But......Tesla's obsession with minimalism, the yoke steering wheel, getting rid of stalks, and re-orienting the screen, just doesn't appeal to me.

So, your X works perfectly for you - great! It works for a lot of people. I love the lines of it, the power, and the toys, too.
But....
I want a nicer quieter ride, and a great fit and finish. I don't need more than 4 seats. I don't want FSD or full autopilot. I won't use it, and both the Audi and Tesla offer great TACC and lane keeping. 95% of my driving will be trips under 120 miles. I do go to Ottawa and Montreal once or twice a year, and between Electrify Canada and Petro-Canada's new HVDC program ( Usually 4-6 CCS 150KW+ per station), I am easily covered.
But I really don't like the yoke steering wheel......
So the Audi works better for me. It's nice that there are some choices available now, for EVs.
You like chocolate ice cream, and I like banana ice cream. We both are happy
I’d bet dollars to donuts that one can opt for the round steering wheel.

The question is, will they buy another vehicle from that same brand again. It makes sense to try something else but I do wonder how well the dealer support will be for those EVs. Just because dealerships have decades of experience supporting ICE doesn’t mean that automatically translates to EVs. A bit too early to know one way or the other.
But can't you ask the same thing about Tesla? Dealer / warranty / support experience? With more offerings from more companies (Audi, Cadillac, Kia, Hyundai, Chevy, Ford, etc) - isn't it possible that people gravitate towards manufacturers who build cars with a bit more care than Tesla? A bit more comfort?

But can't you ask the same thing about Tesla? Dealer / warranty / support experience? With more offerings from more companies (Audi, Cadillac, Kia, Hyundai, Chevy, Ford, etc) - isn't it possible that people gravitate towards manufacturers who build cars with a bit more care than Tesla? A bit more comfort?
Depends on the experience. So far going on 5 years, I’d still rank Tesla my best lasting car with fewest issues and ease of support. Obviously that’s not true for everyone. I certainly don’t plan on ever buying a GM or Ford product again.

Depends on the experience. So far going on 5 years, I’d still rank Tesla my best lasting car with fewest issues and ease of support. Obviously that’s not true for everyone. I certainly don’t plan on ever buying a GM or Ford product again.
Fair enough. I'm looking forward to at least seeing the Hummer EV Pickup - and I'll have to see how Ford does in the coming years. I think the leaders in coming years on EVs, for quality builds, will be Hyundai and Kia. I have never been brand loyal - I have no problem leaving for a different manufacturer. Crappy car, poor build, lousy service - I'm out - there are plenty to choose from.