Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with the Refreshed 2021 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not going to dispute anything you wrote, here. All valid.
This decision was gut-wrenching. If you see my posts over the past 6 years, I've been, generally, very positive about Tesla, my S, service, and quality. You won't see me running Tesla down - just the opposite. But......Tesla's obsession with minimalism, the yoke steering wheel, getting rid of stalks, and re-orienting the screen, just doesn't appeal to me.

So, your X works perfectly for you - great! It works for a lot of people. I love the lines of it, the power, and the toys, too.
But....
I want a nicer quieter ride, and a great fit and finish. I don't need more than 4 seats. I don't want FSD or full autopilot. I won't use it, and both the Audi and Tesla offer great TACC and lane keeping. 95% of my driving will be trips under 120 miles. I do go to Ottawa and Montreal once or twice a year, and between Electrify Canada and Petro-Canada's new HVDC program ( Usually 4-6 CCS 150KW+ per station), I am easily covered.
But I really don't like the yoke steering wheel......
So the Audi works better for me. It's nice that there are some choices available now, for EVs.
You like chocolate ice cream, and I like banana ice cream. We both are happy
Hope you check back in after your honeymoon period ends with the e-tron. I personally think it looks great and is largely compelling and certainly understand your reasons for departing the brand. Hope it works out and would be interested in the pros and cons along the way.

Digressing a bit but as much as I endorse new competition in the EV space from other manufacturers, one thing that sticks with me for non Tesla is the constant upgrade cycle with almost all manufacturers, once I left the German brands I sort of had this epiphany; I would lease then lust for the next model when it came out with the compelling upgrades. Obvious strategy as they're in the for-profit business (Musk has stated this, profits and dividends low just enough to satiate shareholders though has done that in spades anyway) and not driving conversion to sustainability. I think Tesla have and will continue to resist this and keep their vehicles 'fresh' for as long as possible, I think Mercedes SL-Class Coupe was one of the longest.

Depends on the experience. So far going on 5 years, I’d still rank Tesla my best lasting car with fewest issues and ease of support. Obviously that’s not true for everyone. I certainly don’t plan on ever buying a GM or Ford product again.
Totally agree. My BMW M3 was always having something done to it and cost me $3,000+ per year for service/fixes, my wife’s Audi seems to always have some issue, etc.

I might consider another EV brand, but I’d be surprised if it were a GM or Ford or even VW/Porsche. There’s just so much baggage from the incumbents. But competition is good so I hope others rise up.

The thing that concerns me about non-Tesla EVs is the charging networks. If you do any amount of traveling, videos like this are a source of concern for at least Ford products.
The other piece is software. Chevy’s app is bad. Like it or not, Tesla’s app and their in car software is really good and updated regularly, etc. Do I wish I good have waypoints for navigation? 100%. But do I think Ford, GM, VW and others will do a better job with software. Not at all.

Reactions: jboy210
Totally agree. My BMW M3 was always having something done to it and cost me $3,000+ per year for service/fixes, my wife’s Audi seems to always have some issue, etc.

I might consider another EV brand, but I’d be surprised if it were a GM or Ford or even VW/Porsche. There’s just so much baggage from the incumbents. But competition is good so I hope others rise up.
We have owned numerous BMW 3 series cars. Everyone that had a turbocharger had it fail after 70,000+. Repairs rain $5,000-7,000 for new turbo and wastegate. And don't get me started on the BMW battery calibration requirement!!!