Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same thing happened to me on my first delivery. I rejected the car and waited two weeks for the next one. Fortunately the next one was in excellent shape and six months later has been running perfectly. You made the right decision to reject a car you won’t be happy with. So many people end up taking the car and then contemplating returning it within the seven day return period, which is far messier to deal with and definitely should only be used as a last resort.

They were pretty obvious defects. Even the detail guy agreed, you could tell someone tried to wet sand some of the spots. The hood should be fixable. There were also scapes and dings on the lower front spoiler.

I I would hope they just don’t put it back in inventory and try to pass it off on someone else, not cool. I did ask what they would do it and they told me they would probably put it on the showroom floor, I don’t believe that ...

I did offer to take the car if they would fix the hood and give me a credit for the paint defects, but no go.

I had to wait about 30 minutes so I checked all three M3’s in the bay, the other two were perfect, no issues.

That's an improvement though. :p

Seriously when I went to pick up mine about a year ago I was upset at some paint things, and a body alignment issue on the fender.

I was trying to decide between taking delivery with a due bill promise that they'd fix it. Or rejecting it, and getting a different VIN. I had a Model S I was perfectly happy with it so completely walking away from the Model 3 was another option. I was trading in the Model S, but I also felt bad in trading in a perfectly good car.

When I walked around looking at other vehicles on the lot they all had issues. The person near me listed out the things he found. It was mostly paint stuff.

The only people who didn't find anything were a couple with kids, but they didn't even look. They asked a few questions about how to use stuff, and then they were gone.

The only pristine car I found was the display model.

The place was absolutely humming though. There were tons of detailers working diligently.

One of which they assigned to me for good hour or so.

It was a crazy quarter, and they definitely let things slip.

Went to pick up my model 3 today found several issues with the paint, debris in the clear coat that would require a re paint and a crooked hood...

They said the hood was in spec however the two other model 3’s sitting next to mine were perfect.

They said they would try to find me another car...

Most people don't care. I didn't think twice previously when purchasing a car to look for these things. Only after I came upon this forum, I became so anal to look for these things. Most people don't know or care

I think you have a right to demand good paint... there was a guy a few weeks ago who was upset that Tesla wouldn’t keep getting new cars for him after he pulled calipers out to measure his Abel gaps after the fifth car, but this is different

Imagine that if you reject a car, Tesla will rework it prior offering it to the next person.

Not sure what other option Tesla may have if a car is rejected. Can't imagine sending it to the crusher. Perhaps put it into the loaner fleet, but Elon wants his loaners to be in good shape as well.

I think you have a right to demand good paint... there was a guy a few weeks ago who was upset that Tesla wouldn’t keep getting new cars for him after he pulled calipers out to measure his Abel gaps after the fifth car, but this is different

Agreed, gaps can be fixed, the hood issue while obvious should be correctable. Paint... that’s tough, the spots were on the pilers and passenger quarter panels... paint match can be a bitch, blending a red color, no thanks. Better to wet sand a bit to reduce it and leave it be.

Imagine that if you reject a car, Tesla will rework it prior offering it to the next person.

Not sure what other option Tesla may have if a car is rejected. Can't imagine sending it to the crusher. Perhaps put it into the loaner fleet, but Elon wants his loaners to be in good shape as well.
I bet they do not rework cars before delivery. My car had a fingerprint in the paint and there is no way they didn't notice that at inspection. It makes more sense to deliver the car to someone who doesn't care about cosmetic defects. The loaner cars are usually not in good shape from what I read around here (mine wasn't great).

Reactions: tvad
I bet they do not rework cars before delivery. My car had a fingerprint in the paint and there is no way they didn't notice that at inspection. It makes more sense to deliver the car to someone who doesn't care about cosmetic defects. The loaner cars are usually not in good shape from what I read around here (mine wasn't great).
Maybe they tried sending them to Germany? That didn't work out so well...

• Funny
Reactions: Petrocelli
@VRUNNER very sorry to hear about your experience. You definitely made the hard but correct decision for yourself. Many people are too enamored with getting their new Tesla to be properly critical like you. We often question ourselves in the moment but if you got acknowledgement of the issues you found it is very likely that you're not overly critical and did the right thing. Here's to hoping your next delivery attempt is quick and perfect!

Reactions: Petrocelli and tvad

In this case, it’s a misaligned hood. About 5 minutes of work should fix that. The paint corrections will certainly take more time, but is doable.

I mean, in the absolute worst case, they install a new hood. That’s about 10 minutes of work ... it’s 4 bolts.

Certainly nowhere near crusher fodder!

In this case, it’s a misaligned hood. About 5 minutes of work should fix that. The paint corrections will certainly take more time, but is doable.

I mean, in the absolute worst case, they install a new hood. That’s about 10 minutes of work ... it’s 4 bolts.

Certainly nowhere near crusher fodder!
Not at all, agreed on the hood. But while they acknowledged it they were also hesitant about it too, one guy said it’s within spec, another was like oh wow, that’s far off...

As for the paint personally I wouldn’t repaint, it’s located in highly visible areas that are not flat. You would have to re spray the whole passenger side and blend it into the hood and trunk... Not worth it... worse yet if I look to trade later many dealers use paint thickness meters... I can see me know trying to explain what happened... “you see sir, there was these blemishes and... :eek: :D

just sell the car as is on the blemishes. I would have taken the car if they knocked something off.

When I bought my ELR the lot guy clipped a curb and put a sizable scratch on the passenger side lower valence. I was ok with painting it because the bumper clip is separate and slight paint variations are near impossible to detect, bumpers are typically sprayed separate of the cars at the factory anyway. After discussing options the dealer just took off 1000.00 and I was fine with that. I bought touch up, layered it, wet sanded a few times, could hardly tell afterwards.

I am anal about my cars, but also realize this one will be a long distance work vehicle not a show car. My ELR still looks new after 110k sans a few dings and marks.

Reactions: dmurphy